What's new

Tightness when setting the knot

Hey

I just got my Golden Nib Finest badger knot in the mail. It's the 20mm fan shape. The diameter of the hole is 21mm. I was wondering if it mattered how tight the fit was when setting the knot. I can get it in but it is quite tight and it seems to give the brush a lot of backbone, maybe too much... Will it get softer once I use it? or should I worry about it and sand the hole a bit? The loft is 50mm when in the handle and it still seems like a lot of backbone for a 20mm knot.

The tightness of the hole does contribute to backbone. It wont hurt to be a little tight or a little loose. For your brush to not be to floppy I would make sure its a little tight or shorten the loft a little. A 20mm fan with a loft of 50 seems a little to tall to me.

hope this helps

If you set it with epoxy it's not going to matter because the epoxy is going to fill any gaps. If it is really loose you can always add some filler material like sawdust with the epoxy.

Clayton

The tightness of the hole does contribute to backbone. It wont hurt to be a little tight or a little loose. For your brush to not be to floppy I would make sure its a little tight or shorten the loft a little. A 20mm fan with a loft of 50 seems a little to tall to me.

hope this helps

I would have thought the same thing about the loft being a little too high, but it really does feel like it has a ton of backbone. Way more than my Simpson commodore X2 and my custom 23mm x 50mm Shavemac. I guess I'll really see once the epoxy has fully hardened.

The backbone you speak of is just how the Finest knot is. I have the B&B LE brush with that knot and it feels like it beats me about the throat when I use it. But the tips are pretty soft. I also have a big Finest bulb at 28mm. It's much softer than the fan, tons of backbone there also, but it doesn't feel as uncomfortable. To be completely honest, I have more trouble with the Finest knot in general lathering anything than I have had with any other knot! It takes twice the work for me either bowl or face, soap or cream. I cannot explain it!

Even with a finest knot I would set it below 50mm. I have two finests set at 48/49 and two set at 45. I think the closer to 45 the better.

Top Bottom