What's new

Thornton's Luxury Ink

^ Yeah I know, but typically stuff like ink doesn't get bad reviews from people who don't know any better, because fountain pens are a niche hobby these days. Maybe there was a bad batch or something from October to December.

I'm interested in it because I like the classic Pelikan bottle design. I saw the recent 1-star reviews and it gave me pause.

Then again, people LOVE Noodlers inks, which I hate, so... *shrug*

Well I don't know a thing about ink...what makes it good or bad....but I figured I'd give this stuff a try and I ordered a bottle of red and bottle of green....and while I was at it I threw in a Jinhao X450....got it all from Pens n More on ebay for a total of about $12 shipped...if it flows through my pens I'll be happy!

Going to bump this thread as Doug's recent post about this ink encouraged me to pick up a couple bottles.

Went on the bay and got 2 bottles of blue for less than $7 shipped. Most definitely in the honeymoon phase, and I've only done a bit of writing with a dipped pen, but I'm very impressed. A very nice blue that I even noticed a touch of shading with. Waterman Florida Blue has been my go-to blue, but this ink, at a fraction of the cost and equally pleasing (if not better) color is looking promising to become my new daily blue.

It looks like Thorntons is headquartered very close to me in a suburb of Chicago. Interestingly, the 2 bottles I got on eBay were actually shipped directly from Thorntons in Hickory Hills. Per their website, they've been in the office supply business for over 30 years but only got into fine writing instruments in 2006.

I may have to reach out to them to see if it's possible to swing by their HQ and meet the team / purchase additional inks directly from them...

I also purchased two bottles as well based on Doug's praise of the ink and purchased two bottles of the blue. So far after a week of use I have enjoyed it, and as a inexpensive everyday ink I couldnt ask for more even better for me it stands up to being highlighted I'm very pleased with this purchase thank you [MENTION=21099]nemo[/MENTION] for your enabling:thumbup1:

[MENTION=21099]nemo[/MENTION] my Safari has been inked for about a month and a half now with Thornton's Blue, and I can see why you've been using it as an EDC. The ink plays well on most papers I've tried, and it's just a pleasant, no-nonsense blue. With the Lamy medium nib, I even see some subtle shading on TR, which is shocking to me at this price point.

Only issue I had was letting it go about 2 weeks without use around Thanksgiving ; took a nudge from the converter to get it flowing freely again, but I wasn't shocked at the drier flow after not using it for 16 days.

It was probably just a one-off, but I ordered some Thornton's bottles on 12/1. When they hadn't arrived in 2 1/2 weeks (or even shown as shipped), I pinged the seller. They shipped two days later, and tracking says they'll be here on 12/28. For the incredible price, I don't mind waiting if the ink is good. But 4 weeks is a long lag between order and delivery when both buyer and seller are in the U.S.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It was probably just a one-off, but I ordered some Thornton's bottles on 12/1. When they hadn't arrived in 2 1/2 weeks (or even shown as shipped)

Hmmm, probably an oversight on their shipping department side as I got mine in California each time in only a few days.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Glad you like it, I know I do. As far as the drying, I doubt many inks would flow freely after a couple weeks in a Safari. :blush:

@nemo my Safari has been inked for about a month and a half now with Thornton's Blue, and I can see why you've been using it as an EDC. The ink plays well on most papers I've tried, and it's just a pleasant, no-nonsense blue. With the Lamy medium nib, I even see some subtle shading on TR, which is shocking to me at this price point.

Only issue I had was letting it go about 2 weeks without use around Thanksgiving ; took a nudge from the converter to get it flowing freely again, but I wasn't shocked at the drier flow after not using it for 16 days.

Glad you like it, I know I do. As far as the drying, I doubt many inks would flow freely after a couple weeks in a Safari. :blush:

This is very true! At first I was surprised but then I remembered reading that various Lamys have potential issues when not used for extended periods of time.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Well, all good things must come to an end, I don't see the 2 bottle deal any longer. :sob:

I'm bumping this thread, because I've had a chance now to try a couple of the Thornton's inks. I didn't get the smoking good 2 for $3 deal, but I paid somewhere between 4 and 5 dollars per bottle shipped, which is still pretty reasonable. Thornton's lost my first order, which did not make a good first impression, but they reshipped promptly when I inquired.

My take is that this is very basic, very solid everyday ink in very basic, very solid everyday colors. The blue is blue. The red is red. The green is green. There aren't any Polynesian Sunsets or Endangered Coral aspects to the ink. None of the colors is an "-ish" of anything. But there are plenty of options for that kind of ink at higher price points. And I think there's a place for basic unsurprising inks at the $5 per bottle price point if the ink doesn't cause problems. And so far so good in the pens I've used it in. The way the price bounces around over time and depending on where you find it online is kind of weird, but I guess that's one way to market a product.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The smokin' deal is back on eBay, I just ordered another two since I gave my last bottle away to a pen-neophyte.
It's up from $2.99 to $3.35 for two but I ain't griping.

The blue is truly a wonderful ink, I've used it practically daily for over a year (two full bottles) and put it up there with Montblanc, Waterman, and Pelikan 4001.

The smokin' deal is back on eBay, I just ordered another two since I gave my last bottle away to a pen-neophyte.
It's up from $2.99 to $3.35 for two but I ain't griping.

The blue is truly a wonderful ink, I've used it practically daily for over a year (two full bottles) and put it up there with Montblanc, Waterman, and Pelikan 4001.
You sold me a while ago but I'll jump on this time.

I just ordered a box of Thorntons standard short cartridges to try out. When it comes in, I am going to PIF some of the blue and black.

Top Bottom