What's new

The Straight-Eight Shavette Pass.

Otto, that Weck pass is what got me interested in them in the first place. As you can see, I have acquired many more Wecks, since then.

proxy.php

Otto, that Weck pass is what got me interested in them in the first place. As you can see, I have acquired many more Wecks, since then.

proxy.php

W.A.D. !!!
That's quite a collection, are some of the scales hand made? Looking at the blue and the transparent acrylic at the top right.
Also..what's the tiny one for?

Edit: One more question..is there much difference in the weight & feel of the aluminum scaled versions compared to the plastic?

Top row: 3 sextoblades (first is a Trade Sample), Weck Bantam, Weck Hair Shaper.
All original scales.

The bottom row are all stainless steel scales, not aluminum. The plastic ones have the weight and feel of a true straight. The steel ones are heavier and the balance doesn't quite feel right.

Bottom: Medical Sextoblade, Bantam, Hair Shaper, Corn Razor, Weck Medical SE razor.
The tiny one in the middle is actually a brooch. But it opens/closes and the guard comes off.

Thanks for all the answers, the questions just kept piling up the longer I looked. I'm guessing a hairdresser might wear a Weck brooch? Pretty cool, I've never seen anything like that.

Oh good, all is right with the world now. I did find some feather hair shaper blades, but they appear to have a serrated edge: good for cutting hair, not for shaving!

Looks like this is probably it for sign ups, expect PMs tomorrow guys!

Ok, looks like we've got our eight! Everyone who showed interest is in. Once I get everyone's address, I'll put you all in order from east to west. That will keep shipping delays at a minimum in between everyone.

Still waiting on a couple of addresses, but it looks like the pass order will be as follows:

1. duderdo
2. Kentos
3. TnutsShave
4. ladykate
5. jrward2
6. sychodelix
7. tomjr
8. Alum of Potash

KJ, I was interested, but instead of volunteering for the pass, I found and bought a Weck on eBay. It is pretty cool...all metal blade arm and scales. I like it. Now I need to find some shaper blades. I'll be glad to post results as you get results from pass participants.

Very cool. I buy my blades at Sally Beauty. They stock Personna and Fromm. Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

Just dropping in for a little conversation. I've only been DE shaving since July and now have a Weck and Parker for straight shaving. My great grandmother was a stylist so she used the Weck Hair Shaper for shaping and not facial shaving. I've used the Parker twice now total and I'm catching on quickly.

I just want to make sure the Hair Shaper is fine to use on my face like your other Wecks before I order some blades for it. I'm in a similar situation as cstevens where I'd be exited to share my newbie experiences with comparing the Parker and Weck from time to time. Should be fun

Chris, that's a nice medical Sextoblade you've got there. The scales are a bit heavy, being stainless steel. So you may have to adjust how you hold it.

Hentzikov, the Weck hair shaper is the same as the Sextoblade, just a bit shorter. I have a few of them in my picture at the top of this page. They work perfectly well for shaving, but the shorter blade arm just makes it a bit trickier to hold.

My stainless Weck had a little slide to eject the blade - kinda cool. Do they all have that or is it just on later models?

Ok, I decided to shave this evening to try out the Weck & Personna blades.

About me:
I've been wet shaving with DE razors for a while now. I've never shaved with a straight. I tried a cheap (shaving factory) shavette once. I didn't even finish the shave as the DE cut me pretty handily under the nose. When I read KJ's original post, I was sufficiently intrigued so I found a Weck and bought it. It is the medical Weck pictured above.

First shave:
I installed a Personna shaper blade and noticed an immediate difference (and improvement) from my experience with the 1/2 DE shaver. KJ is correct, the shaper blades are stiffer and a bit less sharp. This allowed me to feel in control of the razor and I was certainly more comfortable shaving with it. For a first attempt, it went pretty well: the shave was relatively close, only three small weepers and a bit of razor burn just above my jaw lines. I definitely attribute these problems to my awkward use of the razor as a complete novice. To be frank, I was surprised it went as well as it did. I'm looking forward to getting used to it and improving my technique. It will make a nice addition to my rotation.

The pass has begun! I stepped a little outside my initial CONUS requirement. As such it is on its way to duderdo in Canada. I could not get delivery confirmation, but the customs number is LC192967299US. I was told it could still be tracked with that number.

Top Bottom