What's new

"The Zone"

I've been into this whole wetshaving thing now since Christmas of last year, so just a little over three months.

For the first couple of months, I have to say, my results were frustrating to say the least. No matter the razor, blade, soap, cream, superlather, oil, aftershave, etc. that I used, I really couldn't achieve a shave without irritation. At one point, I even picked up the Mach 3 and gave it a whirl. The shave was mediocre, but it didn't take the time or energy that the DE did.

Needless to say, there have been several points where I thought about giving up on this whole thing and just going back to the status quo canned gunk and throw-away razors. With the amount of shaving "gear" I've acquired, I could probably pay for a year of mediocre shaves with a Mach 3.

Well, I didn't give up and now I'm glad I did. For the past few weeks, I seem to have found "the zone." In this zone, I achieve really nice shaves with no irritation. Astonishingly, I've found that I'm still in the zone when I rotate products, leave some products out, and try new products.

So, why this lengthy post? Well, I'll tell you why. I want to say that from my extremely limited experience, I've found that the zone is less about product and more about technique. You can have the most expensive soap in the world, the shiniest Fat Boy and the sharpest blade, but you're still going to beat your face up if you don't nail the technique. When I first started, I was convinced that all I needed to do was find the right cream and the right ASB and the rest would take care of itself. Oh how wrong was I!

Anyway, being in the zone is a nice feeling, and I was curious if anyone around here had similar "zone" experiences.

Also, a word of encouragement to the new guys...keep plugging away, it really is worth it!

I have had similar experience. I have found that after 3 months, I am getting consistently better and better shaves. I have been rotating everything lately and am also finding that my shaves are staying consistently good.

Wet shaving is like any other skill; intelligent repetition leads to improving results.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So, why this lengthy post? Well, I'll tell you why. I want to say that from my extremely limited experience, I've found that the zone is less about product and more about technique. You can have the most expensive soap in the world, the shiniest Fat Boy and the sharpest blade, but you're still going to beat your face up if you don't nail the technique. When I first started, I was convinced that all I needed to do was find the right cream and the right ASB and the rest would take care of itself. Oh how wrong was I!

Good point. As long as you have decent stuff, a good technique will get a great shave.

So, why this lengthy post? Well, I'll tell you why. I want to say that from my extremely limited experience, I've found that the zone is less about product and more about technique.

Ah, grasshopper. As quickly as you can, snatch the Feathers from my hand. When you can snatch the blades, it will be time for you to go. (Apologies to Keye Luke)

Come to balance in the Force you have. No further training do you require. But Jedi are you? Not yet. One task left to face you have. Vader...um, I mean the M3. Your dependency lose you must. Only when reconciled you are to the Force, will free you be from the Dark Side or forever will it dominate your destiny.

Alright. All the Kung Fu/Yoda/zen stuff aside, you have gotten it just about right. You can now concentrate on finding those products that really do get the nth degree of performance for you. Well done.

Regards, Todd

I know exactly what you mean. I had a great shave yesterday with nothing more than a Tweezerman brush, my fatboy with a Derby blade, and some CO Bigelow (Proraso) shaving cream. I was just careful, and those skills honed by practice came in to play, and my shave was very comfortable, very close, and very enjoyable.

I agree with this. When the technique is good, a shave with Erasmic and a splash of Brut afterwards is as good as one with Trumpers soap and DR Harris aftershave.

I've found that the zone is less about product and more about technique.

Quite so. I've seen this with other things as well (cameras in particular, but other things as well). People can easily get hung up on all the choices of whatever they are into and never really get the core idea. But, if you can get the core concept down pat, you'll really be able to appreciate all the differences in those multitudinous options in way that you would never be able to do otherwise. Congratulations on your realization!

- R

Just a side note...shortly after I wrote the initial post, the M3 was stowed away, in the grocery bag filled with "extra" sundries, ie the shampoos and conditioners I collect from hotels. I didn't want to throw it out...after all, you never know when you might have company :tongue_sm

Ah, grasshopper. As quickly as you can, snatch the Feathers from my hand. When you can snatch the blades, it will be time for you to go. (Apologies to Keye Luke)

Come to balance in the Force you have. No further training do you require. But Jedi are you? Not yet. One task left to face you have. Vader...um, I mean the M3. Your dependency lose you must. Only when reconciled you are to the Force, will free you be from the Dark Side or forever will it dominate your destiny.

Alright. All the Kung Fu/Yoda/zen stuff aside, you have gotten it just about right. You can now concentrate on finding those products that really do get the nth degree of performance for you. Well done.

Regards, Todd

I guess I am coming up on 1.5 months, and still enjoying wet shaving. I have hit the zone a few times, but never consistently like you are talking about. So, the days when things don't work quite right are challenging. That being said, even without having a BBS shave all the time I enjoy the ritual and experience of wet shaving too much to quit. Thanks for the incite and post as it has helped me.

And then wait for the AntiZone to strike... I tried to donate blood last night courtesy of my headshave :blush:

On the upside, I did get to watch the living experiment that is blood flow meeting the styptic... too bad it was my head :001_rolle

Top Bottom