What's new

The Vector is Blacklands best razor.

I bought a Vector about two years ago and used it intermittently - definitely my favorite Feather-SE-sized shaver, but generally, I prefer O/C shavers. This week I received an O/C baseplate, and I have used it 3 times - I am really enjoying it and getting nice close shaves. For me it could be a grail, but I like trying new stuff too much!

I bought a Vector about two years ago and used it intermittently - definitely my favorite Feather-SE-sized shaver, but generally, I prefer O/C shavers. This week I received an O/C baseplate, and I have used it 3 times - I am really enjoying it and getting nice close shaves. For me it could be a grail, but I like trying new stuff too much!
I hear what you are saying. I too prefer OCs in general. IDK exactly why. Maybe because my first DE razor was an OC design (R41).

With Vector though, I am not sure yet, still testing mine I guess. Both plates gave me excellent shaves. Can't really say that OC is significantly more aggressive or that I prefer it over SB. Both are excellent and to me both plates give a close shave.

That picture makes me want to get into Vintage collecting. So so cool! I have 4 high end modern razors and I was never interested in the vintage. Now I may need to start paying attention. Thank you for that! My wife would probably slap your face, but we won’t tell her. !

I shaved this morning with a Vector after receiving it in the mail yesterday afternoon. It is easily the best shave I've gotten from a Blackland razor, which makes it shave better than almost every other razor I've used for that matter. The Dart got a nanometer closer - and likely the Blackbird, too, but I used that too long ago to truly trust memory - but the Dart was also less smooth for me. The Vector with the SB plate hits that sweet spot. It basically shaved like what everyone else told me the Dart was supposed to feel like.

The funny thing is I went to bed last night thinking "How different can an SE shave be?" After this morning that wasn't even a question. Smooth, nimble and close - I know Shane says they may come up with something better, but frankly I can see how. This could shape up to be my dessert island razor.

I shaved this morning with a Vector after receiving it in the mail yesterday afternoon. It is easily the best shave I've gotten from a Blackland razor, which makes it shave better than almost every other razor I've used for that matter. The Dart got a nanometer closer - and likely the Blackbird, too, but I used that too long ago to truly trust memory - but the Dart was also less smooth for me. The Vector with the SB plate hits that sweet spot. It basically shaved like what everyone else told me the Dart was supposed to feel like.

The funny thing is I went to bed last night thinking "How different can an SE shave be?" After this morning that wasn't even a question. Smooth, nimble and close - I know Shane says they may come up with something better, but frankly I can see how. This could shape up to be my dessert island razor.
I love my Vector SB. Used it today after eight straight days of DE shaves and it was just spectacular: smooth, incredibly close, and easy.
If you’re ready for another awesome SE shave...try the Blackland Sabre. It’s different (blade format/angle/size) but a remarkably smooth shaver.
I’m probably selling my DE razors now that I have found the Vector and Sabre (and they are really good razors) they just don’t match the shaves I get from the Vector/Sabre.

I just received the Sabre, and between the two of them the other razors are sitting idle. I don't know if I'd go as far as @GNR, but if it is like this 6 months from now, who knows? Several months after getting a brass Karve in 2018, I sold most of my DEs. It could happen again!
I’m trying not to be hasty. I’ll keep my DE razors in rotation for a month or two but I’m really learning towards the Vector/Sabre combo as my perfect duo. (Which, obviously means if I sell my DE razors, I’ll have to try some vintage GEMs and another AC razor.) I’m fickle, I have no idea how my wife puts up with me.

I've read a lot about the Vector, but it was this thread that helped me finally decide to order one tonight--machined finish with the safety bar plate. I appreciate everyone's comments! Looking forward to sharing my own experience with it.
Congrats!

You should get both plates! Seriously.

To me OC was the true revelation. SB is fine, but OC is what made it out-of-this-world experience.

That said, I think it largely depends on the shaving technique. I go shallow and I blade-buff a lot. For that OC is unrivaled, as it allows the lather to penetrate deeper. Therefore, the skin is always kept well lubricated.

Let us know once you get it!!

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
The Vector is a fantastic razor. The design is very unique and it just works. The slim head, stiff AC blade and perfect balance make for a great shave. Probably the only razor that I’m able to get a true BBS shave with. Blades are expensive but it’s a great shave. A TI version would be interesting for sure.

View attachment 1225506
Over a blade's life - probably less expensive than DE blades. I get 5-10 days out of Kai Captain Titan Mild blades.

I also ordered a machined Vector with the OC plate yesterday, it will be my first venture into SE land. I tend to favor OC DE razors, but wasn't sure how much that would translate over to the SE world, or whether I should start with the SB to flatten the learning curve. I reached out to Shane and he recommended just skipping the SB and going for the OC since I'm already comfortable with OC designs. He said the blade choice has much more impact on the shave characteristic than the plate does.

I ordered a handful each of Proline, Protouch MG, and Captain Titan Mild blades from Try A Blade as well. I figure I will start with the Protouch and then give the unguarded blades a try after getting more acquainted with the razor.

Any other advice for a new SE shaver?

first blade I recommend is Kai Captain Titan mild. If you decide to move on to another blade good luck!

Thanks for the recommendation. I tried searching for a thread that ranks/compares the various AC blades but couldn't find one. I based my selection off what I read most people tend to favor in the Vector. Is there a thread that talks more about the various AC blades in comparison to one another?

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Thanks for the recommendation. I tried searching for a thread that ranks/compares the various AC blades but couldn't find one. I based my selection off what I read most people tend to favor in the Vector. Is there a thread that talks more about the various AC blades in comparison to one another?
In my limited experience with AC blades, they are, imho, more aggressive than non AC blades.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I really want a Vector but unfort the price is punching at a level I can't reach. Hopefully in the future Blackland can sell returns or something. Wonderful looking razor and the reviews are lust worthy.

Congrats!

You should get both plates! Seriously.

To me OC was the true revelation. SB is fine, but OC is what made it out-of-this-world experience.

That said, I think it largely depends on the shaving technique. I go shallow and I blade-buff a lot. For that OC is unrivaled, as it allows the lather to penetrate deeper. Therefore, the skin is always kept well lubricated.

Let us know once you get it!!
I can't tell you how many times I almost ordered the OC! My limited experiences with open combs left my hesitant and prone to analysis paralysis. I had a Maggard Razors V2 open comb I liked, but then went vintage Gillette and sold it. Never got along well with short comb NEW or the Old Types. Fatip Piccolo and Grande quickly moved on to better homes. The brass CB Karve became my daily razor for almost 2 years, but the open comb was too "toothy," and the edges felt sharp. But, I recently received a Yates 921, with the hybrid plate, and it is fantastic feeling to my oh so delicate mug!
I know this is asking a lot, but do you (or anyone reading this!) have any thoughts given what I wrote above? I think the Vector is awesome. It and the Sabre could easily be my only razors. Thanks for any comments!

I also ordered a machined Vector with the OC plate yesterday, it will be my first venture into SE land. I tend to favor OC DE razors, but wasn't sure how much that would translate over to the SE world, or whether I should start with the SB to flatten the learning curve. I reached out to Shane and he recommended just skipping the SB and going for the OC since I'm already comfortable with OC designs. He said the blade choice has much more impact on the shave characteristic than the plate does.

I ordered a handful each of Proline, Protouch MG, and Captain Titan Mild blades from Try A Blade as well. I figure I will start with the Protouch and then give the unguarded blades a try after getting more acquainted with the razor.

Any other advice for a new SE shaver?

I am also new to SE, only about 5 months in. One thing I did find out, as much as I like Try A Blade, several of the blades seemed dulled. My guess is that they can move around too much in the paperboard sleeve they were shipped in. A friend lent me his Vector and some Prolines in the dispenser. Great shaves. But the Proline in the Try A Blade packet was tuggy and harsh, as was the Kai Capt. Mild Protouch MG. I had ordered Protouch and Proline blades in a dispenser, and both are head and shoulders above the ones from Try A Blade. The dulling hypothesis was mentioned on another forum, I think, were someone else was commenting on all the blades being too harsh or tugging too much.

Bottom line: you may want to order a dispenser of the blades you are most interested in. you can always offer them on the BST if not for you!

Good luck! I look forward to reading how it goes with the OC Vector!

I am also new to SE, only about 5 months in. One thing I did find out, as much as I like Try A Blade, several of the blades seemed dulled. My guess is that they can move around too much in the paperboard sleeve they were shipped in. A friend lent me his Vector and some Prolines in the dispenser. Great shaves. But the Proline in the Try A Blade packet was tuggy and harsh, as was the Kai Capt. Mild Protouch MG. I had ordered Protouch and Proline blades in a dispenser, and both are head and shoulders above the ones from Try A Blade. The dulling hypothesis was mentioned on another forum, I think, were someone else was commenting on all the blades being too harsh or tugging too much.

Bottom line: you may want to order a dispenser of the blades you are most interested in. you can always offer them on the BST if not for you!

Good luck! I look forward to reading how it goes with the OC Vector!

Thanks. I did read this and that's why I ordered 5 quantity of the ones I got from Try A Blade. Hopefully at least one of each kind makes it without too much wear and tear. What has been you favorite blade so far?

Thanks. I did read this and that's why I ordered 5 quantity of the ones I got from Try A Blade. Hopefully at least one of each kind makes it without too much wear and tear. What has been you favorite blade so far?
Got it, good thinking! I should have been so smart... 🤪

Top Bottom