What's new

The Strop-Off

Just for grins, I wanted to compare strops with some of you guys... I happen to be a strop snob (read as: Strop Hoarder) and have a large and still growing collection (In no particular order):

SRD Modular Paddle with Premium I, Premium IV, Rough leather, a raw Felt pad, and a .5micron Diamond Felt Pad (generally used for travel)

A vintage Loom Strop that's about 1.5 inches wide and 15 inches (For travel when space is at a premium)

A Tony Miller Horsehide with Nylon backing (My go to finisher, and a heavy-hitter in my regular rotation)

Tony Miller Latigo with Linen backing (this one sees the least use, which is still a few times a week! The latigo has a bit too much draw for me.

SRD Premium IV in extra long with Poly-Web fabric (I love this one... The English Bridle leather is fantastic.)

a 2.4" Kangaroo skin strop. Just the leather, 'Roo is fantastic!

-----------------

Currently in the works/in the mail:

1 Classico Spanish Horsehide strop from Ambrose

1 custom Wide Kangaroo Strop from an Aussie friend

Planning a strop from Ian (Screaming Pig) Once my funds are in order.

Hopefully getting one of Jose (Ambrose)'s Cordovans soon.

----------------

I also have my eyes on a Kanayama, one of Mastro Livi's looms, A few more SRD strops, Some stuff from Ken Rup, and a dash of Neil Miller's strops to finish off the collection.

Odd, I'm fairly minimalistic with razors (only 8) and I'm going to be culling my brush herd soon... But strops... I just can't stop with 'em! I need to get some nice vintage ones.

So, What do you guys have to slap steel against?

Cheers,
Jeremy

TM Latigo & genuine linen

Kanayama Supecial Quality (note the "u") in Supecial, this is a Kanayama strop with leather handles.

Cr2O3 pasted loomstrop

Cuir Velvain, Maison Kindal paddle strop for travel.

Old Dog- Handamerican Chicago Special

Illinois 857

Medal of Award (1915) #817 shell strop tanned in Scotland made in USA

Two homemade vegetable tanned leather

2.5" RupRazor Paladin Horsehide, cotton
3" Homemade Veg-Tanned Cowhide, cotton
2.5" Ambrose Cordovan "Classico", cotton

Last edited:
In order of most use:

Vintage Sunasack 2.5" horsehide shell
Hand American Bridle leather 2.75"
Ambrose Cordovan 2.5"
TM Starter strop latigo 2.5"

I have:

A Kenrup Filly Strop.

A SRD Premium IV with normal length.

A Kanayama 50000

A Custom HandAmerican Keith De'Grau Signature Strop. The front is horse butt strip "Cordovan" and the back is diamond embossed bovine bridle leather.

The ones I've kept are a special built Tony Miller horsehide with a vintage silk cotton component, a TM 4 sided paddle and a Kanoyama 30000.

My first - and right now only - strop is this one , which is an unbranded barbers strop I bought from a local warehouse .

There are pictures of it in this post here.

It still hasn't been touched by a razor. I'm wondering: should I hit it up with some sort of leather dressing before using it? It is rather stiff. I have to watch some you-tube vids of how the hell to strop, before I wreck either the strop or the straight.

TM 2.5" Latigo & Linen
Illinois 827 Russian
Illinois 127 Horsehide
TM Travel Strop

I use the TM Latigo 80-90% of the time followed by the 127 horsehide. Eventually I'd like a TM horse & cotton if I can find one.

TM 2.5" Latigo & Linen
Illinois 827 Russian
Illinois 127 Horsehide
TM Travel Strop

I use the TM Latigo 80-90% of the time followed by the 127 horsehide. Eventually I'd like a TM horse & cotton if I can find one.

Man, a couple days ago there was a TM horsehide and also a latigo on SRP for sale. I almost pulled the trigger, but am getting along just fine with my Ambroski strop (soon to be strops :biggrin1:).

Man, a couple days ago there was a TM horsehide and also a latigo on SRP for sale. I almost pulled the trigger, but am getting along just fine with my Ambroski strop (soon to be strops :biggrin1:).

I don't know how I missed that. Must be age catching up with me...

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Just 2 Tony Miller Strops here in the house...
3" Latigo/Linen & 4 sided Paddle

I'd really like one of practically every one previously mentioned but have refrained at this point.

Top of the Wishlist has been for some time, a Miller Horsehide... Maybe someday...

My friend, the fact that you shelled out the bucks for a top of the line strop shows that SAD is in you indeed!:thumbup1:

Very true, but mostly I meant that I don't have any desire to own more than one strop. I had an older strop, sold it, bought a TM, sold it, bought the Kanayama!
I think acquisition disorders kick in when you look at your brushes (or other shave gear), and you think, "Sure, I've got enough, but one or two more couldn't hurt..." :lol:

Top Bottom