What's new

Thick and dark beards vs. lighter and wiry beards

My beard hairs are grayish and red, sharp and wiry.

Just reading a review of the Hollander and Casselman research and noticed an interesting sideline. It appears that the real difference in shaving these 2 types of beards is related to hydration. It takes much longer for graying, lighter and reddish beards that are more wiry and curly to soak up water, so the time spent hydrating is key here. Dark beards hydrate faster.

I always thought the thick, dark bearded guys had a harder time of it but I was wrong. Those guys also tend to have hairs that grow straighter in the beginning, making it easier to shave, instead of growing closer against the skin like mine, which places a premium on technique.

Whoa is me...LOL

We all have the same beard here: thick, coarse, sensitive skin.

LOL!

I've heard that said frequently in this forum, but usually when someone was complaining about their beard type...

Truth is we're not all the the same--far from it--and if we act like we are we will sometimes unintentionally give bad advice to others who are different from us.

My beard is so light and soft that most days I just put a little cream on and let the cat lick it off to get BBS

proxy.php

Top Bottom