What's new

The traveler that didn't get very far

At this point, I only suffer from one remaining type of RAD -- great vintage find in the wild RAD. No finds for me yet. Most antique shops I've been to that have razors only have ordinary stuff at ebay or greater prices. Today's shop had some nice enough ones, but nothing unusual and no bargains, unless one feels like haggling. I was a sucker for this one, though, common as it is, as it came with a story. The dealer himself bought it new when he was stationed at the US army base in Schweinfurt, Germany, and never used it. Apparently, the soldiers had to present a shiny, clean razor for inspection, and this was the easiest way to do that. It has slight evidence of having been loaded with a blade, but it's easy to believe that it was never shaved with. I will swap out the handle and give it a try.
20180407_173057.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice little razor, I have one similar and have not used it yet. Great find.

Great find.
You're very nice to say "great find", though no doubt you can get the same thing on ebay right now at a very reasonable price. I did think people would like the story behind it, which you can seldom get with such things.

I have a 1962 H2 Travel Tech and actually like the short handle on occasion. I also have a Bakelite handle (from a war era triangle slot Tech that would not clean up) that I keep in my travel kit when the short handle gets to be too short while on longer trips. The short handle really proved worthy on a cross country train trip. Even with the bumps and vibration I stayed weeper free probably due to the precise control and short strokes necessitated by the short handle. Enjoy your find.

I have a 1962 H2 Travel Tech and actually like the short handle on occasion. I also have a Bakelite handle (from a war era triangle slot Tech that would not clean up) that I keep in my travel kit when the short handle gets to be too short while on longer trips. The short handle really proved worthy on a cross country train trip. Even with the bumps and vibration I stayed weeper free probably due to the precise control and short strokes necessitated by the short handle. Enjoy your find.
I'd love to do a cross-country train trip. NYC to Chicago and back when I was a kid was my longest one. But I never considered the challenge of shaving in a moving train, so thanks for a tip I didn't even realize I needed.

You're very nice to say "great find", though no doubt you can get the same thing on ebay right now at a very reasonable price. I did think people would like the story behind it, which you can seldom get with such things.

it is in mint condition so that is a great plus

The cases don't seem to fare very well, but it looks like you have a very nice one. Having the provenance story behind it direct from the original owner just makes it all that better.

it is in mint condition so that is a great plus
It looks like it was loaded with a bade, assembled, and left that way for a long time without getting wet or being used, consistent with its history as related by the dealer. Interesting that he saved the case and at some point put it back in. A collector, like everyone here.

Top Bottom