What's new

Thinking of buying a Schone... are the ones on Amazon real?

Been a while... 6 years or so... got back into shaving with the DEs last few months... I am shaving every other day now, just because, and I am really busy in the morning usually so I don't have on weekdays the 25 minutes to get BBS with my Dad's old 1958 Gillette Toggle Adjustable... I got into open comb with a early 1930s Gillette New with the ball on the bottom... looking for a somewhat more aggressive OC; not sure I am ready for the R41... saw reviews on the Schone and was all ready to buy one... then I saw it was discontinued... but seemingly Amazon has them... with Piccolo handles? Are the heads legit?? Any where else to get them? Any other recommendations on OCs under $55? I have a 1904 on order...

Regards and Thanks, Mike
(Razors owned: '58 Toggle, '62ish Slim Adjustable, 23C, DE89, Merkur Progress, Gillette New Long Comb)

I have bought 5 of them gold and nickel all are great...gave my bro 2 (his fav razor).
All came with a fat handle!
Even if they now come with a piccolo handle.....still a great price....btw they were absent for a year and now apparently with piccolo but 2-3$ Cheaper......get it unless you hate small handles.

I have bought 5 of them gold and nickel all are great...gave my bro 2 (his fav razor).
All came with a fat handle!
Even if they now come with a piccolo handle.....still a great price....btw they were absent for a year and now apparently with piccolo but 2-3$ Cheaper......get it unless you hate small handles.

Thank you!

Schone and Fatip are nearly the same heads. I think the number and with of the teeth are subtly different, but the head geometry is the same. One thing to note is that some of them have alignment issues. Not all of them, but quite a few. Supposedly, the Schone and the newer version of the Fatip are better, but the Schone I bought a couple of years ago still has the problem.

If it fits the handle then it's legit. The handle threads are an unusual size and don't fit the average head. I wanted a schone when they mysteriously went out of production and no stock was available. I did manage to find one with the Grande handle but with 'Boker' etched on the top cap. It is 100% a fatip made Schone though, same machine marks as my piccolo, same thread, same handle range, same design concept and same high end shave. Yes the blades need to be manually adjusted to be straight but it takes less than 30 seconds and isn't an issue, especially at the price.

If I were you I'd buy it, if for some reason it isn't legit then you'll be covered by Amazon's buyer protection. Same with eBay, if the seller has lied or missold something you'll get your money back and probably get to keep the item. If you really don't trust the seller then just buy a fatip piccolo as they are still being made.

Top Bottom