What's new

Tyleman's Ever Evolving Facial Hair

1. What is your real name?

Ty Lehman

2. What is the meaning of your username?

It is my name with the space removed ;-)

Actually when I found B&B, I was doing research for my first DE razor and found it hard to do searches without being a member. I joined not thinking of a cool username, because I did not expecting to remain… I was just trying to find information easier.

3. Roughly where on this this big blue ball do you live?

Austin Texas

4. How old are you?

5. What do you do in real life?

IT for the University of Texas

6. When did you first start to grow facial hair, and when did it actually start to look decent?

I could grow I fine beard by early in college and have had some kind of facial hair for most of the last 30 years

7. What type of facial hair do you wear, and how often do you change it up?

Now I am a handlebar guy. However, for most of my life I grew a Circle Beard, I guess in the past I did the circle beard because it was easier to shave. Just down each cheek one time with a cartridge razor… (that was before I actually enjoyed shaving.) I left out shaving the harder bits like over the lip and my chin.

8. What types of products do you use, and did you use any before you started hanging around here?

I now have several shaving soaps and creams that I use when shaving and i also have several aftershaves. Before joining, I would shave with a can of goo or just shave dry.

On the beard or mustache, I used nothing before coming to B&B.

Now on the mustache I use lanoline regularly, but I have several beard oils and balms that I also use, often at night. I occasionally wax my mustache and have tried many waxes, but think I like Capt. Fawcett’s, Firehouse, and Blade Before Shave products best. I also use got-2b-glued jells and hairspray.

9. Scissors, trimmer, or both?

Scissors are what I use now on the few occasions I need to trim the mustache, but I used trimmer all the time when I had a bead and before I know how to grow a proper handlebar.

10. Brush, comb or both?

I use both. I love kent combs and use one every day when styling in the morning, I also carry a Capt. Fawcett’s mustache brush that I bought from the owner at the WBMC2017. I have lager boar brushes and round brushes that I use when styling as well.

11. Do you like to keep your lines nice and tight, or just get them close enough?

There are some rules on where to shave for my style of mustache, but it is usually pretty easy now that I have long whiskers next to clean-shaven cheeks to keep the lines.

In the past I would find that the sides of my circle beard would get wider and wider, about once a month I would use trimer to get them back in shape.

12. What is your favorite razor for beard lines?

When I need to get the lines of a beard or mustache really in order, I like to use a Gillette old or my New Improved Gillette “tuck away”. I think the open comb razors with thin teeth like that are easier to get right up to where you want to shave

13. What is the longest you've ever let your facial hair grow?

I guess it has been over a year, when trying to get the center of my handlebar grown out. I now will trim only sparingly. my mustache is about 8 inches from tip to tip now, at one time it was closer to 12, but now that the middle has grown out i can let it all grow and see what happens.

In the beard days I would trim about once month with the grain with trimmer set to the longest to clean it up. However, now I would most likely let it grow more after meeting more serious beard guys at competitions.

14. Has your facial hair started to turn gray or white, if so how do you feel about the change?

Oh yes my hair is all grey and my beard and mustache have gone as well. My mustache is darker than the beard, which is now almost totally white.

I really don’t mind that my hair and beard turned grey. I am happy enough that I have pretty much hair on my head, although I can’t grow I long once it turned grey it seems more brittle. i guess I am not that happy with some dark stipes in my beard on either side of my mouth, because they are asymmetrical, but I don’t see them since I went with just a mustache about 4 years ago.

15. Do you ever shave it all off?

I have never seen my dad without a beard except in some pictures from before I was born. I however do not mind changing things up from time to time. I have shaved my beard, mustache, and even my head at times, but I probably have not staid clean-shaven for more than a month at a time. When I do shave everything I like to surprise people, like shaving at night and going to bed with the lights out, and hearing a shriek and have the light come on when my wife finds out as I kiss her goodnight. Although sometimes surprising my kids when they were little with a clean face, lead to a lot of crying, and insisting that I grow it back.

16. Any tips you have for someone trying to grow there first beard or mustache?

With both a beard or maybe to a greater extent a handlebar mustache there are awkward times that you just have to push through. On the beard, it is the itchy times during the first month, when the hairs are to short and stiff to feel soft. Beard oils can help, but just resist the urge to cut it off.

For a handlebar you really need to let it grow out over your upper lip, and this can take months. you need to control it at that stage. Some use wax, but my whiskers were too wiry and it did not seem to hold, at that stage got-2b-glued came to the rescue. I could comb that through and it would dry and hold anything in the a basic shape out of your mouth. When it gets longer, you can just comb it to the sides. It gets much easier, and you really need to let all of it grow like that if you want to take your handlebar to the next level.

Me about 25 years ago full beard
upload_2017-12-3_11-59-37.png

Me about 10 years ago still had long hair and not much grey
upload_2017-12-3_12-0-4.png

This is from last year with a winter beard.
upload_2017-12-3_12-0-36.png

Me at the World Beard and Mustache Championship with 6-time world champion in “Natural Mustache” Wolfgang Schneider
upload_2017-12-3_12-1-8.png

Great looking beard and mustache! I don't know if I'll ever have the patience to cultivate and maintain a proper handlebar, but if I do yours is what I would aspire to have.

Top Bottom