What's new

'This Smells like That'

Interesting stuff. I actually do not think I am very good at this task. I suppose part of it is a matter of exactness and there is one heck of a lot of nuance in good scents to distinguish them.

One that springs immediately to mind is:

Clubman=Canoe=Pen's Racquets (arguably, on some level, etc.; Racquets is on an entirely different level as a scent from the other two!)

Pen's English Fern=vintage Hobigant Fougere Royale (pretty close to my nose)

I'm going to have to try Canoe, maybe the Pen's too. I've been using Clubman a lot again lately and was curious what might smell similar.

I'm going to have to try Canoe, maybe the Pen's too. I've been using Clubman a lot again lately and was curious what might smell similar.

If you're looking for a cologne version of Clubman, you're in luck. Canoe and clubman pretty much smell exactly the same.

Just saw a review of this so not sure if it is true, but the reviewer states that -->

Blue Sugar by Aquolina = Bond 9 New Harlem

Tom ford grey vetiver smells similar to clubman special reserve

Really ??? I've only spray sampled GV at the counter. It was a very light vetiver to my nose. It didn't smell anything like SR to me?

I guess everyone's nose is different. I once did a scratch and sniff test with my wife. We agreed on most of the items but on one particular item I smelled something kinda sweet and she smelled ammonia-urine/ Weird.

Really ??? I've only spray sampled GV at the counter. It was a very light vetiver to my nose. It didn't smell anything like SR to me?

I guess everyone's nose is different. I once did a scratch and sniff test with my wife. We agreed on most of the items but on one particular item I smelled something kinda sweet and she smelled ammonia-urine/ Weird.

Sounds like Kouros...

Any honorable mentions such as under 10 dollars and smells great but not necessarily a copy of something else.

Norweigen Wood - $7.00
I'd just like to thank you for that. I've noticed it at TJ Maxx and Ross all the time, but never gave it a second thought until this thread. It's definitely worth the $7.

I'd just like to thank you for that. I've noticed it at TJ Maxx and Ross all the time, but never gave it a second thought until this thread. It's definitely worth the $7.

Yeah... right? I tried this stuff and immediately thought of L'Occitane's Vetiver, though it is different it has the same feel to it.

Yeah... right? I tried this stuff and immediately thought of L'Occitane's Vetiver, though it is different it has the same feel to it.

I don't like Norwegian Wood at all. I do enjoy L'Occitane vetiver though it seems a little heavy and cloying for the summer heat.

Mont Blanc Individuel indistinguishable from Creed Original Santal

Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet very similar at dry down to Lalique White.

Last edited:
I have a good one for you guys. I was at Brooks Brothers recently and sprayed some NY Gentleman cologne on my wrist. Smells pretty good, quite peppery at the top but it dries down to something clean and smooth, with a good office vibe. I started to like it but there was also something very familiar ... and somewhat synthetic and just plain cheap ... in the leftover peppery notes. It kept bothering me, and I couldn't quite figure out why. Then it hit me ... it smelled almost exactly like the McGraw Silver cologne (yes, as in Tim McGraw) that my mother in law got me for Christmas!

So now I can't figure out if I have a new-found respect for the McGraw Silver, or if I think NY Gentleman is just a cheap poser!

Saint Charles Shave New Spice smells like A*Men.
Nikos Sculpture opens very similar to TOBS Jermyn A/S. However Sculpture evolves and Jermyn stays pretty linear.
Cereus 5 and Black Touch by Franck Olivier smell real close to TDH edp. Very affordable alternatives.

Top Bottom