What's new

'This Smells like That'

I went back about 6 pages. Couldn't find a Post listing substitutions for Colognes/EDT'S all in one place. Thought it a good idea... though probably here somewhere.
I compiled a small list of smell - alikes, but please add to it if you have something good.

1. Ted Lapidus Black Soul = 1 Million
  2. Cuba Gold = JPG Le Male
  3. Cool Water/Aspen = G.I.T
  4. Joop = Original Santal
  5. TMC = Original Vetiver
  6. Rochas Man = New Haarlem
  7. Paco XS = Himalaya
  8. Al Rehab Silver = Silver Mountain Water
  9. Pino Silvestre = Granville
  10. Lamborghini Mitico = Le Male
  11. Sean John Unforgivable = Creed MI
  12. MJ Legend = New Haarlem
  13. Mont Blanc Individuel = Original Santal
  14. Love & Luck = MI
  15. The Secret = 1 Million
  16. Extreme Oud = Pure Oud
  17. Mugler Cologne = Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
  18. Musc ravageur = Meharees L'Erbolario

Walmart Knock offs that smell almost as good as original:

Vault = Armani Code
Geau = Aqua Di Gio

Any honorable mentions such as under 10 dollars and smells great but not necessarily a copy of something else.

Gres Cabaret EDP - $25.00
Norweigen Wood - $7.00

Last edited:
Cool Water = Aspen = G.I.T. = Green Valley = Greenbriar = Chez Bond = Freshman
Rochas Man = New Haarlem = J'ose Eisenberg
M
ugler Cologne = Tom Ford Neroli Portofino = Nenuco

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. I actually do not think I am very good at this task. I suppose part of it is a matter of exactness and there is one heck of a lot of nuance in good scents to distinguish them.

One that springs immediately to mind is:

Clubman=Canoe=Pen's Racquets (arguably, on some level, etc.; Racquets is on an entirely different level as a scent from the other two!)

Pen's English Fern=vintage Hobigant Fougere Royale (pretty close to my nose)

Most things on the department store shelf = most every other thing on that department store shelf

Sadly, this is pretty much how it works for me. I have no skills whatsoever when it comes to differentiating or describing scents. :sad:

Yardley Citrus and Wood scratches the same itch for me as Terre d'Hermes. The citrus note in TdH leans more toward grapefruit, and its cedar smells more like red cedar to me, but they are quite similar.

Yardley Citrus and Wood scratches the same itch for me as Terre d'Hermes. The citrus note in TdH leans more toward grapefruit, and its cedar smells more like red cedar to me, but they are quite similar.

Really? To me the Yardley C&W leaned more grapefruity and TDH more orange.

Really? To me the Yardley C&W leaned more grapefruity and TDH more orange.
TdH seems deeper- I can see darker orange and grapefruit, while the yardley seems lighter, "yellower" to me, if that makes sense. More of a generic "citrus" to my nose than the Hermes. Maybe the TdH seems juicier while the Yardley seems a bit more rind-ier.

I was in CVS with my wife the other day and I checked out their clone frags. The fake Drakkar Noir smelled very close to the original.

Last summer, I was on a trip and forgot to pack any frags. Also forgot my shaving stick. I stopped in a drugstore to see if I could pick up a puck of Williams to tide me over, and I bought a travel bottle of Ed Hardy's "Love and Luck" just for the heck of it. It's in the same ballpark as MI, but not all that close to my nose. Even so, I kind of like it.

Wow... really? would anyone else agree?
I have seen the comparison made before, but I don't get it at all. I'm speaking of just plain Vision though. There are several versions of Vision, and I think I remember reading once that Vision III was the closest? I can't recall for sure.

The cheapie that I have seen compared to Aventus most often is Ilum Dean Fresco.

Wow... really? would anyone else agree?

For another scent for those who enjoy the pineappley aspect of Aventus, Ilum Dean's Fresco might be one to try. No smoke, nor no buried vanilla, but I add (cheap on cheap!) just a touch of Raw Vanilla for a little depth without much added sweetness.

Not much longevity on my skin, but I have a buddy on whom Fresco lasts hours.

Edit: I see that jpipes3 beat me to it. Cheers!

If any of you know of a good clone for Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch my wallet would be grateful :laugh:
Mont Blanc Legend gets compared to it, and has started showing up in Marshalls and TJ Maxx lately. Fierce isn't super expensive to begin with, but that's at least worth checking out.

Top Bottom