What's new

The WORST Cologne You've Owned / Smelled?

I remember going through the fragrances at a counter of a department store about a decade ago. I cannot remember the name, it was something Greek sounding, but it smelled like urine. All I could think of while smelling it is the line from Sweeney Todd: Smells like ****, This is ****, **** with ink.

I'll throw in: any poor clone of anything. Bad Drakkar Noir copies from the dollar store, for example.

Any affordable Oud is synthetic, but there are good ones and bad ...

AA
Dakar – Al-Rehab Eau De Natural Perfume Spray is the best Drakkar clone available and it's super strong. I would say the most horrible Drakkar clone is Clubman Pinaud Lustray eau de toilette Draggon Noir. It smells so bad like cheap plastic.

JOOP! Homme Eau De Toilette. I can't stand the smell of it, smells way too sweet and way too girly. If you hate someone and want to ruin their bday give them a bottle of this fragnance.

I consider myself pretty tolerant of a wide range of fragrances, and enjoy several that are on some folks' horror lists, such as Yatagan, Tabac, and Kouros.

The fragrances that were immediate rejections for me were:

D.R. Harris Marlborough: I like almost all their other scents, but this to me is a dry, dusty ashtray. Gave it away.
Acca Kappa Green Mandarin: hard to stuff up a citrus, but they did a great job here; smells exactly like a squashed stinkbug. Couldn't give it away.
Lilac Vegetal: I most definitely was not chosen.
Tom Ford Tuscan Leather: what a shock for such an expensive fragrance; acrid burnt rubber. Fortunately sample only.
Pino Silvestre: the description sounds right up my alley, but all I got was a nasty chemical pine note.

But; of course, scent is very subjective, as this thread proves.

Czech & Speake Cuba - nasty (fecal?) note
I love this scent! I think of those fecal notes as baby diaper, and they are defintiely there. But sniff an unlit real Cuban cigar (alright, maybe not every Cuban cigar! :) ) and tell me you to not smell those exact fecal-like scent notes in the cigar. I htink C&S Cuba is a remarkable scent. I have not been to Havana, but this scent makes me feel like it takes me there. Maybe drinking a lime and rum in some sort of tobacco warehouse district.

I consider myself pretty tolerant of a wide range of fragrances, and enjoy several that are on some folks' horror lists, such as Yatagan, Tabac, and Kouros.

The fragrances that were immediate rejections for me were:

D.R. Harris Marlborough: I like almost all their other scents, but this to me is a dry, dusty ashtray. Gave it away.
Acca Kappa Green Mandarin: hard to stuff up a citrus, but they did a great job here; smells exactly like a squashed stinkbug. Couldn't give it away.
Lilac Vegetal: I most definitely was not chosen.
Tom Ford Tuscan Leather: what a shock for such an expensive fragrance; acrid burnt rubber. Fortunately sample only.
Pino Silvestre: the description sounds right up my alley, but all I got was a nasty chemical pine note.

But; of course, scent is very subjective, as this thread proves.
Subjective for sure.

I absolutely love Tom Ford Tuscan Leather and Ombre Leather. My wife and daughter despise both when I wear them. 🤷‍♂️

I remember going through the fragrances at a counter of a department store about a decade ago. I cannot remember the name, it was something Greek sounding, but it smelled like urine. All I could think of while smelling it is the line from Sweeney Todd: Smells like ****, This is ****, **** with ink.
You are thinking of Kouros and your description of the top notes is spot on, especially for the vintage version. But the dry down is wonderful, and fairly easily accessible. A great frag. The current version is much dumbed down as I recall.

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather: what a shock for such an expensive fragrance; acrid burnt rubber.
Another wonderful scent and your description of a fairly predominant scent note is very good. But there is nothing inexpensive or unintentional about that note. Lots of leather frags have it. It is even stronger in Knize Ten. Although I admit that K10 is not an easy frag. Tauer Lonestar Memories is another. I think it kind of comes with the birch tar, which is what most leather scents, the good ones, anyway, are based on. I think Bugari Black is pretty much just that note, maybe vanilla in there, too, although I am guessing that the burned rubber is dumbed down the the current version. Not that I like Bulgari Black all that much. I love the other scents named.

I absolutely love Tom Ford Tuscan Leather and Ombre Leather. My wife and daughter despise both when I wear them.
Here is a bit of a thought experiment. I think it became fashionable among perfume critics a decade or maybe two ago to start saying there is no distinction between scents so that there are masculine and feminine scents. That may be true for many scents these days--I am not sure Aventus is particularly masculine or feminine, for instance, and I guess I would say the same as an example for a lot of gourmond scents, but I do not much like gourmond scents anyway--but I would say that burned rubber note is pretty masculine most of the time, and the more of it in a leather scent, the more that leather scent is masculine. That said, and I was not the first one to say this on Badger and Blade, I would very much like to meet the woman who wears K10!

I would very much like to meet the woman who wears K10!
If a woman wears Knize 10, Polo Green, Lomani for Man, Quorum or Drakkar… she wears the pants in the relationship. I am kidding, but it would be quite odd. 🤪

I do wear the odd feminine fragrance… MFK BR540, L'Artisan Parfumeur La Chasse aux Papillons Extreme and a few from Zoologist. I love them and nobody has asked me to hand in my man card yet. 👍

I also have have lots of “unisex“ fragrances. I still think it is pretty common for perfume houses to say a fragrance is unisex vs. masculine or feminine. Makes sense as why limit your customers to one sex?

On the recommendation of Sir Michael Caine and Sir Sean Connery I've added Guerlain Jicky to my scents. It only takes a little on that stuff.

You are thinking of Kouros and your description of the top notes is spot on, especially for the vintage version. But the dry down is wonderful, and fairly easily accessible. A great frag. The current version is much dumbed down as I recall.

Another wonderful scent and your description of a fairly predominant scent note is very good. But there is nothing inexpensive or unintentional about that note. Lots of leather frags have it. It is even stronger in Knize Ten. Although I admit that K10 is not an easy frag. Tauer Lonestar Memories is another. I think it kind of comes with the birch tar, which is what most leather scents, the good ones, anyway, are based on. I think Bugari Black is pretty much just that note, maybe vanilla in there, too, although I am guessing that the burned rubber is dumbed down the the current version. Not that I like Bulgari Black all that much. I love the other scents named.

I hear you, Mate, and I greatly respect your opinions on fragrances. I have noted that we share many favourites.

Sometimes there is a component of a fragrance that I just can't get past, and this was the case for me with TL.
Noting the conversations on Czech and Speake Cuba, I didn't detect a fecal note, but found the opening sharp mint and lime notes a bit too much for me. On the other hand, their No. 88 and Oxford and Cambridge are amongst my favourites.

I didn't detect a fecal note,
Interestng! I can definitely smell what folks are talking about, but it is there in a least many Cuban cigars, and maybe all cigars. Lots of scents have strong animalic notes, which I think is what we are talking about, although not all are fecal.

As I recall those sharp mint and lime top notes fade/blow off fairly quickly settling down into something more subtle. C&S is one of my favorite houses. O&C is one of my favorite all time scents. 88 is a wonderful, arguably singular scent. For its niche, I would say Cuba does it about as well as any. I would say that I am not always in the mood for Cuba.

Top Bottom