What's new

Timeless 0.68 SB vs Weber DLC vs Ikon Deluxe OC

I started wet shaving 13 years ago with a Muhle R89, then quickly bought a SS Weber with the Weber DLC head. The 3rd razor I bought was one of the first production runs of the Ikon Deluxe open comb with the bulldog handle (#92 in the production run).

The Weber is one I use daily, and the Muhle R89 is my travel razor. Both smooth, little risk of cutting myself unless I get careless. I have been getting the itch to buy a new razor, thinking of the Timeless 0.68 SB in stainless steel. Will the Timeless be noticeably better or smoother than the Weber?

I didn't use the Ikon for years; blade feel was intimidating, and thought of selling it numerous times. I just tried it again recently. As long as I am careful, it actually works pretty good. But for everyday shaving, the Weber is the one I use.

Bumping for comparisons against the Gamechanger: either.68-P or .84-P baseplates.

A 30 day trial is great, but it makes sense to have a better short list, so as to not waste the resources of a small manufacturer.

The other short list option I'm looking at are the various Tatara Masamune/Nodachi mashups.

Thanks!
... Thom

Make sure to try several blades on the Timeless 68. I thought it wasn't working for me and had already listed it for sale, but after trying a smattering of blades and finding real success, I killed the listing and kept it. Has gone from one of my least used razors to one of my most used. And it is now the razor I take on every trip out of town.

I started wet shaving 13 years ago with a Muhle R89, then quickly bought a SS Weber with the Weber DLC head. The 3rd razor I bought was one of the first production runs of the Ikon Deluxe open comb with the bulldog handle (#92 in the production run).

The Weber is one I use daily, and the Muhle R89 is my travel razor. Both smooth, little risk of cutting myself unless I get careless. I have been getting the itch to buy a new razor, thinking of the Timeless 0.68 SB in stainless steel. Will the Timeless be noticeably better or smoother than the Weber?

I didn't use the Ikon for years; blade feel was intimidating, and thought of selling it numerous times. I just tried it again recently. As long as I am careful, it actually works pretty good. But for everyday shaving, the Weber is the one I use.
Hello, I have the Weber SS, Ikon OSS and the Timeless 68. I find the Timeless the smoothest.

Hello, I have the Weber SS, Ikon OSS and the Timeless 68. I find the Timeless the smoothest.
I ended up buying a Timeless 0.68 with a SB, in SS. After the first pass, it almost feels like I am shaving without a blade. And the first pass feels pretty smooth.

What is stunning to me is I was reading about (and considering) the Blackbird regular and Lite. They talk about riding the cap, so the blade angle is shallow. When I use a shallow blade angle with the Ikon open comb, it is great. A really close shave. Previously, the Ikon felt almost like a bare blade against my skin. It was intimidating. I might still sell the Weber DLC. No chance that I am selling the Ikon OC Deluxe now.

I typically use Feather blades in my razors.

Glad you like the Timeless. I would advise not to sell the Weber. Once gone, very difficult to get one back.

I suspect you are right about the possibility of buying a weber back in the future --- but at least you can occasionally find them. The Ikon open comb deluxe, first production run with serial numbers, I really rarely see them, and the prices are also pretty high. I guess I will keep them both.

Does anyone know of a comparable razors to the Ikon deluxe open comb, first production run? In terms of blade exposure, blade gap. It is really, really nice. The Ikon clearly has greater blade exposure than the Muhle R89, Weber DLC, or Timeless 68 SB. There isn't much written about the Ikon.

Top Bottom