What's new

Time check

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
+15s per day. That's not terrible... not like my Invicta! It can gain minutes, but I've recently learned about "self-regulating" - resting the watch in a specific position overnight. It seems to be helping.

+1 I once experimented with some automatics and found that process to be effective to a degree, but I usually wear my watch of the day(s) through the night so it doesn't help me ..

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Just now did a time check with time.gov

Hamilton Jazzmaster Regulator Cinema (that's a real mouthful).
1020210959_HDR~2.jpg
Synched 7 days ago.
Today 1-2 seconds slow.
I think that's better than my Seiko Quartz whatever
Rivals my Seiko Kinetic.
I think I'll keep this one for another week and see how it's doing.

captp

My newest Hamilton, the Khaki Navy Scuba, has been keeping good time. Only 2 days in and its fast by 5 seconds/day. Very acceptable. Another Hamilton with the same movement (H10) is good to 2 seconds/day.

captp

Just Received a brand new Aqua Terra last Tuesday. In the last 6 days it has not gained more than about 1/2 second per day. Currently 1 second ahead of what I set it at Tuesday.

1/6 second per day sounds like a keeper to me.

Just Received a brand new Aqua Terra last Tuesday. In the last 6 days it has not gained more than about 1/2 second per day. Currently 1 second ahead of what I set it at Tuesday.

1/6 second per day sounds like a keeper to me.
The newer Omegas are truly amazing timekeepers.

My Omega SMP 300M loses 1.7seconds per day. I do a time hack every Sunday using GMT from the national airspace system.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great thread!

Two new ones, self winding automatics Orient Kanno and Orient Ray Raven II.

Both are non-gray purchases, one from the factory and one from Teddy B.

With Orients I think that's important to note, as I got a gray market one and it was DOA. Sent up warning signs, but glad I persisted because ...

Kanno: Two seconds a week fast. Amazing!

Ray II: A speed demon. Gains about 4 seconds a day. Not a deal breaker, actually well within parameters.

Seiko dive watch I've had for decades: Yeesh. Probably gains 10 seconds a day. Once a week I reset it. A durable old friend.

True performer: Bulova Lunar Pilot, ironically a gray purchase. This crazy-accurate watch goes months and months without being touched ... it is off by like a second. Seriously. It IS a battery watch, however. But more accurate than the atomic Casios, if they don't sync.

EDIT: Forgot I have two Vostoks, Scuba Dude and an aviator. Both run fast but acceptable. Faces just seem small since I'm used to larger watches like the Lunar Pilot and the Kanno.

Just got a package from Germany, Cheapest NATO Straps. Thanks, forum enablers! Woohoo! Cool new James Bond and canvas bands, and a decent watch tool for once ...

AA

Last edited:

captp

Great thread!

Two new ones, self winding automatics Orient Kanno and Orient Ray Raven II.

Both are non-gray purchases, one from the factory and one from Teddy B.

True performer: Bulova Lunar Pilot, ironically a gray purchase. This crazy-accurate watch goes months and months without being touched ... it is off by like a second. Seriously. It IS a battery watch, however. But more accurate than the atomic Casios, if they don't sync.

AA
I'm considering a Lunar Pilot. Near dead ringer for the Speedmaster, +-10 seconds/year.
The atomic Casios don't need a particularly accurate movement as they sync daily the atomic clock. I have a G-Shock that syncs.

I've bought a couple of watches from Teddy B., plus 2 others from Gray Market, based on his reviews, including the Aqua Terra. I like his 2 YT watch channels, but there are 2 things about him that annoy me (minor nits); his penchant for turtlenecks (can't stand them), and his pronunciation of 2 words...supposably & undoubtebly...they just drive me up the wall.

I like to check my quartz accuracy over the months and years. I lost the data on an old phone (WatchCheck app) but I was able to see how the clock drifted up and down between summer and winter months.

More recently I took my casio G-Lide out of hibernation. It had been in the dark all winter and had not been synced to my newer smartphone for a long time, maybe gaining 20 seconds over the past year. So even without a bluetooth time sync, it was good to know that it keeps good time.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Most autos can be easily regulated if ya aint ascared of taking off the case back .. I have my Vostoks running almost as well (within COSC easily) as the GMT II - which I would never do myself as I can't afford that potential repair bill having just sprung for the service

I just got into watches. I only have one automatic... a Kaltron. I think it's a department store brand from the 70's or so made by a generic Swiss maker. It doesn't do terrible. It loses 7 seconds or so a day. Considering I picked it up on ebay for under $50 I'll take it. I even plan to have it serviced. I have an old acquaintance (who is a great guy) who services watches. He even builds custom automatic watches with eta swiss movements for a decent price ($500ish).

And of course my Wenger quarts gains a second over a few weeks. Chinese quartz movements usually can best a swiss automatic. I will say I opened the case on the Wenger and it's build quality is night and day over even name brand watches that we all know are made in China... maybe with the cheapest possible Japanese movement if it's "higher end."

captp

One of the things that kept me from jumping on a certified chronometer over the last year or so is that I was concerned that I would be disappointed in its accuracy. I already had 2 automatic that seemed to meet COSC standards, gaining or losing only 1 to 3 seconds per day; they were both about 1/4 the price (or less] of any of the chronometers I was considering. I wondered how much better than that I would get from a certified chronometer.
Well, suffice it to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I finally broke down and got the Aqua Terra. At a gain of just over 4 seconds in 16 days (1/4 second per day), I am happy as a pig in mud.
I'm guessing that most companies won't spend the money to submit movements for certification unless they wildly beat the -4 to +6 seconds allowed by COSC.

One of the things that kept me from jumping on a certified chronometer over the last year or so is that I was concerned that I would be disappointed in its accuracy. I already had 2 automatic that seemed to meet COSC standards, gaining or losing only 1 to 3 seconds per day; they were both about 1/4 the price (or less] of any of the chronometers I was considering. I wondered how much better than that I would get from a certified chronometer.
Well, suffice it to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I finally broke down and got the Aqua Terra. At a gain of just over 4 seconds in 16 days (1/4 second per day), I am happy as a pig in mud.
I'm guessing that most companies won't spend the money to submit movements for certification unless they wildly beat the -4 to +6 seconds allowed by COSC.
That’s some outstanding precision!

I’ve been very impressed by Omega’s newer master chronometer certified movements.

captp

Reset the Aqua Terra 12 days ago. It is currently less than 1 second fast.

so today I realized I needed to fix my date this month and accidentally spun the time hack. I had to use time.gov to reset it because I left my Garmin 405 at home. I prefer a GPS sync vs doing it online.

Top Bottom