What's new

Time to face reality. I'm not a soap guy.

I've yet to try any of the fancy creams, but for me, I'm quicker with a brush and soap puck or stick than the Proraso Green cream I like to use when it's warm and humid out. What creams are you using?

I've used tube creams some years ago but the past number of years it's been hard soap except for Cella a cross between a hard soap and a cream, but I still lather on it as if it were a hard puck

I've yet to try any of the fancy creams, but for me, I'm quicker with a brush and soap puck or stick than the Proraso Green cream I like to use when it's warm and humid out. What creams are you using?

Currently, C.O. Bigelow, Proraso green, red, and blue, Cremo Cream (various flavors, extremely underrated), and a tube of Ben Sherman sandalwood.

Currently, C.O. Bigelow, Proraso green, red, and blue, Cremo Cream (various flavors, extremely underrated), and a tube of Ben Sherman sandalwood.

I can see the Cremo being faster than soaps but not Proraso, for me at least. That stuff always takes me a little longer, yet is totally worth it.

Do you use a brush with Proraso or just your hands? I’m intrigued.

It’s my understanding CO Bigelow and Proraso Green are the same product, do you notice a difference between them?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm just not a "puck in the cup" swirled with a brush shaving soap guy. I can no longer deny this reality. Lathering up a puck of soap in a mug is just...tedious.

Yes. Tedious.

I've got soaps in three mugs right now. I use them so seldom. They'll turn into fungus before I use them up.

Creams are just...better. They are. You may protest, but truly there is not a doubt in your military mind. You know.

My only concession would be shaving sticks like Arko or Palmolive. Brushes are just too time-consuming.
You are not alone. I prefer creams however, I’m just using Barbasol. I’ve been shaving at least 55 years and have used all kinds of lathers and the bottom line is that they don’t make a hell of a lot of difference. I shave with straight razors which are said to require exceptional lathers - not at all true. A good sharp razor and know how are all that are required. Just go with what suits you and leave it at that. It’s just shaving after all. Even pubescents can do it.

I can see the Cremo being faster than soaps but not Proraso, for me at least. That stuff always takes me a little longer, yet is totally worth it.

Do you use a brush with Proraso or just your hands? I’m intrigued.

It’s my understanding CO Bigelow and Proraso Green are the same product, do you notice a difference between them?

No real difference between the two. Bigelow's gold tubes are more eye-catching and are readily available at a Bath and Body Works, 3 tubes for $20.

And I hand-lather creams directly on the face.

But I am not merely some creature of convenience. Somewhere between Ohio and China...a straight razor and 8000 grit stone is currently in transit.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Thank goodness we are not all the same.
You do what works for you.
So long as it’s not illegal or immoral there isn’t anything wrong with your choice.
Keep shaving.

Fortunately, there are well over 1000 foams, gels, creams, croaps, soaps, hard pucks and even bar soaps in the marketplace. Thus, there is something that will work for everyone, no matter what their preference.

My skin is so sensitive that I get brush burn if I face lather, so I have to bowl lather and paint the lather on my face. I have evaluated about 170 different products across the entire range of product types. In order to use a shave stick, I have to press the soap into a bowl and load my brush and then lather in my lather bowl. My favorites are relatively soft artisan soaps that load very easily onto the brush (10-20 seconds), lather very easily in a bowl (30-60 seconds), have superb primary and residual slickness so the razor glides easily across my face, have sufficient cushion to protect my sensitive skin from a very sharp blade for an irritation-free shaves, and then leave my face feeling soft, smooth, moisturized, and well-conditioned for hours afterward without the use of any preshaves, aftershaves, balms or serums other than cool water and witch hazel. Fortunately, I have found a number of products that meet all of those criteria.

I think a video demonstration of you lathering Proraso cream with your hands is in order!

I have a face made for radio and a voice ideal for newspaper journalism. Rubbing cream on your face is hardly riveting entertainment. I would be demonitized by YouTube faster than a burst of electrons at the Hadron collider.

If I had to try to figure out MWF everyday, I would agree with you. I found it so tedious that I would probably just grow a beard.

If its the time it takes to load and lather that is the only reason you hate soaps - I think it is just the brand of soaps you are using. There are a lot of soaps out there that I can load and lather in like 10 to 15 seconds.

Top Bottom