What's new

Thury Info Needed

I've got a thury headed my way for a little test drive, and I could use a little info on how to drive it. The main thing I'm wondering is about the use of slurry. I know you can generate a slurry, but what I'm wondering is if a thury's slurry is similar to a coti's slurry in that it has a certain dulling effect on the blade. To achieve maximum keenness on a thury, is it necessary to slowly dilute the slurry until you're just working with water (as is done with a coti)?

The short answer to your question is no, you don't need or typically use a slurry with a Thuringian stone, and I wouldn't use it in the same way as a coticule. To my knowledge, a Thuringian is useful only as a finisher for a blade that is already correctly beveled and sharpened on your other stones. You use water on the Thuringian and slide the edge along the stone in an X pattern. That's typically all you need to get a really fine finish or polish on an edge that is already sharp. I know you can use a coticule this way too, but most of the time I use the coti before I get to the finishing step and while I'm still trying to get the edge as sharp as possible.

Thuri's make a little slurry with use naturally. Or you can deliberately slurry them with a DMT or slurry stone to make them work a little faster. I always finish with at least a few strokes on water. I'll typically do several passes with thin slurry on my 7x1.5" then move to a 4x1 or 5x1 with just water for the finishing touches.

They don't operate like coticules. A thick slurried Thuri would not be a competent beveling stone as a coti can be.

Top Bottom