What's new

Thinking of Premier Strop Company 3"

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm still looking for a 3" strop that I would eventually get but I'm not ready. Still looking.

I saw this strop(Premier Strop Company 3" Black Latigo Razor Strop and Webbed Fabric):
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=PS3IBK

and thought it might be good. However, I would like to know if someone has any experience with it. I still want to have my technique right before I move from my starter strop to the other strop.

What am I looking for if I'm not getting this one? 3" (I don't like the X pattern) and it needs to be leather and fabric/cotton/canvas/etc.

I'd actually go for Tony Miller strop. I saw a pretty honest review of the SRD strops and I think TM's come out ahead. Plus, Tony is wonderful to deal with. I have the 3" Red Latigo w/ Linen. It's fantastic, broke in very nicely after a few weeks of regular use. Great draw. And nothing beats Tony's craftmanship. I wonder if the SRD strops were kind of copied from Tony's, actually. At least, they've always looked a bit too suspiciously similar... Having said that, I haven't tried one myself.

s.

I'd actually go for Tony Miller strop. I saw a pretty honest review of the SRD strops and I think TM's come out ahead. Plus, Tony is wonderful to deal with. I have the 3" Red Latigo w/ Linen. It's fantastic, broke in very nicely after a few weeks of regular use. Great draw. And nothing beats Tony's craftmanship. I wonder if the SRD strops were kind of copied from Tony's, actually. At least, they've always looked a bit too suspiciously similar... Having said that, I haven't tried one myself.

s.

I wouldn't trade my TM for anything. There are several strops out that look like copies.

I wouldn't trade my TM for anything. There are several strops out that look like copies.

I can think of at least 5-6 other strops I'd trade mine for in a heartbeat.
But I've used about 50 strops so far, so my perspective may be slightly different from yours.

Tony's strops are great, of course, but there is no magic to them, just good old craftsmanship from one of the best in business.

Let's keep it in perspective and not start another silliness.

I know some of you have an agenda, and it would be really nice if you start being concerned with helping fellow members first and before all else.

I know only one other brand I'd trade my Tony for. But its a whole different price range, well beyond the means and needs of any straight razor user.

In TM's price range, I can think of no substitute. Except the Paladin, which is in a slightly lower price bracket and I'm not 100% sure on that as I have not tried one in person, only going off of hearsay.

I only just started, but have picked up an SRD 3", Tony Miller Paddle, Illinois 992, Dubl Duck and small Col Conk. I really like the SRD the most so far, but realize I'm probably not enough of a master to judge fully.

The only other strop I'd really like to get now is one of the ones Ambrose is putting together.

is it me or the stamp on the photo says 'straight razor designs'
i'll attach it below

Yeup... that's clearly stamped "Straight Razor Designs"

I've never used one, but I've been told they are great... However, if I'm buying an SRD strop, I'm getting it from SRD. They are one of my favorite vendors :wink2:

It's a tough call, Luc. You are probably more aware than the rest of us about shipping stuff to you down under, so that plays a part in what the vendor will charge and what the total price will end up being, if total price is a consideration.
But for the price of the stop you posted, I would say definitely consider TM latigo and cotton 3" strop. The leather component by all accounts is about the same between it and the SRD models, but the basic TM cotton trumps the fabric found on the basic SRD model, I feel. If the SRD's are on sale though, then that adds to the decision.
I understand the Paladin from KenRup is a good strop, but keep in mind his canvas will only be 2" no matter what width leather you order (this is from him directly); I mention that since you mention disliking the x pattern.

my dos centavos.

EDIT. I have also heard good things about the Hand American strops, if you have the patience to visit the site regularly and find when they are in stock :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom