What's new

Thoughts on Shaving, Wet Shavers and life

I've been a member of B&B for over a year now, probably going on a year and a half. I joined in September of 2006 and have been wet shaving since then. I've learned a lot from the people who were here before me. I hope that I have been able to be helpful to other new wet shavers too. I just wanted to share a few tips and tricks I use, as well as a few philosophical moments.

I originally found this forum the same way most of you probably did. I was having bad shaving experiences and knew there was a better way to do it. I don't know if I got linked to the site through Wikipedia, or just a google search. Whatever it was, my shaving experience instantly took a turn for the better. I welcomed the feeling of a great shave. I also enjoyed the company of the friendly members of B&B. I had just started an internship at a printing company in Manassas, VA and didn't know anyone in the area. The hours I spent on the forums made me feel less lonely. It also gave me opportunities to explore the surrounding DC area in search of good shaving products.

The Wet Shaver
The wet shaver is an interesting specimen indeed. We come from all walks of life. All age groups, professions, nationalities and races and even sexes. Yep, I converted my girlfriend into a wet shaver (legs of course).

One thing that I have noticed about almost every member of this forum is the dedication and desire to do things the right way. This reflects in every facet of our lives, not only shaving. Members of this forum roast their own coffee, drink loose leaf tea, talk about the pleasures of single malt whiskey, brew their own beer, are great cooks and even make their own shaving hardware and software.

The wet shaver will not settle for mediocrity. We look for quality in every facet of our lives.

Thoughts on Shaving
I enjoy the luxuries of wet shaving as much as the next person. I dont always have the funds to purchase that $20 puck of soap (no matter how long it will last) or a $100 Super Duper Badger brush. I want to give a brief outline of the products I have found that won't break and leave you feeling like a king.

Soap
Think quality, not cheap. There are a lot of vendors affiliated with the site that offer great prices, even though their name isn't Trumper, Taylor or Truefitt. For soaps, I look no further than MamaBear or QED. Glycerine soaps last a good while, and lather like no other. You can't beat Mama Bear's wide selection of scents. My skin is pretty sensitive to crazy fragrances. Much to my chagrins, I can't use Bay Rum soaps. Sue makes a great fragrance called "Marauder's Citrus". This citrusy bay rum gives me that bay rum kick, without the burning. While you are there, check out Sue's summer aftershaves. They are labeled "summer", but I use them all year.

Charles at QED also makes a mean soap. People with sensitive skin beware. Some of the stronger scents like Pine Cedarwood and Bay Rum may burn.

Florena is great. If you are in the US, write to one of our friends in The Great White North and get some. You will thank me.

Prep
Pre-shave oils, lotions and balms. Take em or leave em. They do nothing for me. If you like them, more power to you. Get to know Kyle's pre-shave post well. I don't use it every day, but when I do, I get amazing shaves.

Never underestimate the power of Aqua Velva. For those of you that are college age, it is a major chick magnet. Ditch the Axe (if you haven't already done so). Aqua Velva also happens to be a great aftershave. Think you don't like alcohol based aftershaves? Think again. AV has helped cool and relieve my skin after some of my nastiest shaves. If you are looking for other scents for yourself or to attract the ladies, keep a close eye on the BST forum. I recently bought a nearly full bottle of T&H Freshman for $40. This is typically a $75 bottle of cologne. My girlfriend loves it too.

I had more to write, but seem to have hit a wall here. My best suggestion is to enjoy the variety but don't get too caught up in it that you amass too much. I've only bought 2 pucks of soap in the past 6 months. Right now, I'm still sitting on at least 6 Mama Bear pucks, a few tubes of Florena, a tub of Nancy Boy, a tub of Taylor's St. James. Thats just off the top of my head.

Pretty great and well stated post.

I also gotta say I love your nick and sig. For all my luck in the world, my favorite band played their final shows starting on my birthday. Wonderful timing. :/

What a great post, Ed! What you say is so true...your observations about wetshavers are spot on. I also agree with curbing the acquisitions (keeping it fiarly simple)...but I think it comes naturally. Most of us, I believe, start to slow down after a year or two (I have slowed down myself over the last few months). We all joke that wetshaving was supposed to save money, then we spend all this money and think we've made a bad choice (economically speaking)...but it levels out and it truly DOES start to save money (not to mention by the time we slow down we've accumulated 10 years worth of shaving products).

I guess my point is, don't fear the acquisitions! They're natural enough and will (probably) subside.

All of that having been said, I just ordered a speick shave stick and some more speick aftershave (I really did).

I think this is also a fantastic post. Mama bear is the first soap I started with, and despite wandering around a bit and trying different things, I always return to her soaps. They are affordable AND excellent, no need for a three T's soap when I can have hers!

...One thing that I have noticed about almost every member of this forum is the dedication and desire to do things the right way. This reflects in every facet of our lives, not only shaving. Members of this forum roast their own coffee, drink loose leaf tea, talk about the pleasures of single malt whiskey, brew their own beer, are great cooks and even make their own shaving hardware and software.

The wet shaver will not settle for mediocrity. We look for quality in every facet of our lives...

Interesting, I am a homebrewer, home coffee roaster, drink loose leaf tea or none at all, really enjoy a single malt (although bourbon finds a home in my cabinet as well) love to cook and am in the process of gathering the supplies to make shave soap.

Oh, I ALSO: Am a drummer in a band, do most of my own mechanical work (1989 BMW E30, and a 1974 vespa Rally 200) and I am into jui-jitsu and MMA.

Am I crazy or are there others that are as hobby-crazy as myslef?:w00t:

The acquisition mode is certainly easy enough to get into. Variety across the board on steroids makes collecting worse than Pokemon (gotta try em all). While I'm lucky my gf doesn't raise an eyebrow over the things I order, I would at myself if I amassed a few years worth of products. I tend to be fairly frugal and like starting small before jumping into something I haven't developed a dislike for. And while I agree that there's a YMMV aspect to many of the stuff we use, I like to think that I can be discerning and selective without needing to experience every product in existence to determine what "the best" means to me.

The benefit of sites like this and a few others is the fact that I get to live rather vicariously through people who have spent a great deal more time and money then I (thanks fellas :tongue_sm). Reading people's experiences and reviews has narrowed many choices down for me where I might have otherwise have just paid into blindly, possibly only to find out it was a bad investment. Plus with things like the BST, group buys, passes, decanting, etc, this group has a pretty wonderful sense of community and sharing and that is a major benefit to belonging as well and gets things around faster and fairly inexpensively and to a pretty wide audience that might not have otherwise been able to experience them.

I've been a member of B&B for over a year now, probably going on a year and a half. I joined in September of 2006 and have been wet shaving since then. I've learned a lot from the people who were here before me. I hope that I have been able to be helpful to other new wet shavers too. I just wanted to share a few tips and tricks I use, as well as a few philosophical moments.

I originally found this forum the same way most of you probably did. I was having bad shaving experiences and knew there was a better way to do it. I don't know if I got linked to the site through Wikipedia, or just a google search. Whatever it was, my shaving experience instantly took a turn for the better. I welcomed the feeling of a great shave. I also enjoyed the company of the friendly members of B&B. I had just started an internship at a printing company in Manassas, VA and didn't know anyone in the area. The hours I spent on the forums made me feel less lonely. It also gave me opportunities to explore the surrounding DC area in search of good shaving products.

The Wet Shaver
The wet shaver is an interesting specimen indeed. We come from all walks of life. All age groups, professions, nationalities and races and even sexes. Yep, I converted my girlfriend into a wet shaver (legs of course).

One thing that I have noticed about almost every member of this forum is the dedication and desire to do things the right way. This reflects in every facet of our lives, not only shaving. Members of this forum roast their own coffee, drink loose leaf tea, talk about the pleasures of single malt whiskey, brew their own beer, are great cooks and even make their own shaving hardware and software.

The wet shaver will not settle for mediocrity. We look for quality in every facet of our lives.

Thoughts on Shaving
I enjoy the luxuries of wet shaving as much as the next person. I dont always have the funds to purchase that $20 puck of soap (no matter how long it will last) or a $100 Super Duper Badger brush. I want to give a brief outline of the products I have found that won't break and leave you feeling like a king.

Soap
Think quality, not cheap. There are a lot of vendors affiliated with the site that offer great prices, even though their name isn't Trumper, Taylor or Truefitt. For soaps, I look no further than MamaBear or QED. Glycerine soaps last a good while, and lather like no other. You can't beat Mama Bear's wide selection of scents. My skin is pretty sensitive to crazy fragrances. Much to my chagrins, I can't use Bay Rum soaps. Sue makes a great fragrance called "Marauder's Citrus". This citrusy bay rum gives me that bay rum kick, without the burning. While you are there, check out Sue's summer aftershaves. They are labeled "summer", but I use them all year.

Charles at QED also makes a mean soap. People with sensitive skin beware. Some of the stronger scents like Pine Cedarwood and Bay Rum may burn.

Florena is great. If you are in the US, write to one of our friends in The Great White North and get some. You will thank me.

Prep
Pre-shave oils, lotions and balms. Take em or leave em. They do nothing for me. If you like them, more power to you. Get to know Kyle's pre-shave post well. I don't use it every day, but when I do, I get amazing shaves.

Never underestimate the power of Aqua Velva. For those of you that are college age, it is a major chick magnet. Ditch the Axe (if you haven't already done so). Aqua Velva also happens to be a great aftershave. Think you don't like alcohol based aftershaves? Think again. AV has helped cool and relieve my skin after some of my nastiest shaves. If you are looking for other scents for yourself or to attract the ladies, keep a close eye on the BST forum. I recently bought a nearly full bottle of T&H Freshman for $40. This is typically a $75 bottle of cologne. My girlfriend loves it too.

I had more to write, but seem to have hit a wall here. My best suggestion is to enjoy the variety but don't get too caught up in it that you amass too much. I've only bought 2 pucks of soap in the past 6 months. Right now, I'm still sitting on at least 6 Mama Bear pucks, a few tubes of Florena, a tub of Nancy Boy, a tub of Taylor's St. James. Thats just off the top of my head.

Great post. I think your observations are spot on. Especially the part about our "dedication and desire to do things the right way". I still play records and only use film cameras and I'm 29 :biggrin:

Pretty good insight into the strange creature that is aqua scaberus. Thanks for the philosophical twist on what we do - loved the bit about "the dedication and desire to do things the right way."

I still play records and only use film cameras and I'm 29

As another member of the birth class of 1979, I, too, have a mighty fine vinyl collection, but can also understand the virtues of modernity... It's not all a lost cause or art! Just because records and razors from 50 years ago still work better than their modern-day counterparts doesn't necessarily mean it is the same for everything. That having been said, i shoot with both film and digital, and have deep love for their individual strengths.

Of course. Probably one of the things that contributed to the decline of my marriage. Wetshaving, fountain pens, bamboo fly rods with silk line and hand-tied flies, LPs, 1971 Alfa Romeo Spider, cooking, bass player (with tube amps), creating art, trying to repair things most folks would throw away, or build things rather than buy them, and so on . . . makes for a pretty cluttered lifestyle. :blushing:

As far as the shaving acquisitions go, I seem to have settled pretty much on one razor and one blade, and I'm at a point where I'm using up before buying more soaps and creams. In other words, I've settled into a groove. Although I would like to try a Slant . . .

Absotively,posolutely nail on the head Ed!

I although I have enough supplies to last a few years, I have been on here long enough to know that sometimes the things we like disappear,i.e., Coates shaving cream(reasonably priced,willG's shave soap, and 100 packs of Feather blades), so I'll keep buying regardless!(just not 2 the same rate of speed)

marty

This is true. I never had a chance to try the wonderous WilliG's soap. (if anyone wants to part with a puck, let me know!)

Great post. I think your observations are spot on. Especially the part about our "dedication and desire to do things the right way". I still play records and only use film cameras and I'm 29 :biggrin:

I am pushing 40 and I prefer film photography, jazz played on Long playing records at 33.3 rpm, coffee brewed in a french coffee press, craft brewed dark beer, a good Highland single malt once and while and I prefer to read the book comparerd to the movie and I wear a mechanical watch.

I think it's a certain breed of cat who takes the time to do things right.

Interesting, I am a homebrewer, home coffee roaster, drink loose leaf tea or none at all, really enjoy a single malt (although bourbon finds a home in my cabinet as well) love to cook and am in the process of gathering the supplies to make shave soap.

Oh, I ALSO: Am a drummer in a band, do most of my own mechanical work (1989 BMW E30, and a 1974 vespa Rally 200) and I am into jui-jitsu and MMA.

This makes me feel a little better; I am actually compelled to show this to my wife. :lol:

I too home brew beer, enjoy loose-leaf tea, love the single malts, am prepping to make some soaps and a bay rum AS, and do my own mechanical work (on my bike, Buell Firebolt XB12R w/ stage 1 race kit, custom exhaust, etc.). I'm not in a band though (absolutely no musical talent), but I do SCUBA dive (technical diving), rock climb, and am working on learning a couple more languages.

It's good to know there are more like us out there :cool:.

Best regards,
-mm

Top Bottom