What's new

Some purchasing restraint at last - but how old will you be when your supplies run out?

I have been reading of the reformulation of Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap and read the advice to stock up, and so found myself with a few pucks of tallow MWF in my online shopping basket. Before I finished my purchase I decided to do a stock take of my soaps and estimate how long my current supply would last. I allowed a conservative nine months for a bowl or puck, and six months for a stick in my calculations.

I was astonished to find I have in excess of 40 pucks or bowls of Yardley Black Label, Yardley Lavender, Shulton Old Spice, Cussons Imperial Leather, Goya Cedarwood, Goya Corvette, Roger & Gallet L'Homme, Faberge Brut, and Tabac. Similarly I have almost 50 sticks of Yardley Black Label, Yardley Lavender, Cussons Imperial Leather, Shulton Old Spice, Williams, Tabac, Dubarry Silkashave, Palmolive, and Erasmic; plus a few tubes of Yardley, Shulton Old Spice and Old Spice Burley creams. I am now 56 years of age and have sufficient soap to last me well into my 80s if not my 90s. It suddenly dawned on me that the purchase I was about to make was madness, and to make matters worse I don't even like Mitchell's Wool Fat which is why I do not currently use it 🤣 And don't get me started on vintage aftershave, I have so much I could wash the car with it and I am still buying it 🤪

So, I emptied my online basket and congratulated myself on my frugal restraint 😇 But, I am a realist and I am confident that the next time I see a Yardley Black Label shave soap I will not be able to resist. Nevertheless, I succeeded in not buying some items that I neither like, need, nor want, which is a small victory for common sense. I explained that to my lovely wife expecting to be praised for my good behaviour, but she did not seem to appreciate the magnitude of my achievement 🤣

So, with your current stock, how old will you be before you run out of soap, blades, or aftershave?

Great work!! Your heirs should be well fixed (as will mine)!! :em2300::em2300:

I caved to pressure today and bought some more GSBs. The price was too good to pass up and with rumors of Gillette moving production, I thought I'd stock up before we tried the new production. With my luck, the ones from India will be vastly superior. Well, then I guess I have to stock up on those as well.

Blades: not many, mostly ~200 Feather left, --> 5-10 years as I rarely use them
Razors: if I count straight razors --> easily 2-3 thousand years
Soap: - MWF: 11 pucks left --> 5-10 years
- Tabac: 2 tallow pucks, one vegan (but will throw or give it away as I don't like it) --> 1 year
- OAM: 0.25 --> will last me another two weeks or three, with a bit of luck
- Razorock: 3-4 soaps --> ~2 yeas
- Others (Trumpers, Proraso, Muhle, etc.): around 5 left --> not sure, will likely give them away
Brushes: 3 badgers, one synth --> will likely outlive me as they are very good quality
Aftershave: only 3 TOSB and 1 La Biosthetique --> 3 years.
Sharpening stones: will outlive me.

For the record, I am on the young side and some of those numbers should not seem that crazy.

As of this morning I have 92 Bic Chrome Platinum blades which should last me about 1.75 years.
92 * 7 = 644 644 / 366.25 (2024 leap year) = 1.75 years of shaving.

My Proraso Green cream tube has about 7/8 left. Probably about a month or more.

My Dickinson's witch hazel bottle is nearly full.

Sadly, my Proraso Green aftershave is all but gone. This morning, my slippery arthritic fingers dropped the travel bottle in the sink basin where most of the contents went down the drain. I will replace it with a basic store brand shopping this morning.

At the youngish age of 62 :a14:

149 shave soaps & creams (my CDO[alphabetically correct] means I need to buy 1 more);

5000+ blades ( I hear about an interesting one, and I buy a hunksi);

100 A/S;

34 Brushes (and a "Cheagle" by Rudy Vey in development):drool::drool::drool:

31 razors (with only 5 at the most in the rotation)

I truly do not need to purchase anything else shave-wise. However, that's not going to happen! So I need to live to be at least 150 years old by my current calculations.

marty

Last edited:
I’ve just finished moving house. The act of packing and subsequently unpacking the sum total of my shaving equipment has put the scale of the collection into perspective. At the old place everything slowly built up in the background. It’s funny how a change of location and layout affects your perception of things.

I went a little crazy in the beginning. I wanted to try everything in an attempt to find the perfect soap. What I discovered is that there’s a lot of great soap out there. About a third of what I acquired made it into the keepers pile. The rest was moved on.

I currently have about 4 years worth of soap to work through. 16 tubs that are half full on average. I won’t be buying anymore else until my stockpile has been significantly reduced. It should see my through until I’m 45. This year I’m doing a 3017 blitz to clear out some of the dregs.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just did the math. It appears I have 8 years of DE blades around. I didn’t run the numbers on my AC blades.

I’m 70 so I might just have a lifetime supply.

I probably have 6 or 7 years of soap on hand but that’s only because Canada Shaving Soap might be eternal. <eg>

Reminds me of the day in an interview when I was asked if I was fast at math. My reply was, "Yes!" The interviewer asked me what 237×8÷3 was. My very quick reply, "500" The interviewer said I was wrong. I told him that I said I was fast. Not necessarily correct. :001_smile
That's beautiful, man. 🤣

I've got around 1,500 DE blades, multiple lifetime's worth, considering how often I use them.
7 Rolls Razor blades, my main go to, again, multiple lifetime's worth.
Six month supply of aftershave.
A roughly 30-40 year supply of shaving soap, mostly the 23 pucks of MWF/Kent I stocked up on. Not sure what to do with the Arko 12 pack or the three La Tojas I bought at the same time. I will say that constant exposure and repeated use will eventually turn Arko into a (fake) lemon scented soap instead of a citronella fuelled powerhouse, even for people like me who can smell a trace of citronella from a good distance.

Unfortunately, I don't find either Arko or La Toja to be particularly good replacements for MWF, though I will need to spend more time with each before I can definitively say that for sure.

Before the most recent stock up, I had maybe 5-10 soaps and creams in use and stored.

I'm fine for brushes, but really ought to get a backup for my favorite. Shavemac won't be around forever.

I'm not going to run out of razors anytime soon either.

Aftershaves, about six months worth. I pretty much only use Derby City Chop Shop's Winter Reserve, and as it's both seasonal and small batch, I pick up between 2-4 bottles when it's in stock.

Top Bottom