What's new

The Takeoff

Hello everyone, just wanted to greet and introduce myself
I recently got bit by the Wet-shaving bug after stumbling over Mantic's great videos on Youtube
I was impressed and awed by how skillful, manly, and nostalgic wet-shaving is and I began reading and lurking through B&B
A month or so later I've been shaving with a DE (Merkur 23C) and will be buying a soap and a brush of higher quality (I have pretty satisfactory Van Der Hagen starter kit at the moment)
I finally got around to registering so I expect to learn much and post often from this point forward

See you fellas around

Forgive my "noobness," I almost forgot to bring up something that's been annoying me since my first wet-shave. After every shave, my lips tend to get really dry for a few hours and days afterwars. First off, let me say that I'm not foolish enough to shave the outer part of my lips, but it seems odd that after every shave I need lip balm to avoid having to constantly lick my dry lips. Has anyone experienced this? Could it be the soap that I'm using causes my lips to get dry? Or am I shaving too close to my lips?

Thanks ahead of time

Welcome!

I don't have dry lips after I shave. During lathering I curl my lips in so I don't get much lather on them, and afterwards I rinse first with warm then with cold water (maybe 2-3 splashes of warm followed by 4-5 splashes cold weaved into my post shave). Hope someone has experience and can help you out further.

Welcome and enjoy your new found daily shaves. About the dry lips .. apply the old spice to the face mate ...dont drink it :laugh:

Welcome!!

Dry lips huh?

Not sure what could cause that - but I am guessing it has something to do with your lather. Are you getting any on your lips? Or perhaps try a different soap but I use VDH soaps myself and have not had any issues with them. But everyones skin is different and perhaps your lips are sensitive to VDH.

Thanks for the responses everyone

@HokieGeek and btuer
Yeah, my gut instinct tells me that IT IS the lather
Although I don't get much of it on my lips, given that I curl my lips in when I'm lathering up
I shave about once a week

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I would suggest an Aftershave that's a bit more moisturizing...

Welcome to B&B!

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit.

"He who is not fit for the this day will be less so tomorrow."

Learnt that one in Latin class....:tongue_sm

My personal fav: "Audaces fortuna iuvat, sed favent promotione gutless tabulas."

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, I appreciate it
I will look into the dry lips conundrum and report back

@Eric
As you can probably tell, I am an admirer of ancient Rome
That particular phrase basically means that those who are not prepared today, will never be prepared, its sort of a motto of mine

Top Bottom