What's new

Some purchasing restraint at last - but how old will you be when your supplies run out?

But I've been there many times, and yet I end up buying more .... When I really got into straight razors some four years ago, I thought I would retire my DE collection entirely. Yet I got back to DE shaving. I thought I had all the razors I needed, yet just this summer I got four new razors, and having a fifth on it's way. This is way beyond "needs" ...!! This is beyond any conception of "rational". I can't explain what's going on, it just happens. Yes, I am slightly worried, but it's also a very enjoyable ride.
I think for some of us it's the never ending quest to find "the perfect soap" or "the best razor ever", for others it's the enjoyment of getting a new soap and enjoying another scent, etc.
I do know this...the makers of all things wet shaving would starve if everyone bought just one DE razor and one soap 😏

I am on this bandwagon too. No need to list it all here, but I have enough of all shaving supplies to outlast me.
So I am wondering what this is "really" about. Can someone here tell me ...?
I don't really regret my endless purchases of all things shaving, after all it is quite harmless, and it does cause much enjoyment I must say, but it does seem a bit irrational. Why this continuous desire to indulge in being completely irrational? Or maybe that is not the best way to frame it. But that is my real challenge ... what to make of this mystery of ... a giant and continuously growing stock of all kinds of ... shaving supplies. :red_indian:

I would argue that what's going on at the base level of these irrational purchases is something akin to a mild addiction. You purchase a new product and get a dopamine/serotonin hit. You watch the shipping progress and get more mild hits at each step along the way. It gets delivered, you open the box, and get an even bigger hit.

After a few days or weeks you begin to crave that feeling again and start the process all over. Just my swag attempt at explaining what's going on when you realize it's irrational, but continue to do it.

Edited to add: I'd also agree with @midwestshaver71. The idea that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence can lead to unending purchases in search of the best. Combine that with the dopamine/serotonin hits and we don't stand a chance. Who knew that makers of wet shaving products were the crack dealers of modern times.

(I kid, crack is definitely worse than any wet shaving product)

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
As the Boomers went through the effects of the Greatest Generation, we shook our heads in amazement as we culled silver plated gravy boats and butter dishes, stacks of china replete with bouillon cups and marmalade jars, and etched stemware, and as we wondered how they might unload it all. Our offspring will react similarly to our horde of blades and soaps, especially if that generation, then in its fifties, has adopted the Billy Gibbons look in response to its water shortage.

I would argue that what's going on at the base level of these irrational purchases is something akin to a mild addiction. You purchase a new product and get a dopamine/serotonin hit. You watch the shipping progress and get more mild hits at each step along the way. It gets delivered, you open the box, and get an even bigger hit.

After a few days or weeks you begin to crave that feeling again and start the process all over. Just my swag attempt at explaining what's going on when you realize it's irrational, but continue to do it.

Edited to add: I'd also agree with @midwestshaver71. The idea that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence can lead to unending purchases in search of the best. Combine that with the dopamine/serotonin hits and we don't stand a chance. Who knew that makers of wet shaving products were the crack dealers of modern times.

(I kid, crack is definitely worse than any wet shaving product)
Every living organism behaves this way, always searching for something better. Even bacteria and single-celled organisms are constantly in motion, searching for better conditions, no matter how beneficial their current environment is. This urge is necessary for life to exist, and there has to be some mechanism that drives each organism to do it. In humans we call it ‘happiness’.

Unfortunately happiness is not a stable condition. It is only experienced as a temporary chemical reward for finding a better condition. It is not possible to BE happy, only to experience happiness sometimes.

Recently I found 2657 blades in my shave den. One blade a week, this stash will last me 51.1 years. Most of the blades are the old edition "7 O'clock Sharp Edge" Yellows (923 pcs) bought 13 or 14 ears ago.

The rest are 147 Astra (pre-war edition), 40 Gillette Platinum, 140 Red Israeli Personna Platinum, 90 Feathers, 59 Crystal Personna, 300 BIC Platinum, 250 Wilkinsons German, 200 KAI, 200 Lord Platinum Class, 200 Lord SS.
In a lot smaller numbers I have Treet Dura Sharp Blue, Black Ninjas and a few other blades from samples.

After this inventory, I switched to two blades a week.

My soaps and creams will last me the next 11.5 -12 years (2.7 kg Jikoryen sticks, 900 g Arko sticks, 6x RR WTP, four Palmira soaps, Proraso tubes blue and red, two Nivea cream tubes, and two Wilkinson Sword soaps.

Being a cigarette smoker for 31 years, a heavy smoker for the most part, I'll be happy if I wake up in 2034.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
My blades, based on actual usage calculation, will last 10 years.

My soaps, based on estimated per shave usage, will last 9.5 years.

I'll be 71, assuming I don't buy any new consumables. Like that will happen.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Accumulate enough blades and you can live forever!
Lol, I always tell my mom that I the Dr says I will live for at least another 2 months, since that is the distance between my appointments!

As to the facts being discussed, the ONLY thing that I have that I may use up is blades.

Top Bottom