What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

UPDATE!!
Mildly Efficient Category

Hi all just posting up all the razors that are in the Mildly Efficient category once again for two reasons. One is that I made a mistake on the first list I posted which was brought to my attention by a member that I had listed the Wolfman SS .68 DC when it was supposed to be the Wolfman SS .61 DC. The new list is now corrected.

Also I thought I’d like to hear from the members on which 2 razors they’d like to see in the 1st Shave Off in this category. I know I’ve got my pick of which 2 I’d like to see go first but Let’s hear your picks. So what say you?

1. Timeless Bronze SB

2. Timeless SS .68 gap SB

3. Charcoal Goods Level 1 SS SB

4. Wolfman WR1 SS .61 DC

5. Gibbs on setting #2

Thanks all!!
Timeless shootout....Bronze VS SS.......I have both and I find significant difference between how each shaves. Not just different material of manufacture, but very different design.....would really like to hear your experience in a showdown of these two

1 VS 3-Battle of the Bronze.

That would be a good theme for the Shave Off but if you look close the Charcoal Goods Level 1 is the new SS version which actually shaves differently than the Brass version. Good idea though for sure. Thank you for your suggestion!

Timeless shootout....Bronze VS SS.......I have both and I find significant difference between how each shaves. Not just different material of manufacture, but very different design.....would really like to hear your experience in a showdown of these two

Thanks for the suggestion and i can let you know that it was one of the two most popular amongst our group as the 1st Shave Off and it happens to be mine as well. So thank you very much for your suggestion.

The Shave Off will happen some time today and the review will be written up and posted a little later on tonight due to my work schedule
Thanks again!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Shave Off will happen some time today and the review will be written up and posted a little later on tonight due to my work schedule.

There you go again, Frank, letting work get in the way of the Shave Off.

I have much the same problem.

The razors in the Shave Off are not ones I own or have used, with few exceptions, but the SO is still a fun and interesting read.

Happy shaves,

Jim

UPDATE!!
Mildly Efficient Category

Hi all just posting up all the razors that are in the Mildly Efficient category once again for two reasons. One is that I made a mistake on the first list I posted which was brought to my attention by a member that I had listed the Wolfman SS .68 DC when it was supposed to be the Wolfman SS .61 DC. The new list is now corrected.

Also I thought I’d like to hear from the members on which 2 razors they’d like to see in the 1st Shave Off in this category. I know I’ve got my pick of which 2 I’d like to see go first but Let’s hear your picks. So what say you?

1. Timeless Bronze SB

2. Timeless SS .68 gap SB

3. Charcoal Goods Level 1 SS SB

4. Wolfman WR1 SS .61 DC

5. Gibbs on setting #2

Thanks all!!

Should be a good match-up!! :a21:

have only used the two Timeless razors, but the Timeless SS is incredibly smooth and, for its mildness ,the most effeicient razor I have used. So I go with that one.

1st 3 piece razor Shave Off completed

Timeless.68 OC vs Timeless Bronze SB

In this 1st 3 piece razor Shave Off we choose to pit 2 Timeless razors against each other. The Timeless Bronze is from my own personal collection and I have both baseplates and using the SB baseplate it put the Bronze in the mildly efficient category for this Shave Off. The SS Timeless with the .68 OC is also in this category so a perfect match up. Timeless vs Timeless.

As you can see by the Photos the heads are completely different than each other with the Bronze having a lower profile. Also with the Bronze if you are like me and want to try to maintain the original look of the razor it requires more than average upkeep as it wants to patina and get darker and darker. I have to say I don’t pull it out often for that reason.

The fit and finish on the SS Timeless is very good and reflects quality the first time you see it and put it in your had and I’ve been a fan of this razor since it’s release. With the .68 baseplate on it was also put into the mildly efficient category. BTT a thanks goes out to member @Bonky for lending us his .68 OC baseplate to use in this Shave Off.

So let’s get to the software:
Eleven Lemon soap
Eleven Aftershave
Kai razor blade
Shave nation bowl
Thayer Beehive two band brush
4711 Cologne

I have to say that I’ve grown found of the Eleven brand of shave soaps and enjoy their straight forward simple scent and the more I use it the more I enjoy the performance as I’ve finally got the larger consistency where I like it. The Aftershave is very nice and is lightly moisturizing and not sticky at all which I really appreciate.

So on to the Shave;

I decided to do a 2 pass shave both WTG and ATG and see who can get me the closest of the two. Lather up the Eleven soap which by the way loads very easy and I got a nice thick
yogurt like lemony lather but I'll note the soap is a little thirsty which is no problem. You'll see from the photos where I used each razor on my face.

1st Pass WTG - I started with the Bronze on my more difficult right side and began going downward and to be honest it's been a while since I have shaved with a razor as mild as this razor and I noticed right away after the 3 stroke movement that there was a bit more stubble than I thought there should be and I could hear it as the razor passed over the area so I adjusted by skin stretching even more than normal which seemed to help but I definitely had to put more effort into it normal. The Bronze has a bit of blade feel to it but nowhere near what it has with the OC baseplate on it which I don't mind but thought for the review I'd make anyone who may be thinking of buying one aware of that. I finished the pass and picked up the Timeless SS .68 and proceeded down my neck. Immediately I felt the difference in these 2 and although both are smooth the blade feel on the .68 is less than the Bronze by a little bit but I also felt more efficiency from the .68 right away and I knew which razor was going to be the winner here right away but I thought I have to finish this shave. So nice pass from the .68 on my difficult right side of my neck. So staying with the .68 I moved over to my left side and began my trip downward from my sideburns doing my normal Skin stretch and I compared it to how I began on the right side with the Bronze before and again if I had even the slightest bit of doubt on which razor was more efficient this pass cleared those up right away! Another nice pass for the .68. Picked up the Bronze and I just automatically did a more aggressive Skin stretch using the Bronze and proceeded down my neck. It was at that time I thought of two things. 1. I knew who the winner was and really didn't need to go any further with this shave. 2. If I stop here my beard will grow out quicker and I can get on with another Shave Off and not have to wait as long as I normally do and I thought you members might appreciate that! So I made my decision to stop with just the one pass. I rinsed and felt my face and felt the uneven shave I just got from one pass with the sections where the Bronze had left more stubble than the .68 and I thought should I do maybe a light buffing on those sections so my beard grows out evenly for the next shave so with the lather left I grabbed some up in my hands which were still wet and quickly rubbed some on the two sections. Picked up the Bronze and not doing any skin stretching and just taking long no pressure strokes I went over the right side of my face and the left side of my neck and rinsed again and did a face feel and much better as now both sides pretty much felt the same. So with what I'd call a CCS result I went to work, came home, ate dinner watched the TV and went to bed. So when I got up this morning and felt my face and the amount of stubble and thought " Good move" on not doing another pass because by tonight I'll be able to get in another Shave Off with 2 other razors.

So based on my experience with these 2 razors with these 2 baseplates on them the Timeless SS .68 OC was the very clear winner of this Shave Off and will be moving on.

The Timeless Bronze will have another chance at winning a category when we get to the " Efficient Category " when I put the OC baseplate on it. I have much more experience with that plate and know this mild beauty becomes a whole different razor with that baseplate on it and I'm sure anyone who has one or used one knows that!

So I'm moving on and I'm thinking do I use another 2 completely new razors for the next Shave Off or do I keep the Timeless .68 in it to take on the next challenger? I was thinking either using the Gibbs on #2 or the Charcoal SS up against the Timeless .68 in the next round tonight.

So what do you guys think?

3099FB6B-40EB-45BA-B5CC-49C2298A3410.jpeg
81F3A0F1-0282-4538-A1FA-13EE638A7D77.jpeg
B2D05F4F-8AD9-4E35-A9F6-CD7ACD41DFAF.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice shave off. The Bronze SB is one I've been tempted to get since I have a little money saved up right now, but then I wouldn't be able to get the Rex. So I've been fighting off RAD. Looks like it got knocked out in this ring also!

Did I read correctly above about the .68 OC having less blade feel & smother than than the. 38 Bronze?

FWIW I vote for setting untested razors against each other as long as possible, rather than setting the winner of the first around against an untested razor, than the winner of round 2 against another untested razor, etc. , etc.

I hope I already wrote this, but worth repeating, thank you Dragonsbeard for all the work organizing, the time testing and than extensively writing up your results. This has been really interesting and helpful to me and I am sure to all the other readers of this thread. I look forward to the rest of the Shaveoff Showdown.

Top Bottom