What's new

The Worst Blade

Dorco-301s came up in my rotation again three days ago and I got about a minute into t head shave and had to switch blades. There was just no sharpness to it. I tried a Derby last night and it was hard to get through a whole head shave with it so I picked up my SA with a Personna with a good four shaves on it and finished the shave.

There was a a huge difference, no pulling, it glided and made short work of finishing up. I have Astras on their way and cant wait to see what they are like.

Dorco 301 for me too; got a pack for free when I bought some Feathers. Used one for about 10 seconds, laughed, and threw it out. Unbelievably uncomfortable!

I haven't tried them all, but of the ones I have tried, Lords (can't remember if the stainless or platinum variety, and I doubt it matters) would have to have been the worst.
The comparison that comes to mind is being forced to perform self-surgery with a butter knife.

Now I don't have the most experience with different blades, but the worst I've tried so far has been the 7AM. One mediocre shave and toasted. And I tried two different blades just to give them a fair try.

Last edited:
If the thread was titled "The Best Blade" it probably would have received the same mix of replies.

Worst: Topaz
Bad: Derby
Average: Merkur
Good: most "platimun" blades
Best: Feather

YMMV.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Derby extra by far for me. Those things tugged and pulled the hair as if it was a half sharpened ancient rock tool.

I'm surprised to see Sharks mentioned so much. I've had pretty good luck with them. I use at least three tucks a month of them. But I don't have very dense or thick facial hair either. YMMV I guess.

I have not been able to get even one shave from Shark or Derby blades. It is real strange because some people swear by them - it really is different for everybody.

Still can't figure out how Feathers are too sharp! :confused1

Top Bottom