What's new

Thinking of buying a gravel bike; need some opinions please.

Gravel bike, adventure bike, all-road bike, there are many names for this growing segment. They're not quite a proper cyclocross bike, but maybe a cross between an endurance road bike and a cyclocross bike. One can put thinner road style wheels and tires or up to 42c wide knobby tires for better off road handling. The geometry is designed to work well on paved and dirt surfaces and be comfortable for long distances. I didn't really know about these until recently.

I've been riding a Trek 7.3FX (flat bar "fitness" bike) for the last 12 years. When it's warm enough (mid-April to mid-October) I ride about 400-500 miles per month; I don't ride the rest of the year. I ride on pavement and bike paths only. I've been wanting an endurance road bike for a few years now so that I can go faster and be comfortable for longer distances. I'm kind of big though at 6'-3", 225 lbs. so maybe a bit heavy for 25c tires.

My Trek has 35c tires with a little tread but it's not super stable going off pavement with. It's always been nice if I absolutely have to go through grass or down a hard packed dirt road but I wouldn't want to do it for more than a few miles. Sometimes when out in the country I've had to bypass areas I wanted to explore due to dirt or too loose of gravel roads.

When I found out about the "gravel bikes" it seemed like the perfect match! I could get one with some 33c tires with a smooth center bead and some knobs on outer edges and ride a lot of pavement and some dirt roads. The bike will be newer, lighter, faster and have better geometry suited to both styles and better braking and components. If I like, the frame and fork will support thinner and wider tires/wheels if and when I decide to change. I'd probably still be doing 90% of my riding on pavement but the roads in Michigan are so terrible that this bike might be better for that anyway.

At first I was thinking if I do get a bike, go big! I was considering $4K+ full carbon bikes from Foundry, Jamis, Pivot, and Salsa. My wife wasn't crazy about that and I realized that for my needs it's overkill. I've reduced my expectations and have narrowed down a couple bikes in the sub-$2K range that still have good components, are a huge upgrade to my Trek, and should suit what I want to do just fine. I'll probably use this bike for over 10 years as well.

I don't know a ton about bikes; I just get on mine and ride for a few hours, trying to go fast and get a workout while enjoying time to think and see the world. I'd like someone with experience and knowledge to see if I'm on the right track and the pros and cons of a couple bikes I could possibly buy.

Fuji Jari 1.3
Norco Search A 105 Hydro

I think they're pretty close component wise. Looks like the gearing, brakes, and tires are different. Anyone able to explain some of the differences in the bikes and offer any opinions please?

I just didn't want to register at another board.
Do you think that's one of the better forums overall?
I'll check out their cyclocross/gravel bike area. Thanks!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have a Felt VR5 it comes with 700x28 but there is plenty of room to go wider. Carbon Fiber frame, Shimano 105 group set, disc brakes, Gossamer compact crank. It is around 2500 but it’s a lot of bike at that price point. It is marketed as an endurance/gravel bike. I don’t ride on gravel much but it handles nicely when I do.

I just didn't want to register at another board.
Do you think that's one of the better forums overall?
I'll check out their cyclocross/gravel bike area. Thanks!

I would consider it to be the best bike forum, certainly the largest, similar to what B&B is to wet shaving. It is the only bike forum I decided to join. Most of the people in the forum are friendly have a passion for the hobby as they do here.

I think if you are going to lay out some serious cash for a bike and aren't an expert, it would be a good source of information. Lurk for a while and then make your decision to join or not.

Good luck!

It's kind of a pita to register there. First the entire domain for my email address is banned, then after making a whole new email account I registered but my posts were required to be approved by a mod. 3 days all in before being able to even participate in a discussion. There is a lot of good info there though.

It's kind of a pita to register there. First the entire domain for my email address is banned, then after making a whole new email account I registered but my posts were required to be approved by a mod. 3 days all in before being able to even participate in a discussion. There is a lot of good info there though.

Wow, not very member friendly! I see your point.

I have a Felt VR5 it comes with 700x28 but there is plenty of room to go wider. Carbon Fiber frame, Shimano 105 group set, disc brakes, Gossamer compact crank. It is around 2500 but it’s a lot of bike at that price point. It is marketed as an endurance/gravel bike. I don’t ride on gravel much but it handles nicely when I do.
Similar to my Specialized Roubaix Elite. I haven't taken it off road, but it is very comfortable on some sticky asphalt. Looking forward to watching Paris-Roubaix this weekend to see the pros in some challenging conditions!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Similar to my Specialized Roubaix Elite. I haven't taken it off road, but it is very comfortable on some sticky asphalt. Looking forward to watching Paris-Roubaix this weekend to see the pros in some challenging conditions!

I forgot about your Specialized. That is a great choice as well. I think we got our new bikes about the same time.

I pared down my expectations and decided to spend less if I buy a new one. That way I can see if I'm going to enjoy a drop bar bike without spending too much. I'm going to try to keep it around $1K.

This also probably puts me in a steel bike which I'm not crazy about but might be willing to try. On paper my short list is a Fuji Jari 2.1 or a Jamis Renegade Expat. There are many shops in my area and these can be ridden in person easily.

Top Bottom