What's new

Thinking about trying a new blade

I know the general rule is to stick to one brand of blade and keep using it. I've been shaving with Gillette Silver Blues, and they are by far my favorite blade that I've tried so far. Here's a list of the other brands I've tried.

1. Voskhod- decent, smooth, sharp, though not as sharp as the GSBs.
  2. Feather- very sharp...hit or miss on a good shave. Sometimes I'd get a good shave, other times not so much.
  3. Shark- smooth blade, not the sharpest.
  4. Astra SP- smooth and sharp, very similar to the Voskhods
  5. Wilkinson Sword-ones in the black plastic. Only shaved a few times with these, but from what I remember they were decently smooth and sharp.

I've tried a few other blades such as the Rapira SS and Plat lux blades, but pitched them after I found out they had the uneven edges to them. They were ok, not great, not bad.

So what other blade would you guys recommend to me? I like sharp, but I like smooth too. If I had to pick one over the other, I'd rather have a blade that's more smooth. So far that's the GSBs. But I was wondering if there's another blade out there that's very similar, if not better? I know YMMV and all that.

I'm having pretty good luck with the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow and the Russian made Super Steel in the green box. Really close and comfy shaves

I like the 7 O'clock blacks more than the GSB's. They last longer and feel smoother to me, especially by the 2nd or third shave. My second choice would be the Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus. The Rubies started smoother than the 7 o'clock blacks but didn't last quite as long for me.

You have some of my favorites on your list: Astras, GSB, and German Wilkies. For me Feathers require constant attention.

You might consider some Personnas which are in the same class as the top blades on your list IMO, especially the Reds (Israels), Lab Blues or Med Preps.

You have some of my favorites on your list: Astras, GSB, and German Wilkies. For me Feathers require constant attention.

You might consider some Personnas which are in the same class as the top blades on your list IMO, especially the Reds (Israels), Lab Blues or Med Preps.
+1 for Personna, great product line

GSB
Perma-Sharp Super
7 o'clock Yellow
The smoothest of the sharpest blades I've tried (exception - Feather/Tech) and all made in the St.Petersburg plant.
There's one other though, Personna Lab Blues, American made awesomeness!

If you've got the itch to try something new, based on what you already like, I'd recommend Gillette Rubies (Russian), and Personna Labs, Preps (American) & Crystals (Israeli).

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that I tried the "lab blue" personna blades and didn't get good results. Idk if it was because they were too sharp or what, but my face got pretty torn up. I like that they're made in the U.S, so do they only make the "lab blues", ?

I think Perma-Sharp and PolSilver SI fit your tastes. Perhaps get a sample tuck of each at Tryablade. While you're at it, grab a tuck of Derby just to see if they are as bad as so many B&Bers say they are. In my experience, they're not.

Recently been using Gillette nacet stainless. Sharp but very smooth. Almost zero irritation which for me is unusual.

Those are the ones made for hospital use right? I've been thinking about trying the Pols Super Iridium blades...might give those ones a go.

We seem to have similar taste in blades. I really like the GSBs. I shave with a Muhle R89 Twist and a Slim.

Those that I was willing to buy 100 packs were GSB, Polsilver (200) and Nacets. I think that Nacets and GSBs are equal blades to my face. Polsilvers are as smooth, and just a bit sharper.

Trying more blades from the St Petersburg blade factory might be a good idea(something that I still have to do) because GSB is your favorite already.

The ones I have tried are Astra SP, Astra SS and Gillette Bleue Extra. All three work very well for me but the Astra SS clearly comes out on top. Then there are also the Polsilver SI blades which are highly regarded by many.

I don't really want to try anymore blades made by the company that makes Voskhods, Rapira Plat Lux, Rapira SS etc. I like the Voskhods the few that didn't have uneven edges to them. The rest that I have still shave good, however, I'd rather spend my money on a razor blade that's gonna have even edges. So with that being said what other blades does the GSB factory make besides the other Gillette brand blades? I'm still a newby with most of the blades and where they are made lol. I just know about the few that I've tried.

I really want to like the Personna made in U.S.A. blades...I received 5 blades to try awhile ago, and they all gave me bad shaves. I never tried to stick with them after a shave or 2. Just figured they were garbage.

The Pol SI blades are gonna be my next purchase I'm thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are russian blades too?

Top Bottom