What's new

Three Ever-Ready Brushes In-Progress

It's been a while since I've restored any brushes, but I finally got off my duff and started in on these three. All three are Ever-Ready, of varied ages.

$IMG_2814.jpg

The above photo shows them pretty much as I got them. The green and black is a Model 200. The red and black is a more recent 300PBT, and the cream and blue is a 100.

$IMG_2815.jpg

In this picture, the knots have been all removed (with the help of a drill with a Forstner bit and a Dremel tool with a sanding drum). The red and black 300PBT had the hole enlarged significantly and the sharp-edged top section reshaped with sandpaper. The knot shelves were removed, so the entire handles are hollow. Filler and weights will be added later.

Since these photos were taken, I've ordered replacement badger knots from Virginia Sheng on eBay (22 mm Silvertip for the Model 200, a 20mm Silvertip, and a 20 mm Finest. I haven't decided which one will go where yet). I've also spent a considerable time hand polishing with Novus plastic polish (#3 Heavy, #2 Fine, and #1 Clean & Shine), and they're looking pretty good. Once the new knots are received, I'll test fit them, make adjustments as necessary, load the cavities with filler and weights, and then epoxy the knots in place. Final steps will be to repaint the engravings, give them a final polish, and then seal them with Renaissance Wax.

I'll post more pics as the process moves along. :001_cool:

I guess I should change the title of this thread to "Four Ever-Ready Brushes In-Progress"

I picked up this 300E Black & Lucite brush this weekend at a flea market. I haven't ordered a new knot yet, but it just needs a little more polishing and it'll be ready to go.

$IMG_2824.jpg

$IMG_2826.jpg

Success! The initial three brushes are finished and just need a good cleaning/de-funking and they'll be ready to go.

1) Ever-Ready 300PBT, 20mm VS Silvertip Badger Knot, approx. 50mm Loft.
$IMG_2832.jpg

2) Ever-Ready 100, 20mm VS Finest Badger Knot, approx 55mm Loft.
$IMG_2833.jpg

3) Ever-Ready 200, 22mm VS Silvertip Badger Knot, approx. 50mm Loft.
$IMG_2834.jpg

Once they're cleaned and develop a bloom, I'll post a final set of photos. The Virginia Sheng (VS) knots are quite nice, particularly considering the cost. Shipping from China was extremely fast.

WOW Dang Fine Work there Larry!!!! Very Well Done, I am currently on the hunt for some restore projects of my own in addition to making some hand turned marvels for my Sons as well:thumbup:

Those are all great, but the ER 200 is truly spectacular. Great work. I agree on the quality of the VS knots. The silvertips are especially nice and a fine value. Thanks for posting your work.

Top Bottom