What's new

The Straight-Eight Shavette Pass.

ladykate:
ebay has a good amount of weck's but I want the specific Sextoblade, non stainless handle... and I want it in a price range that ebay isn't currently offering. one is close but i'm waiting for another listing.
And FWIW, I hit 7 antique shops today..some are huge..and no Weck razors of any type.

Well... as TheVez2 pointed out in his other thread on this, there are lots of varieties of these and I'm not the expert at all. I have no idea what the difference is between an A or a B or any other. If you are looking for a specific one, then you might have to be patient. However, I bought the following one for 1.50 on eBay and it isn't a stainless handle. See item 200864585370 on eBay. 1.50 plus shipping. (already sold so not linking an active auction). If I understand these things, the guard comes off and you have the razor. If the guard doesn't come off, I get to modify it. Win-win. ;-} The following auction was also reasonably priced (again, it is not active): 251199723265 - I fully expect nothing and hope for a nice serviceable razor. But I'm only out a few bucks in any case. I wanted one that was a little crummy so I could put a custom handle on it.

There have been several nice ones (almost NOS) for $25-$35 but I think the cheaper ones could be cleaned up, too.

Also, I was at Second Chances (1116 Jackson - Omaha) and they had a tray of Durhams and Wecks but they were trash (I referenced this in my previous post). Those stores have usually been picked clean - too darn many straight shaver people in Omaha. I was in five stores yesterday and only found one broken straight - though I did find a hot lather machine for a nice price. I've also seen Wecks at the Brass Armadillo but that was when I wasn't looking for them. ;-} Last Summer a woman sold her husband's barber shop through the Brass Armadillo. She was very proud of the prices so I only got one or two items. However, there were hundreds of items of all flavors in the display cases for a week or two (three display cases of stuff that she kept replenishing).

I was BSing with an owner on Sunday while I was shopping and he said they get a lot of young teenagers in looking for straights. That wasn't exactly a comforting thought.

Last edited:
Ladykate, can I ask what antique store you saw them at? I've been to all the antique stores in Bellevue. I bought a couple of my first straight razors at one of them.

I've not found a single razor in the Bellevue stores (Bellevue, NE). There was one guy a year to two ago that sold out his store and he had a bunch of really nice DEs that he sold on eBay (which is where I found them of all things).

The downtown Omaha stores and the Brass Monkey are the ones that I haunt. I've found several 'deals' at those places. Also, since you are from Knob Noster, there are a half dozen Antique Malls on 29 coming up our way. I'm sure you've gotten into them, though. I haven't tried Walnut City (In Iowa on I-80 at mile 47 or so) for razors - that is a whole town dedicated to antiques but every time I've gone by there, I've felt it was more of a tourist trap. The wife and I went down towards KC several months ago and I found a couple of good examples although nothing spectacular.

I used to drive up I-29 quite a bit for business, and yeah, I think I've hit all the antique stores at one point or another. And Walnut City is amazing. Found a few very nice pieces there.

OK.. Darted over to the Brass Armadillo and it was also getting slim on inventory. Must be the season. Anyway, found this in the second case I asked to see. It is a Weck 'Trade Sample Not for Sale' in fairly good shape. $10. So there... :001_tt2::

$wecktsnfs.jpg

However, I bought the following one for 1.50 on eBay and it isn't a stainless handle. See item 200864585370 on eBay. 1.50 plus shipping. (already sold so not linking an active auction).

that's a good deal, even for a hair shaper. I'm looking for a sextoblade though, which is heavier and closer weight to a straight. I think they go for a little more.

OK.. Darted over to the Brass Armadillo and it was also getting slim on inventory. Must be the season. Anyway, found this in the second case I asked to see. It is a Weck 'Trade Sample Not for Sale' in fairly good shape. $10. So there... :001_tt2::

View attachment 293965
Did you buy that one? It's pretty much the same as the one in the pass. The safety guard comes right off. Although the one on that model can still be used while shaving. I have shaved with them with and without the guard.

Did you buy that one? It's pretty much the same as the one in the pass. The safety guard comes right off. Although the one on that model can still be used while shaving. I have shaved with them with and without the guard.

Well... shoot - yes I did. Wouldn't have but wanted to show folks they are available in antique stores. Then saw it wasn't too bad a price and decided to buy it after the sales lady got it out and laid it on the case for me to snap the picture. Everyone was listening to me explain what I was doing... good sales technique ;-}

Take me off the list - don't need to slow folks up in getting the passaround.

FWIW, I'm talking them up on another forum (not a shave forum) and at least one other person is buying one. I'm on shave 6 with the same blade. Stropped it at shave 4. Stropping works but I also like a nice sharp blade. I'm pretty pumped about these things.

that's a good deal, even for a hair shaper. I'm looking for a sextoblade though, which is heavier and closer weight to a straight. I think they go for a little more.

That is what I've seen, too. However, the stainless hospital/military version seems hefty - though it is slightly handle heavy it isn't bad at all. As I mentioned earlier, the TI stainless handle seems worse. I'll scrounge around for a SextoBlade. So far, I've only got a small amount in this - heck, less than for a couple of Techs. This is the cheapest RAD ever.

geez stop talking it up till I get mine off the Bay :)

Ha! OK. I'll shut up. I have a feeling these things are plentiful, though. TheVez2 pointed that out earlier... seems there is a nice entry tool for straights that won't carve you up or break your budget.

Last edited:
Keeping the thread going -

Anyone use the mini-blades? Are they the same as the regulars only shorter? I like a short blade for my neck which requires me to do a Cirque de Soleil kinda move. Shorter blades (like Feathers or Kamisoris) seem to work nicely. I often resort to using the DE to touch up if I'm using a long blade.

That is what I've seen, too. However, the stainless hospital/military version seems hefty - though it is slightly handle heavy it isn't bad at all..

I have the medical version (pictured earlier in this thread). The weight doesn't bother me. It is a bit heavier than some of my straights, but it doesn't adversely affect my shaving.

Anyone use the mini-blades? .
Are you talking about the tiny blades that fit the Weck Corn Razor? They are smaller than an SE blade.

top row is SE blade and vintage Weck.
Bottom row is vintage Weck corn blade and modern Personna blade.
proxy.php

I like the look of this kind of razor. I'll keep an eye open on the bay, as up till now i've only seen Fromm models and some cheap chinese model (which might be good or terrible, no idea!).

The Weck has landed! Duderdo in Canada finally received the Weck. Looking forward to his review.

Ok... just to add something to the mix. I took that 1.50 hair shaper I mentioned last week and put on a handle to make it a non-folder. As was said, the straight hair shapers are light-weight but the holders are still good so I figured adding a solid handle might be nice. Will use it tomorrow. It feels pretty good but haven't shaved with it as yet.

$hairshaperKami.jpg

Last edited:
This is a Pearl Duck Dubl Duck hair shaper converted to a fixed handled shaver. Works great. I didn't like the other handle that I made so I modified it quite a bit. Then decided to start over with this one. Much nicer handle.

View attachment 296456

Last edited:
My Weck, Style AA, arrived today. I have no blades, but I have questions.
Do you use it with, or with out, the guard? It appears that if I put the guard on then the bottm of it will stick out, away from the blade.
Don't know if the photo is any help...
Bil
$Weck.jpg

Top Bottom