What's new

Thoughts on a cheap espresso machine?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I have some better recommendations for you, if you would like to get a quality espresso machine, that will do all a home owner needs.

Do you already own a separate conical burr grinder? If you answer YES to that question, then I'd recommend you get the

Breville Infuser Espresso Machine, BES840XL.
1689222181583.png

However, if you don't own a separate conical burr grinder, then it would be worth it to pay a few extra dollars for the convenience, to get a model that comes with its own built in grinder.

Breville Barista Express Espresso Machine, BES870XL
1689222215393.png

On a budget and looking for a weekend model. How about this?

I'm not big into espresso and I'm sure there's going to be plenty of answers after mine explaining things better, but the majority of the cheaper machines just don't have the power. What are you looking to make? If it's just plain espresso or Americano's, you are probably fine. If it's fancier frothed milk drinks, a lot of the cheaper machines lose their steam in the making of the espresso and then there's not enough left over in the wand to froth the milk correctly.

I'm not familiar enough of what is "good enough" Bar pressure in a home machine to get by. I see this one has 20 and just for the heck of it, I looked up the Mr. Coffee one (figuring that would be the cheapest) and it has 15 Bar. It's also $60 less.

I use the Moka pot for when I want a concentrated cup of coffee, like was recommended above.

Espresso in and of its own right is a deeper rabbit hole than even shaving. I know it sounds crazy but trust me lol.

The breville machines are good options and considered the bare bones of "entry level" in the espresso world. They steam milk well and can make ok coffee with pre-ground beans.

They also can get you into quality home made espresso with the addition of a decent grinder.

I too would recommend a Bialetti or an Aeropress for big bodied coffees that mimic espresso while being affordable options.

Aeropress in particular are very capable no fuss coffee makers that can really be tuned to the drinkers preferences, they are incredibly flexible. They can make full cups of coffee as well though only one or two at a time.

Aeropress in particular are very capable no fuss coffee makers that can really be tuned to the drinkers preferences, they are incredibly flexible. They can make full cups of coffee as well though only one or two at a time.
I like the coffee taste and conveniance of using the Aeropress but I disagree with the idea of using it is safe since it's made of plastic. Near boiling water on plastic used daily is unhealthy IMHO after prolonged consumption. I think John Hopkins proved it saying micro particle plastic builds up in your body and may impair other bodily functions. There was a metal fabricator from Australia that made metal versions in stainless and copper but wasn't available to purchase from his site last time I tried. It's a shame that no one else makes a metal version of the Aeropress.

Last edited:
I like the coffee taste and conveniance of using the Aeropress but I disagree with the idea of using it is safe being made of plastic. Near boiling water on plastic used daily is unhealthy IMHO after prolonged consumption. I think John Hopkins proved it saying micro particle plastic builds up in your body and may impair other bodily functions. There was a metal fabricator from Australia that made metal versions in stainless and copper but wasn't available to purchase from his site last time I tried. It's a shame that no one else makes a metal version of the Aeropress.
Aeropress recently released a glass version I believe.

That or it might be released soon I can't recall.

Espresso in and of its own right is a deeper rabbit hole than even shaving. I know it sounds crazy but trust me lol.

The breville machines are good options and considered the bare bones of "entry level" in the espresso world. They steam milk well and can make ok coffee with pre-ground beans.

They also can get you into quality home made espresso with the addition of a decent grinder.

I too would recommend a Bialetti or an Aeropress for big bodied coffees that mimic espresso while being affordable options.

Definitely agree that getting into home espresso is a deeper rabbit hole than wet shaving. I have had several inexpensive espresso machines. They made decent espresso, but as soon as your beans start getting over the hill, the quality of the espresso declines. Unless you drink 6 cups daily, your beans will get stale before you run out of them. Now when I want espresso, I just go to a nearby coffee shop, but not Starbucks. An easy coffee to make at home is Greek/Turkish coffee, which is very low tech.

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Unfortunately, the "weekends on a budget" idea is set in stone for now - I'm not spending $300 to $600 for a home espresso machine. The one I listed was about $125 and features 20 Bar pressure; the Breville Infuser above is more elegant, but costs $600 (way out of range) and has just 15 Bar (though I realized that's not the only measure of success).

I have a few (conical) hand-grinders and usually make a Turkish-style cup at the office or a pour-over cup at home. I also used to work at a couple of independent espresso-centric coffee joints through the '90s, so while the tech has changed, I'm pretty familiar with that specific rabbit hole, and I really don't want to get that deep.

Maybe my best choice for now is to get a milk frother and pair that with some faux espresso and be done with it. I can look for a decent home machine when I retire and have the time for a daily cap (or two) at home.

Cheers, all. :cuppa:

I got sidetracked in my original comment, ultimately I think faux espresso is the best option.

My brother decided to chance it on a similar model to the one pictured, his unfortunately did not last long, a false economy if you will.

I get easily distracted around coffee

linty1

My wallet cries.
Went to a small coffee shop close by me... this is not a bad place, the roast is a little dark for me but its still pretty good. Unfort a) its not on the side going towards work, and b) they don't open early enough. I also like that the place, while not big, has little nooks and crannies you can sorta get into.

...ultimately I think faux espresso is the best option.

My brother decided to chance it on a similar model to the one pictured, his unfortunately did not last long, a false economy if you will.
I think you're probably right. We just remodeled the kitchen and SWMBO's not interested in adding appliances to the counters, anyway, so I'll just look for a frothing solution and have done with it (for now).

linty1

My wallet cries.
Went to a small coffee shop close by me... this is not a bad place, the roast is a little dark for me but its still pretty good. Unfort a) its not on the side going towards work, and b) they don't open early enough. I also like that the place, while not big, has little nooks and crannies you can sorta get into.
I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread, and its too late to delete, I'm sorry.

If the powers that be could either move it to "coffee are you drinking" or just delete? Thank you, and again, sorry.

Top Bottom