What's new

Three Walnut Scale Sets Are In the Making...

Decided to do three sets at once. For me, it's the finishing that takes the most time. Might as well have a few drying at the same time.

DSCN6180 - Doubled Scale Blanks.jpg

Spent an hour or so hand sanding them into their basic outlines this afternoon. Two will be pinned at either end. One will also be pinned amidships. I'll thin them down tomorrow. They will be dressed/finished with either tung oil or a poly urethane. I'll decide after I've put a coat or three on some walnut scraps.
DSCN6181 - All Three Shaped.jpg

Sanded all three sets down to the correct depth and shaped them today. I rounded the bottom scales. The other two are flat on the sides with a very gentle rounded edges. Tomorrow I'll make and install the wedges. Pictures coming after the wedges are in place.

Very nice, I can’t wait for spring when my outdoor workshop will be warm enough to use. The wife won’t let me sand anything in the basement..... lol I don’t blame her...

What razors are going in them? How will you finish them? Oil or CA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tung, Tung and Urethane mix, or Polyurethane... I'll do a test run with each of the finishes...

Amboss and Mann, a Zaliel, and a King Cutter. 5/8s for the first two. The Boker is a 4/8s. They go into the scales from top to bottom.

Great project, I'll be watching. I have a Case with wood scales that I want to restore, very interesting to see how you finish them.

Put on the second coat a few hours ago. I lightly steel wool between coats. I'm using a tin of Red Devil Tung and Poly Satin finish on these. I thinned the stuff a bit for the first coat to gets deeper penetration. The second coat went on right from the tin. Each coat is rubbed in with a lint-free cloth. Usually takes between 7 and 10 coats.

Maple, birch, cherry and hickory are all closed pore/ closed grain woods. Softwoods and some hardwoods (oak, ash, mahogany and walnut) are open pore/ open grain woods. I am hoping my thinned coat closed the pores and subsequent coats smoothly fill them in. The jury is still out. The good news is if the finish does not smooth out it just means I have good looking scales that also provide a good grip. :001_rolle

Third coat went on an hour ago. Poor lighting. The two on the outside have the same sheen as the one in the center.
DSCN6193 - Third Coat 1.jpg

If you are trying to pore fill these types of wood then try wet sanding with the finish on them at the early stages especially with an oil finish.
Its a perfect color match and the "slurry" fills the pores and leaves a beautifully smooth coat.

Two of the scales now have razors. The third is waiting for the right blade. I decided to put the Amboss & Mann into slimmer scales. The last set is too big for a 4/8s.
DSC_6058-Zaliel Razor Works No 20.jpg
DSC_6066 - Amboss and Mann Beauty Shot.jpg

Top Bottom