What's new

Tight piston filler

I picked up a montblanc fountain pen yesterday. Yesterday I flushed it out a few times and noticed the piston filler was really tight as it was sucking up but not when pushing the water out. I’m assuming the piston hasn’t been used in a while and just needs some grease? Or will filling it with ink grease it up enough?

Is it used ?? Or new ??

I have no Mont Blanc experience, but i know that TWSBI and LAMY are easy enough to get apart and relubricate pieces,,,,Just the inking may be enough if it is fairly new and the flushes have been clear....Just let it dry for 24 hours or so

I got it from a pawn shop so new to me but used.
I just ordered some grease and some lubricant ink. We’ll see if that helps at all

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
That should do the trick. I kinda wonder, though, how to you access the piston? On a Pelikan, you can unscrew the nib unit and run the grease down there with a cotton swab. But MB nibs don’t unscrew, do they?

That should do the trick. I kinda wonder, though, how to you access the piston? On a Pelikan, you can unscrew the nib unit and run the grease down there with a cotton swab. But MB nibs don’t unscrew, do they?
They unscrew kinda the same, a tool to unscrew the back piston off the barrel instead of the nib.

Ok so I took apart the pen because the piston was just way too tight. Was worried it would break, no surprise the piston was bone dry not a drop a grease on it.
Now I’m pretty sure I have to grease the part that is right where the clear plastic meets the black plastic. Just wanted to make sure before I make a mistake.
338B0146-BFC2-4A8A-AAA5-1E4FF8090309.jpeg

Ok so I took apart the pen because the piston was just way too tight. Was worried it would break, no surprise the piston was bone dry not a drop a grease on it.
Now I’m pretty sure I have to grease the part that is right where the clear plastic meets the black plastic. Just wanted to make sure before I make a mistake.
View attachment 1243703
YES, lubricate the o-ring, thats it, and then exercise the *&*&& out of it :)

So update to the right piston. Silicone grease came in today and I put a little on the piston right away. Put a little in the threads too just to make sure no leakage and a nice seal.
Night and day difference, the piston glides up and down super smooth not tight at all. Also filled the pen with a new ink that came in today, Noodlers Blue eel.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
How’s it making out? I just ordered blue eel after reading about the added lubricant.

How’s it making out? I just ordered blue eel after reading about the added lubricant.
Adding the silicone did the trick for sure. The blue eel is a really nice ink, I love the colour and it has some nice shading to it.
I’m not sure how the eel will do on its own but I put it in another pen yesterday to test out the lubrication.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Adding the silicone did the trick for sure. The blue eel is a really nice ink, I love the colour and it has some nice shading to it.
I’m not sure how the eel will do on its own but I put it in another pen yesterday to test out the lubrication.
Good to see. About the pen and ink. My collection of noodlers is mostly the bulletproof which is why I stopped using them years ago (sort of forgot) so excited to try the eel.

Good to see. About the pen and ink. My collection of noodlers is mostly the bulletproof which is why I stopped using them years ago (sort of forgot) so excited to try the eel.
Same here every ink I have is bulletproof(black, red, purple) This is my first non bulletproof noodlers ink. I had a stash of cartridges that I was working through for my other montblanc.

A little off the subject, but I’m clueless on pen lubrication.

When I received my TWSBI it came with a small vial of silicone grease. I get that the silicone is used to lube the rubber bits of the piston.

But the also mention wheel bearing grease with no further mention of what to do with it. What’s the wheel bearing grease for and how do I use it?

Top Bottom