What's new

Time to change blade (SE)?

How do you folks know that it is time to change a blade? I have normally just tossed my DE blades (Feather being the only one I have used) after 2 uses. Now that I am using AC's that are more expensive, I would hope to get more use out of them.

Reading only it looks like most people can use SE's for 10+ uses. For me, despite just shaving my face, after about 5-6 uses the Schick Proline I am using just does not seem 'smooth'. My last shave yesterday had really good results but it seemed like the razor was struggling to do its job. Seemed rough. I don't think it was the prep or lather because that felt really good.

So back to my original question, how do you guys know that it is time to change the blade?

I change my blades if :
They start to tug.
I have to do more than a little touch-up buffing.
It fails the 12-hour post-shave closeness check.

I do not try for ultra-high numbers of shaves by pushing the blade.
The blade lets me know when it's time to change.

I change my blades if :
They start to tug.
It fails the 12-hour post-shave closeness check.

I do not try for ultra-high numbers of shaves by pushing the blade.
The blade lets me know when it's time to change.
Thanks for replying back. Gives me some ideas on what to look at.

I am definitely not interested in high number of shaves either. Even if I have to toss my blade after 1-2 shaves, I have no issue. Just trying to get a better idea on how to figure out if it is time to toss them or not. Ha ha.

All good points from Nick Styptic. The one I quoted is a good immediate check for declining blade sharpness, and conveniently comes at the end of a shave, just when the tough end-of-blade-life decision needs to be made.

If your goal is comfortable and close shaving, don’t wait for a bad, tuggy, irritating shave.

I’m not an AC shaver, but I do sometimes get 10 or more shaves from a Gem PTFE SE blade without pushing it. Not always, though. So I pay attention to the touch up and bin the blade when touch up gets less than easy.

Top Bottom