What's new

The Sprout 2018

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yes, excellent producer. It was the last plant I pulled earlier today. I plan on growing it in the fall. They put out small fire engine red colored fruit great for salads. Some were large like a golf ball and others were more cherry sized.

That is quite small even as a golf ball size.
Planting in the ground vs bucket will do that.
The Russian Red is cool weather tolerant so may produce well for you in the fall.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That is quite small even as a golf ball size.
Planting in the ground vs bucket will do that.
The Russian Red is cool weather tolerant so may produce well for you in the fall.
That's what I'm thinking. Maybe it will like the cooler temps and produce larger fruit.

Dave, the Amish paste are terrific. It was actually one of the last producing until I pulled everything. It's not the first to produce but has a steady output all the way. We used them in sauce and salsa. Meaty, very little seed and not too juicy. They will be a default regular in the garden for sure. Thanks for the recommendation.

I liked to see how your dwarfs are fairing.

Glad to hear they worked out well for you, the only variety my sister requests as starts for her garden.

The dwarf plants are doing great, big and robust, giant leaves. Put five in 5 gallon fabric pots and one in a 12" terra cotta. Same soil mix and care for all of them but the terra cotta plant is lagging behind the fabric potted, my guess is the terra cotta doesn't have near as much soil. Not a lot of tomatoes set yet but now lots of flowers at the tops of the plants and some and a few of the varieties are 90 plus days so not concerned yet about a lack of fruit set.

Gave my parents and a friend some of the dwarf plants as well but haven't heard anything back yet. Also have a half dozen mostly dwarfs i started for the guy who does the gardener across the street. Saw him at the end of May to give him the plants but he said he couldn't get to planting until after Buddha's birthday that weekend (Buddhist Hermtage across the street) so i kept the plants to keep them ready for planting. Haven't seen him since and the plants are still in the 3" square pots the Purple Rosella ripening a single tomato so i'll get a picture of that forlorn plant.

I'll try to get some pictures taken of the goo stuff tomorrow.
dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Fourth variety of tomato ready to start giving up ripe ones. This is a Totem Hybrid, last of the three patio tomatoes in pots, maybe twice the size of the Siderno which we've had 15 tomatoes from so far. Hard to tell how long any these ones will go on producing. Siderno's are a crack under 1 oz., 25g.
dave

Gorgeous looking plant/fruit Dave!

Yep, those are purdy Dave. I'm done until Fall.

Aaron, did you pull all your tomatoes, even the determinates? I'm on the fence wether I should keep or pull mine...We had a respite from the heat a week or so ago, it was like a switch flipped and my tomatoes put out a lot of flowers. But now that we're back into the 100's I think production may stop again. Do you find that its not worth keeping the determinates going through summer/into fall even if the plants are still healthy? My understanding is they will produce again when the temps cool down. Interested in your regime as you have way more experience than me and we share a similar climate. Appreciate you thoughts!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Gorgeous looking plant/fruit Dave!

Aaron, did you pull all your tomatoes, even the determinates? I'm on the fence wether I should keep or pull mine...We had a respite from the heat a week or so ago, it was like a switch flipped and my tomatoes put out a lot of flowers. But now that we're back into the 100's I think production may stop again. Do you find that its not worth keeping the determinates going through summer/into fall even if the plants are still healthy? My understanding is they will produce again when the temps cool down. Interested in your regime as you have way more experience than me and we share a similar climate. Appreciate you thoughts!
Yep, I pulled everything but I did not grow any determinants. What caught up with me was disease, heat and stink bugs. Good thing is though, I started really early. If you see new flowers that are actually setting fruit then by all means let them go. Determinates usually set their fruit all at once then the plant dies. In some cases the plant continues on and will have a late 2nd wind. An indeterminate will continuously put on fruit until its stopped by something.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
@DoctorShavegood, thanks for the follow up Aaron. I actually meant indeterminates in my other post, that's all i'm growing. Yep, they put out lots of flowers a week or so ago and a few have tiny fruits showing, so i'll let them go and see what happens. Thanks again.

As long as the plants are healthy and 'ins', when the weather finally agrees with them you should be sitting pretty. Optimism rules in the gardening world.
dave

Some of the dwarfs, basil, chard, the forlorn and lonely waiting for Buddha...

Yesterday planted more pole beans where they hadn't come up and another patch of mixed heirloom kale.

Pulled a couple more garlic bulbs to check for readiness, composted the dozen bulbs left from last year.

file2-9.jpeg
file5-1.jpeg

As big as my fist, big... Dwarf Scarlet Heart
file3-3.jpeg

Indigo Blue Berries almost ready...
file2-11.jpeg

Waiting for a home or the compost bin, started the same time all my plants were, stunted.
file-15.jpeg
IMG_E0898.JPG
IMG_E0897.JPG
IMG_E0896.JPG

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Great garden Dave. Your dwarf scarlets are bigger than mine. A very flavorful tomato and will be grown again in the fall.

Thanks Aaron, every year's different, always changing things up trying new varieties and new methods, never know what you're going to get, so far so good.

I went and took a good look at the that scarlet heart plant and there're seven more tomatoes on the plant but i doubt their combined weight would come close to that single monster, a fluke. I read somewhere, maybe Craig L. saying that variety had great taste, shouldn't be long now.

dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
So I went out to the garden to water and found my largest cantaloupe on the ground. I put a sling under it but it broke. It took the main stem/vine out with it (the main stem broke) so I removed it along with about 5 baby melons that were attached. Anyway, it was pretty big, for a cantaloupe, weighing in over 7lbs. It wasn't quite ripe, needed another week or two i'm guessing.

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 6.31.22 PM.png

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Some of the dwarfs, basil, chard, the forlorn and lonely waiting for Buddha...

Yesterday planted more pole beans where they hadn't come up and another patch of mixed heirloom kale.

Pulled a couple more garlic bulbs to check for readiness, composted the dozen bulbs left from last year.

dave

Looks beautiful Dave!

Thank you BT!

What a drag with the cantaloupe, so close, still looks great! Is there enough time this year to get a second chance at growing another?

That's killer heat you've got happening! I'm okay with it getting hot in the day as long as it cools off at night and you're not seeing that at all. Monday, my thermometer in the shade registered 37C/99F with the humidity at 55% in the afternoon then rising to 84% in the evening, ugly, no air conditioning.

The weather finally broke Tuesday but we'd had a pretty uncomfortable week. Better days ahead.

dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thank you BT!

What a drag with the cantaloupe, so close, still looks great! Is there enough time this year to get a second chance at growing another?

That's killer heat you've got happening! I'm okay with it getting hot in the day as long as it cools off at night and you're not seeing that at all. Monday, my thermometer in the shade registered 37C/99F with the humidity at 55% in the afternoon then rising to 84% in the evening, ugly, no air conditioning.

The weather finally broke Tuesday but we'd had a pretty uncomfortable week. Better days ahead.

dave

Thanks Dave, I still have some baby’s on the vines that are left so hopefully they’ll do ok. Someone wise once mentioned that optimism is important!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday a couple new ones to add to the table, Costoluto Genovese & Indigo Blue Berry. Couldn't resist, had to try for a glam shot.

////////////
file-12 (1).jpg

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nice looking tomatoes. Makes you think of the perfect round insipid ones in the supermarkets.
Why do they think I want pretty, when it's flavour that I'm after.

Those nightly lows would make for a perfect day time high, crazy hot!

Well the gardener across the street showed up today, first time he's been around since i last talked to him the end of May. Had to happen, today my wife picked all the ripe tomatoes from the tomato plants i've been holding for him. He and my neighbour have reconciled, or she needed someone to look after her cat while she's away, his assessment, glad to have him back in the gardening picture. He's set to go with his tomato plants and enough Myke to give them a running start at pot freedom. Ready set go...

dave

Top Bottom