What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

Good quick review of the 2 RR.My experience with the 2 razors is the same.
Thanks Mark it was a relatively easy Shave Off to read. I wish I had more time to do a more detailed review with photos etc but you know I've been a little crazy busy.

Shave Off report!

RR Game Changer mild plate vs RR Mamba

Ok guys I apologize for the long delay but honestly this week was and still is a bear of a week so this Shave Off is without photos and it will be a short write up as I have a whole lot of work to do in the next 4 days and I hope you can forgive my shortness.

I did the Shave Off the other day and in fact I'm in need of a quick shave tomorrow and I will just do a one pass shave with one of my razors just to get me by and when Toggle gets back to the den ( it's on it's way ) I'll do the Shave Off that a few members asked for.

The Game Changer is to me one of the best bang for the buck razors in modern razors and it along with the Karve, Mamba, new Colonial General and new Stirling along with some others are to me a new generation of more high quality affordable razors. I don't have a Game Changer but I've shaved with it a few times and ones been in my den twice now so I've had a few shaves with it. I had a Mamba for a while but then sold it as for me it was just to mild and at the time I had a lot of razors that covered that niche. I use to buy almost every darn razor that came out because I wanted to try them out and some would stay and some would be in and out of the den is a short time if they didn't stand out or if like I said I had a razor that was similar but a little bit better in different areas. Both of these razors cost a very fair price in my opinion.

Anyway here is the short Shave Off report.

2 pass Shave Off going both WTG and ATG

Gear used:
RR GC with the mild plate
RR Mamba mild plate
M & M Naid shave soap
New Astra blades then Feathers
Wolf Whiskers Synthetic brush

1st Pass WTG - Started on my right side on the N to S pass with the Mamba and I was on 2 days growth and it was struggling a little and I thought to myself maybe I should go with a sharper blade so I pulled the Astras out of the Mamba and GC and put in once used Feathers and continued my N to S pass and it was noticeably better but this is a mild razor and my beard is quite tough to deal with so all and all the pass went good and around the mouth and my lips this razor is a pleasure to shave with as it's so mild and I say mild. Smoothness is very good on the Mamba but for me it's not what I'd call very efficient but for members with sensitive skin I'd say it was a good daily shaver. Finished the pass and continued downward with the CG and to me it was pretty easy to feel the difference in efficiency between them with the CG being the most efficient of the two. Had a nice enjoyable pass like I've had from the CG before. This razor has a little more audible feedback and blade feel than the Mamba but it's certainly not something to be afraid of as it's still a fairly mild smooth shaver. So got another good pass! On to my left side to start my N to S pass with the GC and it was a very nice pass and since my left side is my easier to shave side I was paying attention to how smooth the razor was that I almost wasn't concentrating on the rest of the Shave Off. Under the nose and around my lips both of these razors were very good. Finished that pass and continued my N to S journey. As soon as I picked up the Mamba this time I thought to myself this razor is very mild and smooth but to me the name does not fit the razor at all. A Mamba aka Black Mamba is one of the most if not the most aggressive snakes in the world and the only one I know of that will strike more than once and keep delivering more venom each time. It has been known to chase people as it's speed demon and that is no lie! Fast and deadly.. not fit for this razor. More like a Garden snake or maybe a soft fluffy rabbit! LOL So finished the last WTG pass. Nice passes but the the GC is ahead at this point.

2nd Pass ATG - Started with the CG at the base of my neck on my right side and it was taking down my stubble nicely and other than my nasty old cowlick where it slowed down a bit and the blade feedback got a little louder on that spot. Still nice pass and I then picked up the Mamba and continued upward with a little bit of skin stretching and I can see how this razor is liked by a lot of members who like a very smooth shaver. For me its to mild as I'm used to shaving with much more efficient razors. Finished up the ATG pass with the Mamba and over to the other side where I began my S to N pass with and a good pass and the best pass the Mamba had so far. Picked up the GC and continued upward on my face and it was like the GC was saying smooth but don't underestimate me as it really had it's best pass of the Shave Off. Smooth yet nicely efficient which works best for me when comparing these two popular razors. So finished the pass and this one is in the books.

I'm calling this my Lazy Boy Shave Off!

Summary

It was clear to me after the first pass that the winner was the Game Changer as it's just a tiny fraction less smooth than the Mamba but definitely more efficient. So after a rinise and face feel the winner was the Game Changer and I have to say I like the shave it gives better than the Mamba right from the get go.

So congrats to the RR Game Changer for sending its RR brother the Mamba into the eliminated area while the GC moves on to the next round!

Again sorry my friends for the Short not to detailed Shave Off but hopefully you get the gist of my earlier message as this is one crazy week!

Great Shaves my friends!

DB

Great shave off and write up as always! Just curious and not sure if you've tried both, is there much jump in efficiency and blade feel between the 0.84 and 0.68 Gamechangers?

Great shave off and write up as always! Just curious and not sure if you've tried both, is there much jump in efficiency and blade feel between the 0.84 and 0.68 Gamechangers?

Hello my friend!
Thank you but that was the quickest and shortest Shave Off I’ve done and with no photos it just feels blah to me looking back on it. Next Shave Off back to normal.

Yes there is a definite jump in efficiency which I prefer and the blade feel is slightly more but still smooth in my opinion. The GC is one hella of a bang for the buck razor.

Thanks for the short shave off Frank :a14:

@ShavingPanda My experience has been similar as the 84 has slight blade feel but is extremely smooth and reasonably efficient compared to the 68 The 68 is not nearly as efficient and the Mamba is so mild that I would need 4 passes to equal 1.5 pass of the 84. Although the Mamba is mild it is so much more pleasurable than the classic mild beginner razor, the EJ89.

Good review Frank, it may have been short but it got the points across. I am glad my GC got the win. I do much prefer the 84 and it is definitely more efficient and a little more blade feel. That is one of the razors I never plan to sale.
Happy shaves my friend
Jason

Thanks for the short shave off Frank

Good review Frank, it may have been short but it got the points across. I am glad my GC got the win. I do much prefer the 84 and it is definitely more efficient and a little more blade feel. That is one of the razors I never plan to sale.
Happy shaves my friend
Jason

Thanks Guys and I prefer the .84 plate myself but the 68 has enough juice in it to take this one.

Hello my friend and thanks for the kind words. It does have it's challenging moments and days but I thoroughly enjoy it and I'm about to do a Father's Day Shave Off this afternoon. Have a great one and hope to see you more often as I always enjoyed our interactions and come on.. your a hero as the only guy I know that shaves with very efficient razors using no Shave Soap and only water!! :punk:
Thanks. Have been using a razor you've got to try. A tiny little thing called a Mark Cross. Was manufactured in 1912 and sold the following year. Used the right way (with a single DE blade split in half and loaded mindfully to produce the best result), it's as good as any razor I've used. Ever. That includes the Wolfman and the Charcoal Goods. Picked it up for $20. Perhaps I'm the only one who will feel this way, but I doubt it. A bit of a pain to load but no big deal and it's infinitely adjustable depending on how one loads.

Thanks. Have been using a razor you've got to try. A tiny little thing called a Mark Cross. Was manufactured in 1912 and sold the following year. Used the right way (with a single DE blade split in half and loaded mindfully to produce the best result), it's as good as any razor I've used. Ever. That includes the Wolfman and the Charcoal Goods. Picked it up for $20. Perhaps I'm the only one who will feel this way, but I doubt it. A bit of a pain to load but no big deal and it's infinitely adjustable depending on how one loads.
As you recall i like the Mark Cross with an injector blade, but agree it's a great find. I have to admit I haven't used it as much as I used to since finding how good the Enders-Proline match is. The Mark Cross is superior under the nose but i otherwise prefer the shave and ergonomics of the Enders which im currently using exclusively while sojourning in SE Asia for two months.

proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Last edited:
Hello my friend!
Thank you but that was the quickest and shortest Shave Off I’ve done and with no photos it just feels blah to me looking back on it. Next Shave Off back to normal.

Yes there is a definite jump in efficiency which I prefer and the blade feel is slightly more but still smooth in my opinion. The GC is one hella of a bang for the buck razor.

Thanks for the short shave off Frank :a14:

@ShavingPanda My experience has been similar as the 84 has slight blade feel but is extremely smooth and reasonably efficient compared to the 68 The 68 is not nearly as efficient and the Mamba is so mild that I would need 4 passes to equal 1.5 pass of the 84. Although the Mamba is mild it is so much more pleasurable than the classic mild beginner razor, the EJ89.

Thanks guys! Your responses help me out gauge the difference. I feel like I'll have to consider a 0.84 GC. :)

Thanks guys! Your responses help me out gauge the difference. I feel like I'll have to consider a 0.84 GC. :)

Hello my friend. The Game Changer is one of those razors that is nice to have in your den. Yes there are razors that’s are more efficient, smoother etc. etc but for the cost of entry it’s a excellent shaving razor so you really can’t go wrong picking up one. Let us know if you get one what you think of it.

Hi my old friend. I’ve heard of the Mark Cross from my years of searching out vintage razors. I don’t know much about them and I certainly have never shaved with one but it sounds like you found another hidden treasure and for $20 that’s an awesome find!
When you get a chance take some photos of it and post it up S I’m sure others and myself would like to see it.

Also are you taking good care of my girl Claudette? Miss her every time she comes to mind. Still haven’t found one and I look quite regularly! I know her twin is out there’s somewhere but she’s being quite elusive!

As you recall i like the Mark Cross with an injector blade, but agree it's a great find. I have to admit I haven't used it as much as I used to since finding how good the Enders-Proline match is. The Mark Cross is superior under the nose but i otherwise prefer the shave and ergonomics of the Enders which im currently using exclusively while sojourning in SE Asia for two months.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Wow nice photos and yet again you come in with another razor that’s unknown to me but boy that looks like it had some inspiration in the Paradigm SE and I love the Proline blade. A couple of beauties in he bottom photo as well.

Hi my old friend. I’ve heard of the Mark Cross from my years of searching out vintage razors. I don’t know much about them and I certainly have never shaved with one but it sounds like you found another hidden treasure and for $20 that’s an awesome find!
When you get a chance take some photos of it and post it up S I’m sure others and myself would like to see it.

Also are you taking good care of my girl Claudette? Miss her every time she comes to mind. Still haven’t found one and I look quite regularly! I know her twin is out there’s somewhere but she’s being quite elusive!
See above for my photo for my two Mark Cross. I've written extensively about the history which a little googling of The Mark Cross Razor (1913) will turn up.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Updated list of razors in the Smoothest Shaver Shave Off. June 20th 2019

Hello Gentlemen here is the updated list of the razors in GREEN that are still on the list and in that list you will see the razors that have gone on to the next round. when all the razors in Category 2 have had their chance we will go to the next round where they all will start all over again in an attempt to continue to narrow it down until eventually there are only two razors going for the title. Also is the Eliminated List where each razor that has been eliminated from the Shave Off is marked in RED!

Suggestions:
So I'd really like it when I get some suggestions on which two razors you'd like me to use in the next Shave Off. Also remember you can't pick a razor that's made it to the next round which are marked in BOLD copy. Please pick from the razors that still are currently waiting for their chance to move on to the next round.

Thank you for all your help!

Category 2 - Contenders:

1.Gillette RFB - On to the next round
2. Gillette 1st Gen 15 OC Aristocrat
3. Gillette 2nd Gen SB Aristocrat
4. RR Gamechanger mild plate - On to the next round
5. Merkur 34C - On to the next round
6. Gillette President - On to the next round
7. Gillette 1934 Aristocrat
8. Paradigm 17 4 - On to the next round
9. Raw Shaving RS 10 Mild plate
10. Stahly - On to the next round
11. Karve D baseplate.
12. Paradigm Titanium 11
13. LASSC Wolfman BBS1 - may be joining the Shave Off.
14. Gillette F4 Toggle
15. Gibbs adjustable - On to the next round

Eliminated:

1. Gillette Slim
2. Mergress adjustable
3. Gillette New SC
4. Gillette New Deluxe Big Boy
5. Fatip Grande
6. Gillette Red Tip
7. Edwin Jagger DE89
8. Ikon New Deluxe
9. Gillette 1936 Aristocrat
10. Gillette 48/50 Aristocrat
11. Blackbird SB
12. Gillette Fatboy
13. Timeless SS with Ti .68 SB baseplate
14. Gillette Fat handled Tech
15. Razorock SLOC
16. Gillette 46/47 SOLD!
17. RR Mamba

Maybe consider an Aristrocrat showdown or have a real smoothness battle between the Paradigm and Raw Shaving but then we could loose a top shelf contender IMO as they are both excellent smooth tools.

Ok guys I like the idea of doing a Shave Off using the 1st Gen Aristocrat vs the RS 10 with the Aggressive plate as the next Shave Off.
Done!

Top Bottom