What's new

Thoughts on Tsushima

A few months back I picked up a nice, very very hard full sized Kiita awasedo. Recently, I have been playing around with a Tsushima black nagura I have had for quite some time thats been lying around the house. Needless to say, I like the results Im getting. Not anything fast, but It is steady with sort of a linear slurry breakdown. The clay or mud binder seems to have a little diffrent quality to it that I like a lot. I am thinking about picking up a full sized stone and wanted to know from those with more experience and or opinions. My guess would be that Im getting more breakdown on my awasedos than I would using the tsushima full size stone. But maybe Im wrong and that stone would bring something else to the table Im missing?

I have a full size one and while it is excellent, I hardly use it.

Keith @Gamma is likely your best bet to get the answers you need. Hopefully he will chime in.

+1 I have a full size also and haven't touched it in a few years. I have faster mid-range jnats if I want to go that way.

I also have a large bench stone, I use mine to set bevels for an all J-Nat progression. Mine came out of a group tested for such purpose from So san.
While I would not use it in place of a 1K Nani Pro, for edges that don't need that aggressive an approach this stone works well.
I would say mine is not typical though as I go form it to a fast Suita then to a fine finisher.
This combination seems to work every time on chip prone edges.

I do also have a nice suita that would fit the bill. But... I just really like the Tsushima nagura I have. I will probably just go buy one. In the land of JNats they are not overly expensive.

I also have a large bench stone, I use mine to set bevels for an all J-Nat progression. Mine came out of a group tested for such purpose from So san.
While I would not use it in place of a 1K Nani Pro, for edges that don't need that aggressive an approach this stone works well.
I would say mine is not typical though as I go form it to a fast Suita then to a fine finisher.
This combination seems to work every time on chip prone edges.

Yea, on the suita. For me, it is my SOP if have some errand scratches on a good overall bevel. It usually wipes them out quick. Plus I can normally get by not having to run the mikawa progression.

Using TSB slurry on Awasedo, or anything else, is much different than honing directly on a large piece of TSB. The constant flow of fresh abrasive into the slurry is the main difference.
The ocean variety of TSB is a finer stone usually useable for razors. The mountain variety is coarser and less consistent, not so good for razors and usually very cheap compared to ocean TSB.
I would not want to use ocean TSB as a bevel setter - it's a mid-range to upper mid-range stone. It is a different type of stone, not shale like Awasedo; thus the fingerprint on steel is different and the honing process is also different. In a progrssion for honing razors, they make you think and work - and you sorta have to be very dialed into the feedback. I have a skinny one that I really like to use in a particular touch-up regimen for a couple of blades with grind issues.

Using TSB slurry on Awasedo, or anything else, is much different than honing directly on a large piece of TSB. The constant flow of fresh abrasive into the slurry is the main difference.
The ocean variety of TSB is a finer stone usually useable for razors. The mountain variety is coarser and less consistent, not so good for razors and usually very cheap compared to ocean TSB.
I would not want to use ocean TSB as a bevel setter - it's a mid-range to upper mid-range stone. It is a different type of stone, not shale like Awasedo; thus the fingerprint on steel is different and the honing process is also different. In a progrssion for honing razors, they make you think and work - and you sorta have to be very dialed into the feedback. I have a skinny one that I really like to use in a particular touch-up regimen for a couple of blades with grind issues.[/QUOTE

Thanks, that's in line with what I was thinking based upon some of my other stones, naguras and how they act.

[QUOTE = "Gamma, post: 9192149, membro: 31979"]
Non vorrei usare Ocean TSB come smussatore: è una pietra di fascia medio-alta. È un tipo diverso di pietra, non di scisto come Awasedo; quindi l'impronta digitale sull'acciaio è diversa e anche il processo di levigatura è diverso. In una progressione per affilare i rasoi, ti fanno pensare e lavorare - e devi essere molto attento al feedback. Ne ho uno magro che mi piace molto usare in un particolare regime di ritocco per un paio di lame con problemi di molatura.
[/ CITAZIONE]
I have seen someone use it as a finishing nagura on nakayama or ozuku. Do you have experience as a last stone?

I have a Tsushima bench stone that I like very much. When I have to do a full sequence on a razor, I use it after the Shapton Glass 2K. It has the qualities I like in a natural razor stone: decently hard, and very uniform. Sometimes I go from there to a suita, but just as often I go straight to the asagi.

It's entirely possible that I could just skip it and go straight to the suita, but I really like using it, and it seems to set up a really good base for wherever I go next.

I have both - large brick Tsushima Black and small Tsushima ocean blue. First is mid range soft juicy that almost do not use . The ladder is super hard super finisher that I love

Top Bottom