What's new

Thinking about trying a real straight.

For my first ad only straight I went for a Koraat 7/8 full bellied hollow
for tough beards....it is somewhat reinforced.

Ulrik is a very talented bloke and he fields even the dumbest questions with grace and humility.
He has a wait time of about 8-10 weeks though. And his prices are pretty reasonable, given
what some other big name custom jobs cost.

I have been practising on a shavette for a couple of weeks now and getting some darn near
perfect shaves....the only stroke that is out of my skillset is the XTG across the neck. I dont see
myself trying that ever.

Now that I have all my strops, hones and other stuff set up, I'll be using this razor real soon.

The only other straight that tickles my fancy now is a semi custom Brian Brown.
Very nice! I’ll be interested to hear how your first shave goes with the koraat! Any pictures of it?

D04134ED-4687-4047-AE19-4E1C74235AA5.jpeg
B1CADB60-BB66-4A86-965C-3496D0179391.jpeg
EAC4BAD1-2757-457D-8774-D225DF37F7E7.jpeg
10BE71FB-5EE7-4213-B31D-BDB451AB7770.jpeg
6C16D0B8-6DBD-4D0D-976E-FB3280D21CF8.jpeg

I have a few Ralf Aust razors. Three Koraats as well. They are all superb examples of the modern straight razor. Aust is a significantly better "buy" but a blade made by either Herr Aust or Ulrik Beyer (Koraat) is a winner.
Also, it is just as easy to order direct from Ralf Aust. Quick trip to his website is all it takes.

View attachment 1044194View attachment 1044196View attachment 1044198View attachment 1044199View attachment 1044200
I have a few Ralf Aust razors. Three Koraats as well. They are all superb examples of the modern straight razor. Aust is a significantly better "buy" but a blade made by either Herr Aust or Ulrik Beyer (Koraat) is a winner.
Also, it is just as easy to order direct from Ralf Aust. Quick trip to his website is all it takes.
View attachment 1044194View attachment 1044196View attachment 1044198View attachment 1044199View attachment 1044200
I couldn’t find a direct website for Ralf Aust. I saw someone else say they also bought direct from him. That’s quite a nice collection you have!

Speaking of Ulrich and Aust. You should look up vids on how they hone their razors. You’d be surprised. Koraat uses a worn diamond plate to make a bevel and then goes straight to a 10k Naniwa. Aust goes from a 1500 platen to his finisher. They both finish on leather. Both are considered to put very fine shaving edges on their razors. I always found it in stark contrast to many of the methods people lock into on the internet. I assume when you hone 1000’s of razors your technique gets refined and you minimize the time needed just for efficiency sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of Ulrich and Aust. You should look up vids on how they hone their razors. You’d be surprised. Koraat uses a worn diamond plate to make a bevel and then goes straight to a 10k Naniwa. Aust goes from a 1500 platen to his finisher. They both finish on leather. Both are considered to put very fine shaving edges on their razors. I always found it in stark contrast to many of the methods people lock into on the internet. I assume when you hone 1000’s of razors your technique gets refined and you minimize the time needed just for efficiency sake.

Interesting! So the koraat gets a 10k finish? Then to bare leather strop? I woulda thought at least 12k on the final finish.

Speaking of Ulrich and Aust. You should look up vids on how they hone their razors. You’d be surprised. Koraat uses a worn diamond plate to make a bevel and then goes straight to a 10k Naniwa.

I believe he does bevel....3K...10K....denim crox...most times.

I’m not an expert. But I use a Ralph Aust among others. You would be hard pressed to destroy a razor, if you paid any attention at all to what you are doing.

First time stropping could be enough to have an expensive blade flying through the room.
My advice would be to get a Gold Dollar and two stones.4000 and 8000.
That's enough to learn to hone and to start shaving.
You can't get around honing.

First time stropping could be enough to have an expensive blade flying through the room.
My advice would be to get a Gold Dollar and two stones.4000 and 8000.
That's enough to learn to hone and to start shaving.
You can't get around honing.

I guess I’m not that clutsy. I could dull a blade, but if I were that uncoordinated, I probably shouldn’t ever attempt it.

I believe he does bevel....3K...10K....denim crox...most times.

It may have changed. When I first communicated with him it was before he introduced the 14 blank and we had a nice email exchange about his honing methods.

Top Bottom