What's new

This is why I change my own oil...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I do regular 3000 mile oil changes, 50,000 trans fluid and filter changes, and 5 year antifreeze changes. My old 94 Chev k1500 now has 340,000 on the clock and is still running fine. It is all about keeping up with the basics.
Does it have the 350 motor? I had a friend whose had over 300,000 on it until he retired and bought a newer one. But he kept the old one for hauling wood, etc! It out lasted him.

I do regular 3000 mile oil changes, 50,000 trans fluid and filter changes, and 5 year antifreeze changes. My old 94 Chev k1500 now has 340,000 on the clock and is still running fine. It is all about keeping up with the basics.
Agreed. It’s amazing how long vehicles can last if basic maintenance is kept up with.

Does it have the 350 motor? I had a friend whose had over 300,000 on it until he retired and bought a newer one. But he kept the old one for hauling wood, etc! It out lasted him.
Yeppers. Just an old school 350 TBI. Not the same as in my highschool camaro (sitting in the garage waiting for drive in night even as we speak). I miss the days of carburetors and no computers....

Last Thursday I decided it was time to change the oil in my Yukon. This would be the first oil change since I bought it 3 months ago. So I drain the oil from the oil pan and replace the drain plug. Easy enough. Next I locate the oil filter, grab my oil filter pliers and attempt to remove it. Nothing. So I keep wrenching on it and this thing won't budge. I decide to grab my strap wrench and give that a shot. Won't move it a millimeter. Now I'm a pretty strong guy, 6'2" and 200lbs, and I'm wrenching on this thing with all of my strength and it will not move. I grab a screwdriver, drive it through both sides of the filter body and use the screwdriver as a breaker bar hoping to turn it. Nope. But it tears the hell out of the oil filter body to the point of falling off in a mangled mess. Now I've been wrestling with this damn thing for 4 hours, invented curse words that would peel paint off the wall, and I haven't moved this filter one millimeter. All that remains is the threaded piece that screws onto the oil adapter assembly and the filter cap with the holes on it. I grab a cold chisel, insert a corner of it into one of the holes and give it a heavy blow with the mini sledge. It doesn't move at all, so I keep beating the hell out of this thing to no avail. It's been 5 hours trying to take this filter off and I'm over it so I give up. I get online and do some research to hopefully find some answers, but I've tried everything that comes up. Then I find this tool:
View attachment 998047
The black bolts you see in the picture fit into the holes of the filter cap. Then you put a ratchet on it and break the threaded piece free (hopefully.)
View attachment 998048
View attachment 998049 View attachment 998051
View attachment 998052
The pictures above are after I used this tool to break the filter free. It was on so tight there was absolutely no way it would have come off with anything else. You can see how mangled the filter was when I finally got it off. This is why I change my own oil. When replacing the filter, the rubber gasket should be rubbed with a film of the new oil before installing. This keeps the gasket from essentially becoming super glue and gluing the filter onto the oil pan. Secondly, the oil filter should only be hand tight. After the gasket makes contact with the bottom of the pan, 3/4 turn additionally is all that is needed. Engine suction will not allow the filter to come off if it is snug. Do not use a strap wrench to tighten the hell out of it! I know it was one of the quick oil change places that did this because the previous owner always went to the same place to have the oil changed. So what was supposed to be a 10 minute oil change cost me 5 days due to the holiday weekend and shipping, as well as $60 for the tool and shipping. The tool worked very well and definitely saved me a tow to a garage and a big bill to get the filter off. Here are the tool details:
View attachment 998056
I am in no way affiliated with this company, but the tool saved my *** so I thought I'd share. Guys, if you have the ability, change your own oil and do it right! It will save you a lot of grief!

3 months?

18 months is fine for most modern cars with VSI.

Its not 1965 anymore :)

18 months? That’s a long stretch between oil changes. Curious.... what vehicle is that?

Btw, the following is an excerpt from the GMC website.

“Depending on the vehicle and the conditions experienced, the oil in a GMC may not need to be changed for up to 7,500 miles or a year.”

18 months? That’s a long stretch between oil changes. Curious.... what vehicle is that?

Btw, the following is an excerpt from the GMC website.

“Depending on the vehicle and the conditions experienced, the oil in a GMC may not need to be changed for up to 7,500 miles or a year.”
My Yukon is a 2007 with 95,000 miles.

My Yukon is a 2007 with 95,000 miles.

Barely run in lol.

Did you do a 3000 mile oil change or was this just a precaution from purchase?

I am always befuddled why US motorists change oil so frequently. Euro cars are 12k std with VSI pushing that to 30k. I have never heard of a modern engine wearing out. Its normally the rest of the car that dies first

Barely run in lol.

I am always befuddled why US motorists change oil so frequently. Euro cars are 12k std with VSI pushing that to 30k. I have never heard of a modern engine wearing out. Its normally the rest of the car that dies first
I follow the manufacturer’s recommendation. That’s an unfair representation of US motorists.

I've found that a 3 foot piece of pipe over the handle of the strap wrench usually does the job.

Ya just gotta admire Archimedes.

Work the filter first. That way you still have oil in case you give up. You can take it in for an oil change :001_cool:

I've found that a 3 foot piece of pipe over the handle of the strap wrench usually does the job.

Ya just gotta admire Archimedes.

Work the filter first. That way you still have oil in case you give up. You can take it in for an oil change :001_cool:
There is no room for a breaker bar down there unfortunately. I would have used one if there was

Barely run in lol.

I always change it between 3-4,000 miles, no matter what vehicle I’ve owned. With synthetic oil I would change it at 5,000 miles. My experience is the opposite of yours. People generally don’t change their oil frequently enough, leading to premature engine wear and sludge buildup. If the service intervals are in question, follow @Jim99 ‘s advice and do as the manufacturer recommends. Hard to go wrong that way. But 12,000 mile intervals are way too long, imo.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I drive an ole beater truck. 1997 Ford Ranger 2.3 manual trans. Odometer is stuck at 173,000. So IDk how many miles it actually has on it. I change the oil every 3-4 thousand miles with the cheap O’Rileys and basic oil filter. It’s black as tar every time.

I drive an ole beater truck. 1997 Ford Ranger 2.3 manual trans. Odometer is stuck at 173,000. So IDk how many miles it actually has on it. I change the oil every 3-4 thousand miles with the cheap O’Rileys and basic oil filter. It’s black as tar every time.
Those old Rangers with the manual transmissions last damn near forever!

I always change it between 3-4,000 miles, no matter what vehicle I’ve owned. With synthetic oil I would change it at 5,000 miles. My experience is the opposite of yours. People generally don’t change their oil frequently enough, leading to premature engine wear and sludge buildup. If the service intervals are in question, follow @Jim99 ‘s advice and do as the manufacturer recommends. Hard to go wrong that way. But 12,000 mile intervals are way too long, imo.
My last car got an oil change every 12 months regardless, this would be about 15k per annum driving. Semi-synth chip oil is all that went into it and after 200k, the engine was as clean as the day i got it. (The clutch, timing belt, brake calipers,windscreen and tyres needed for its mot killed the car).

Black oil isn't bad. Oil filters are waaay better than years ago. Better to buy a premium filter once a year than change the oil 4 times.

3k oil changes are terrible for the environment. Its an unnecessary waste.

My opinion obv. And with due respect to yours.

Polluting the Environment by Fraud of 3000 mile Oil Changes

I follow the manufacturer’s recommendation. That’s an unfair representation of US motorists.

It wasn't meant to be a blanket statement obviously, any more than yours is.

As people become more isolated from the technology they use, so will the old-timer habits of self maintanance die out.

Plus electric cars don't use engine oil.....

Top Bottom