What's new

The Yuma

Today during my lunch break I bought the legendary and infamous Yuma safety razor for the sum of exactly 1,50 euro. This thing screams 'pot metal' and I assume it won't take long before it starts crumbling away. Still, I'm pretty excited and looking forward to my 1st shave with this thing!

IMG_20240215_180930430.jpg

They don't crumble.
Enjoy the value and your shave.

Where did you pick it up?
In some sort of general store. We have a large community of Turkish migrants where I live so it's fairly easy to get hold of Yuma razors, Arko soap etc. And all very cheap.

Today during my lunch break I bought the legendary and infamous Yuma safety razor for the sum of exactly 1,50 euro. This thing screams 'pot metal' and I assume it won't take long before it starts crumbling away. Still, I'm pretty excited and looking forward to my 1st shave with this thing!

View attachment 1796716
You paid too much. In Ukraine, this razor costs around $0.4 (and that's the price including the manufacturer's profit, importer's margin, and transportation expenses).

1708025184919.png

Update:
And in some places, you can even buy it for 20 cents. :letterk1::letterk1::letterk1::letterk1:

1708025689761.png

Last edited:
You paid too much. In Ukraine, this razor costs around $0.4 (and that's the price including the manufacturer's profit, importer's margin, and transportation expenses).

View attachment 1796792
I think 1,50 euro was still reasonable. It still has to be imported from Turkey and probably three or four parties have to make some profit. The manufacturer, the wholesale guy, the guy who imports it and the guy that sold it to me.

I've also seen these for sale for 3 euro in certain shops but that's clearly too much.

Fun fact is that I read somewhere that these are made using very old machines that were once used by large cutlery factories in Solingen, Germany.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
It seems to me that there is more metal in the foil from a bar of chocolate than was used to make this razor. :letterk1:
I think last year we determined that the ones from Ukraine (fakes) are not built like the Turkish Yumas.
Read this thread.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Fun fact is that I read somewhere that these are made using very old machines that were once used by large cutlery factories in Solingen, Germany.
Probably a true story. The reason I bought my Yuma was because I own and use what we called the "generic Solingen".
It has a differential head ("fixed" adjustable, one side more aggressive than the other). Post-war (I think) maybe earlier.
I wanted to compare it with the German one shown below. (mild side up)

full

View attachment 1796716

I don't think it will crumble, but it will probably tarnish. That's your protective coating. :D

If you can dry it off after use, that should help it last for many years.

Probably a true story. The reason I bought my Yuma was because I own and use what we called the "generic Solingen".
It has a differential head ("fixed" adjustable, one side more aggressive than the other). Post-war (I think) maybe earlier.
I wanted to compare it with the German one shown below. (mild side up)

full

Wow, the similarity is striking. And the Yuma and your "generic Solingen" also looks very much like the Merkur 1904 which is the last remaining fully 'pot metal' razor Merkur still makes.

I think last year we determined that the ones from Ukraine (fakes) are not built like the Turkish Yumas.
Read this thread.
My goodness, making knockoffs of a product that costs $1.5 to sell for 20 cents.....

By the way, I just now noticed in the description that the country of manufacture is China.

Top Bottom