What's new

The Walking Stick

Ad Astra

The Instigator
... or, "old-school Irish head-whacker."

The blackthorn knobs have *got* to hurt.

I mean, besides getting whacked with a really hard stick. By an angry Irish guy. Probably an old Irish guy - who needs a stick - made bitter by health problems and the gin'rl stupidity in the wirrld today.

Oops. :clover:

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Another thought - only if the bayonet lug idea doesn't work out - is to cut a slot in said walking stick for the insertion of a 5" circular-saw blade, which you can keep handy in your pocket til needed.

You may not always need a melee weapon, but it's nice to have options. Zombies, dogs, WWI trench fighting flashbacks, etc.

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Another thought - only if the bayonet lug idea doesn't work out - is to cut a slot in said walking stick for the insertion of a 5" circular-saw blade, which you can keep handy in your pocket til needed.

You may not always need a melee weapon, but it's nice to have options. Zombies, dogs, WWI trench fighting flashbacks, etc.

AA

My flashbacks are to an aluminum ball bat, which by the way is not the best choice. They bend, easily lol.

I only ever had to take on one dog. Hand to paw I'm good with a single large dog, but that one had me reaching for my CRKT. Two dogs is another story.

Zombies, I havent to deal with yet, but I do own a Ruger 10/22 for a reason! lol

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I know they aren't much on style, but trekking poles really are the way to go if you're trying to take stress off your joints. I was skeptical, at first, but I'm now sold on them.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I admit a pole works well for our local "wait-a-minute" thorn vines ... they are evil. Pull 'em out of the way before stepping through. You get oddly painless but really bloody scratches otherwise.

I also carry EMT shears to cut 'em.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The hickory stick arrived today. It seems to be a touch long but that can be easily remedied. Looks like it's a hefty piece of wood...should make for a good vicious dog whopper.

DSC_0005 (2).JPG

Beautiful stick, congrats! Yep hickory is solid stuff. I got this hickory walking stick from Brazos Walking Sticks a few years ago. It’s 53” long. I forget how much it weighs. It’s like swinging a length of lead pipe.

proxy.php

If you have to trim yours be careful. I trimmed a cane of mind a while back and I ended up taking a bit too much off. No fun.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Beautiful stick, congrats! Yep hickory is solid stuff. I got this hickory walking stick from Brazos Walking Sticks a few years ago. It’s 53” long. I forget how much it weighs. It’s like swinging a length of lead pipe.

proxy.php

If you have to trim yours be careful. I trimmed a cane of mind a while back and I ended up taking a bit too much off. No fun.

That is a very nice looking staff. I'm partial to the Koga hickory batons, but I'm prejudice.

It seems like about 5-6 inches from the bottom of the handle on mine is the balance point for one handed use as an impact weapon. The tag on my cane says "Handcrafted by Danial May." It is definitely a high quality piece...they make good stuff. The derby handle on it looks like it has enough curve to it to hook a leg or arm, but doesn't have too much curve to make it difficult to disengage if you need to.

Before I trim it I'm going to the drugstore and try an adjustable cane, then measure the length. I'll probably just try trimming an inch at a time. It's too nice of a stick to screw it up.

Going up to some property I have in N.E. Oklahoma in a coupe of days and Granddad's old stock prodding cane is there that he used to poke cattle in the butt with to move them around in the pens. I'll take a pic. of it when I'm up there. It's just the standard feed store cane.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
... or, "old-school Irish head-whacker."

The blackthorn knobs have *got* to hurt.

I mean, besides getting whacked with a really hard stick. By an angry Irish guy. Probably an old Irish guy - who needs a stick - made bitter by health problems and the gin'rl stupidity in the wirrld today.

Oops. :clover:

AA

HEY...I'm Irish. Come hither, young man. We are going to the bogs for a bit, and only one is coming back. :lol:

Ahhh...let's go get a beer instead. My treat.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
HEY...I'm Irish. Come hither, young man. We are going to the bogs for a bit, and only one is coming back. :lol:

Ahhh...let's go get a beer instead. My treat.

(Irish accent on)
Mike, me son. When I said, "oops," I realized mine own sef' was show'n. :a26:
(Irish accent off)

More than one of my advanced-age uncles seemed to have a blackthorn in the corner … before long I may join them, figuratively speaking. I hope!

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Here's Granddad's old cattle prodding cane. It's a bit worn on the handle, and it's pretty light so it's not very dense wood, but it works well for poking cows in the butt.

The grip has a bit too severe a curve in it, in my opinion, to use as a hook...I prefer my derby handle hickory one.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

I am not sure if I am looking for a stick or a "staff", but I will give you some background. I do a great deal of walking, mostly urban with light park trails. I was wondering if a decent walking stick would be beneficial to helping my aging body parts. Or maybe it would just look cool...

I am 65 and walk trail parks also. Fixed length Nordic walking poles made from light weight carbon fiber. They are ultralight and stiff. Most have a carbide ferrule to dig in to provide stability and a rubber boot to use on asphalt. A must for walking in the winter. I find that I can walk probably 25% longer than I could without them. One of the best purchase I have made and won't be without a pair in the future.

Last edited:
I am 65 and walk trail parks also. Fixed length Nordic walking poles made from light weight carbon fiber. They are ultralight and stiff. Most have a tungsten steel ferrule to dig in to provide stability and a rubber boot to use on asphalt. A must for walking in the winter. I find that I can walk probably 25% longer than I could without them. One of the best purchase I have made and won't be without a pair in the future.

Thanks!

And thanks everyone.

I do not own one but I like the look. A traditional blackthorn can be found on a popular auction site. But you will need find one that is visually appealing, and check the length and thickness.
Cold Steel sells a polymer replica that is reportedly indestructible for about $50.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk
I got one and they are tough!

Arrrgh. All this talk of walking sticks has made me want to upgrade.
I'ma gonna get me one of these:
proxy.php

Mine would be the solid brass, black-painted wood version. They have a choice of sizes from 28" to 36 ", in half-inch increments.
Ostensibly it is patterned after Bat Masterson's stick.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Arrrgh. All this talk of walking sticks has made me want to upgrade.
I'ma gonna get me one of these:
proxy.php

Mine would be the solid brass, black-painted wood version. They have a choice of sizes from 28" to 36 ", in half-inch increments.
Ostensibly it is patterned after Bat Masterson's stick.

Well ain't that a little dandy!

If it wasn't for the smaller handle, that would probably dig into my hand if I had to use it as support, that looks like just the classy stick. I like it.

Upgrade you say? What do you have now?

I'm back up by family now...I'll see what youngest son, that has done the Appalachian Trail, has to say. I've never used a staff on a trail so don't know how much support it would give, but I would think a cane would draw less attention in a more urban setting. Dunno. Depends on what you are looking for I guess.

54494066-31E0-4ABB-A107-16CF544CCFA9.jpeg

As is typical up here in Appalachia, we are pretty basic. A good staff is just about mandatory when hiking the trails up through the mountains or along the Ocoee River.
Left-my stick, local sourwood.
Right-wife’s stick, mysterious wood, mysterious origin, just right for a mysterious woman.

If it wasn't for the smaller handle, that would probably dig into my hand if I had to use it as support, that looks like just the classy stick. I like it.
When I inquired, they said that the widest diameter of the handle is two inches. That's 1/4 inch wider than an appliance light bulb, but flatter.
Upgrade you say? What do you have now?
My current stick is very similar to this one...
proxy.php

... except it has some circles turned into the handle, and sections of the stick are turned with rings somewhat like the "bamboo" razor handles. It's okay, but the stain job is not that convincing.

Top Bottom