What's new

Time for a New Brush

I’m long overdue for a new brush, and I was hoping to get some advice on what to try next. Trying to follow How to get good brush-picking-&-buying advice - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-to-get-good-brush-picking-buying-advice.98887/, here are my answers and questions:

1. I started out brush shaving with AoS, and have only had their Fine Badger and Silvertip brushes. I also have one of their regular badger travel brushes. I definitely prefer the softer silvertip over the fine.
  2. I rotate through a few different Proraso creams. I lather in a deep-sided bowl.
  3. Having only used natural badger brushes, I was thinking of trying a synthetic for my next one. Pretty sure I want it to be soft again. It wouldn’t take much to convince me to stay natural though if there’s something awesome out here that fits the rest of my criteria.
  4. I don’t have a strong opinion on brush aesthetics or handle shape/size/color, other than I probably don’t want a tiny handle or brush for comfort when lathering in my bowl.
  5. For budget I’d like to stay under $100 but don’t need to be at the top of that range unless it’s worth it.
  6. Looking for a medium to large brush to fit comfortably in the bowl I use.
  7. Based on reading through posts on here, I was thinking about getting a RazoRock 400 Plisson and RazoRock Plisson Monster to try both sizes and because I can’t believe the price. I also took a look at Muhle STF (= Silvertip Fiber, right?) but need some validation that it’s worth the 10x price jump over the RRs, and even considered a Wald but need something now and can’t wait for one of his drops.

So that’s about it. Anything else you’d recommend?

Awesome, thank you! I think I’ll try the Muhle but there’s an aluminum handle that I like a little better and is cheaper than the shavemacs. No difference in brush feel (that’s all in the knot, right?) if I go with a different handle, right? Do aluminum handles require any special care to prevent corrosion?

I see that the G5C is a knot-only purchase. I have no experience with buying knot and handle separately. Is it easy to set the knot in the handle?

I see that the G5C is a knot-only purchase. I have no experience with buying knot and handle separately. Is it easy to set the knot in the handle?

You can purchase a handle from APShave and he’ll set the knot for you. There was no charge when I got mine.

I agree with @Mustard Seed that the Muhle STF and G5C are both great synthetic knots. I’ve never used the Razorocks so can’t compare it though.

Edited to add: aluminum handles don’t require any extra care.

Last edited:
Well my expensive Brush was from Yaki it’s synthetic, and was under $18.00.

My beard is Old, Thin, and easy to remove.

My other Brush is Omega, under $10.00.

Both work for me.

I’m long overdue for a new brush, and I was hoping to get some advice on what to try next. Trying to follow How to get good brush-picking-&-buying advice - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-to-get-good-brush-picking-buying-advice.98887/, here are my answers and questions:

1. I started out brush shaving with AoS, and have only had their Fine Badger and Silvertip brushes. I also have one of their regular badger travel brushes. I definitely prefer the softer silvertip over the fine.
  2. I rotate through a few different Proraso creams. I lather in a deep-sided bowl.
  3. Having only used natural badger brushes, I was thinking of trying a synthetic for my next one. Pretty sure I want it to be soft again. It wouldn’t take much to convince me to stay natural though if there’s something awesome out here that fits the rest of my criteria.
  4. I don’t have a strong opinion on brush aesthetics or handle shape/size/color, other than I probably don’t want a tiny handle or brush for comfort when lathering in my bowl.
  5. For budget I’d like to stay under $100 but don’t need to be at the top of that range unless it’s worth it.
  6. Looking for a medium to large brush to fit comfortably in the bowl I use.
  7. Based on reading through posts on here, I was thinking about getting a RazoRock 400 Plisson and RazoRock Plisson Monster to try both sizes and because I can’t believe the price. I also took a look at Muhle STF (= Silvertip Fiber, right?) but need some validation that it’s worth the 10x price jump over the RRs, and even considered a Wald but need something now and can’t wait for one of his drops.

So that’s about it. Anything else you’d recommend?
You can't go wrong with the Razorock Plissoft brushes. The 26mm knot Monster and Big Bruce brushes (same knot, different handle) are on sale for under $10 each as I type this. They, and a 26mm Razorock Blondie (rebranded Zenith 80N) boar brushes, are the only three brushes I use. The plissofts quickly build plenty of lather and feel great. My Monster is over four years old and still going strong in spite of lots of use. Same for my 2+ year old Big Bruce. I use the boar for my hardest pucks or when I occasionally want some variety.

Top Bottom