What's new

Things that make you feel old

Well, I can cite a whole bookful of things. You see, for the past several years, I have been videotaping high school sports contests in a quasi-official capacity (the coach uses them for coaching / instructional purposes). Although I seldom interact with the players, there have been enough times when the generational gap declared itself in an obvious way.

Example: one of the salient events of my childhood, and my first political memory, was the launching of Sputnik (now please don't anybody on B&B tell me they don't know what that was). Mentioning this to one of these young kids got only a "What was Sputnik?". And, in general, hearing them talk about events related to their history class which were current events to me. I glanced through a U.S. History text used in their class once. That was interesting!

Reminded me of something I said in the late 50s. My brother was watching a television program and I asked him what it was about. He said "Pearl Harbor". I came back with "What was Pearl Harbor?" My dad, on duty in S.F. and scheduled to fly into Hickam Air Base the day after the attack, was right there. I'm sure I made him feel old. And a few other things as well, no doubt.

Then looking over the calculus exam of one of the girls on the basketball team and not being able to do more than about half of it. In my day, girls didn't ever take calculus, much less in high school.

I would say that stopping in an antique store and spotting a childhood toy for sale - well, that can give you pause.
This has happened to me more than once and I think being "antique" is a step beyond "old." One reason that someone 30 could seem old now however is that 70 is actually the new 30. That could work both ways I suppose.

I went to Wendy's a couple of weeks ago. I order a combo and when the girl rings me up the price seemed kind of low. When I asked if that was the right price, she told me she gave me a Senior discount. I didn't even know Wendy's had a Senior discount and probably would be embarrassed to ask for it. Guess not having to ask for a Senior discount makes it official....I am old. The only place I ask for a Senior discount is the barber shop and that's because I add that dollar savings to the tip.

Another one. Seeing all the Flash and Green Lantern references on Big Bang Theory and thinking about all the Silver and Golden Age comics I tossed out as a kid. My wife got a laugh when I pulled out Vol 1 hardcover archive versions of Flash and Green Lantern that I keep hidden. I loved the early Silver Age of comics, but I can't make heads or tails of the newer ones. My other favorite character was Adam Strange, but I haven't caught a reference to him on Big Bang yet.

Example: one of the salient events of my childhood, and my first political memory, was the launching of Sputnik (now please don't anybody on B&B tell me they don't know what that was). Mentioning this to one of these young kids got only a "What was Sputnik?". And, in general, hearing them talk about events related to their history class which were current events to me. I glanced through a U.S. History text used in their class once. That was interesting!

Sputnik-Why it is a razor blade from Russia !

:drool:

Just thinking, when I was in my last few years on my local police department, some of the new rookies were not even born when I first started. Now that's kind of scary.

There's been a few things... When I realized the old high school buddy of mine I ran into was holding his grandchild... not his child, his grandchild. Got five of my own now, so it doesn't phase me anymore.

Other things... one of our employees was saying something about how old her parents were... When I asked how old they were, they turned out to be quite a bit younger than me.

One that really got me was going into the Shelburne museum in Vermont about 10 years ago.... They had a special exhibit of a house from the fifties. I realized it could have been my parents house that I grew up in.

Knowing my children are middle-aged makes me feel old.
Seeing a grandson get his driver's license makes me feel old.

My knees feel like they're 90, but my hips are only 7 years old now. :biggrin1:

I signed a check yesterday at the bank using my Lamy fountain pen. The teller, who appeared to be 25-30, said, "Wow, awesome pen mister, I've never seen one like that"....made me feel old :wheelchair:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
A couple non-physical ailment things come to mind, first was clicking into this thread, second was a thread about "old" teevee shows that I've never seen (actually saw the last two a couple decades back) , third, huh, I forget

Lastly, a reminder from the SSA that I am eligible the year next

At the grocery store tonight the clerk asked me if i needed help carrying the groceries to my car. 2 packs of bacon and a bag of brussels sprouts. I guess I'm old.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I can't help by jokingly add;
When you can't 'burn the midnight oil'
proxy.php
past 9:00pm
proxy.php

Last edited:
I remember when an internet search would return less than a page of hits. I mean single digit results, all with good information. I signed up for my first home internet service in '93 - Prodigy

I started feeling old when I renewed my driver's licence this year and they put "Gray" as my hair colour. Then I realized that I first went online in 1995 and that anyone born that year will be graduating high school next year and grew up having no idea what non-internet world looked like. :crying:

Driving by a school when the moms are dropping off the kids. I have been startled to note how much YOUNGER the moms are today than compared with - hmmm. Upon reflection the moms are the same age they always have been, the difference is that lemme think - what would be the other variable at play here? You know, I had it a moment ago but it slipped my... well it slipped something - uh, slipped my (what IS it?) my "find" no..., my "bind" no... Sigh - mebbe it will come back to me. ANYwho the moms, they look WAY too young to be shuttling kids around. Back in MY day the moms were - ummm, the moms were something. Moms were... well I guess the moms were moms.:confused1

Top Bottom