What's new

This is why I change my own oil...

Jiffy Lube has had a long and storied history of fraud scandals.
Their favourite scam was charging for work that was never performed, but they also weren't beneath offering unnecessary or redundant services to customers they thought gullible enough to be fooled into accepting.
Curiously, they originally recommended and instituted a 3000 mile oil change programme for all of their customers.

I remember servicing my own truck (previously mentioned) about 5 years ago. Complete service and fluid changes before leaving on a trip. This included front and rear differential as well as a complete transmission fluid and filter change. About a week into the trip I stopped in to get the oil changed as it was the ONLY fluid I hadn't changed since it only had 1500miles on the current oil. After putting on about 1600 more I felt it was time. The lube shop I stopped in while I was on the road brought the dumb little white card with a "sample" of the worn out differential oil and the "badly burnt" transmission fluid. The real giveaway was the bright orange dex cool antifreeze. The only thing they said was fine. The whole thing was a huge scam....I think they keep these cards in the "pit" to scam customers. I knew the entire thing to be a load of horse droppings. Especially since my truck does NOT use dex cool. Its the good ol green stuff. Yep, unless you need the paperwork for warranty reasons, change your own oil if you can! On a side note...it was quite nice of them to wipe off the grease fittings...even if they didnt put anything in the joints until I pointed out that I could see them under the truck and that they never got near it with the grease gun.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It's a shame that these rouge operators tarnish the industries reputation.

After watching a consumer advocacy programme here some years ago, I find it hard to trust them.
On one show they done car services, marked the items like oil filter, spark plus etc to see if they got changed. Needless to say there were a few that just said they replaced stuff when they had not.

Even worse was a WOF, our car inspection system. They set the car up with some very obvious faults like tying a knot in the back seat beat to join a break then hid the join. All they need to do was give the seat belt a gentle tug and it would be impossible to miss.
One said they brake tested the car on a test drive.....you get the idea, nope the car never left the workshop.

When I purchased my wife's last car the dealer said it was getting a service. I checked the oil level as well as other stuff under the bonnet (hood to you guys :) ) a few day after getting the car. Hey the oil is half way between low and high and the oil looks old.
I took the car back to the dealer who returned the car to get it done again. Now I don't think he would ever check the service he is getting done prior selling. Maybe he does now.

If you are using a machinic you have like and trust, go there no matter what. If you car needs a tow, get it towed there not the closest place.

Too much scamming in the oil change business.... oil change scams jiffy lube - YouTube

Yep. And you have the sponsorship of this scamming by places like Jiffy lube (i was trying to remember the name of the lube specific shops in my last post). These places also continue to peddle the seriously outdated myths of low mileage oil changes. As for doing this stuff yourself, the reason for the funky oil change tool is so that you don't. I am of the ever increasing opinion that this is a good thing. People just don't have the tooling and tech for modern vehicle maintainance and they especially don't have the facilities for proper recycling and waste disposal. The best place for this work is at the Garage/mechanics. (This coming from somebody who has worked on cars all his life).

The quicker Electric cars become the norm, the better.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
People just don't have the tooling and tech for modern vehicle maintainance and they especially don't have the facilities for proper recycling and waste disposal. The best place for this work is at the Garage/mechanics. (This coming from somebody who has worked on cars all his life).

I'm not sure draining oil and changing the oil filter is any more complicated on a new car than a older one and the tools are easy to come by if you don't already have them.
Here there are places to take your used oil to for disposal

Nope can't agree on the best place being a garage/mechanics.

Yep. And you have the sponsorship of this scamming by places like Jiffy lube (i was trying to remember the name of the lube specific shops in my last post). These places also continue to peddle the seriously outdated myths of low mileage oil changes. As for doing this stuff yourself, the reason for the funky oil change tool is so that you don't. I am of the ever increasing opinion that this is a good thing. People just don't have the tooling and tech for modern vehicle maintainance and they especially don't have the facilities for proper recycling and waste disposal. The best place for this work is at the Garage/mechanics. (This coming from somebody who has worked on cars all his life).

The quicker Electric cars become the norm, the better.
I dont know of any parts places that do not accept used motor oil. The same goes for used batteries. If one can get to the item that needs to be replaced then one can do the repair themselves. My daily driver for work is a Dodge Avenger. If one can work on any of my old Chevys, then one can work on these types of cars as well...as far as general maintaenance goes, IE belts, hoses, plugs, wires, antifreeze etc etc. Electronic problems though...yep..take it in.

In an ideal world, the best place to change oil would be at a mechanic's shop, safely purpose-fitted for the task, staffed by trained, certified and honest mechanics, and insured for liability. A shop that follows all laws and environmental regulations, does the job correctly, according to established industry protocols, bills correctly, fairly and honestly, and does not solicit unnecessary work or otherwise defraud the customer.

If you know of one...please let me know!

On the other hand, men (and some women) have been changing their own oil for generations and passing that knowledge on to their offspring, so they might be self-sufficient in that regard. I am a recipient of that tradition, learning from my father and never purchasing an oil-change service (except when travelling), in addition to learning and performing many other routine motor-car services.
Still, it's not for everyone. I've heard horror stories of the unqualified or improperly trained, trying to change their own oil. The rookie mistakes run the gamut from laughable to tragic. The worse case scenario being the car falls and kills the "back-yard" mechanic.

So, if you don't know how to do it properly and safely, don't do it at all.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
In an ideal world, the best place to change oil would be at a mechanic's shop, safely purpose-fitted for the task, staffed by trained, certified and honest mechanics, and insured for liability. A shop that follows all laws and environmental regulations, does the job correctly, according to established industry protocols, bills correctly, fairly and honestly, and does not solicit unnecessary work or otherwise defraud the customer.

If you know of one...please let me know!

On the other hand, men (and some women) have been changing their own oil for generations and passing that knowledge on to their offspring, so they might be self-sufficient in that regard. I am a recipient of that tradition, learning from my father and never purchasing an oil-change service (except when travelling), in addition to learning and performing many other routine motor-car services.
Still, it's not for everyone. I've heard horror stories of the unqualified or improperly trained, trying to change their own oil. The rookie mistakes run the gamut from laughable to tragic. The worse case scenario being the car falls and kills the "back-yard" mechanic.

So, if you don't know how to do it properly and safely, don't do it at all.
Lol
The repair shop you speak of resides in fantasy land.

All my days at jiffy lube they never had a card to show bad fluid. I remember their waiting room nd the technician coming in to get me with a serious look and me thinking ok here we go...

Let’s move past the environmental US vs Euro thing. This is a simple thread about an oil filter screwed on too tight. Not a 1,000,000 mile oil change challenge to save the environment because big oil has convinced us every 10 miles you need an oil change.

Give it a rest. With all due respect of course.
I enjoyed that discussion. I think both persons were being respectful. The progression of oil change intervals over the history of engine development is interesting and worth talking about IMO.

I remember my first couple of used vehicles had small engines and used 10W-40 conventional oil. It was common practice by those who were trying to prolong their vehicle life to change the oil every 3 months or 3K miles (which ever came first). Even as manufacturers were recommending 5000 or 7500 or longer intervals. As engines tolerances improved and more synthetics and lighter weight oils were introduced the recommended the change interval increased further. I slowly increased the interval at which I changed the oil as I started to move towards full synthetics. There must be some balance between maximizing engine life (minimizing wear) and changing the oil too frequently. I do not know where that line is at, but I try to change more frequently than recommended but not excessively. The bigger issue today might be that there are too many choices at retail to confuse the consumer. Within a single brand and weight their may be partially synthetic, full synthetic, high mileage (only 75k is high really??), truck specific formulations, etc.

For an example of what not to do, while screwing the oil filter back in during one oil change I did not notice that the rubber gasket had fallen out. It was a blind reach to position and tighten the oil filter and I was using one of those orange Fram filters where the gasket is easy to remove. After changing the oil and backing out of the driveway I noticed a wide streak of oil. I quickly drove back and found that the gasket was laying on the heat shield or some other component below the filter. :117:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
There must be some balance between maximizing engine life (minimizing wear) and changing the oil too frequently. I do not know where that line is at, but I try to change more frequently than recommended but not excessively. The bigger issue today might be that there are too many choices at retail to confuse the consumer. Within a single brand and weight their may be partially synthetic, full synthetic, high mileage (only 75k is high really??), truck specific formulations, etc.

The only accurate way to know when your oil needs to be changed is to send a sample in for analysis, like at Blackstone Laboratories | Oil Analysis - Learn What's Going On In Your Engine Anything else is just guessing.

My understanding is that much of the lengthening of service intervals for fluids/consumables in automobiles has to do with regulations aimed at reducing their environmental impact.

As far as choices of oil, yeah there is a lot! But every car has an owners manual and spec for their fluids including engine oil. Crack open the manual (or interwebs), find out what your auto requires, and use any oil that meets that spec.

Last edited:
Top Bottom