What's new

The Sprout 2018

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Well, to start off, the first day of the year we had a hard freeze and some snow. Tomatoes just don't like that. Maybe I'll get a few that didn't succumb.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This time of year this is how my garden grows. :001_smile

After it thaws out some I may till up a bit of ground.

IMG_0004.JPG

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm about to get inundated with tomatoes. So far 2018 looks like it will be a bumper crop.

20180102_174315.jpg

More tomatoes. I have 27 tomato plants in total this year.

20180102_174255.jpg

The Big Beef is getting bigger.

20180102_174244.jpg

zucchini is going for it.

20180102_174416.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The first tomatoes for my season. A Russian Red on the left, money maker & early girl.
The wife picked these this morning and rang me at work to tell me how nice the Russian Red where.

I've been looking forward to this all day.

20180103_155241.jpg

The first tomato sandwich of the year from my garden, it does not get much better than that.

20180103_155341.jpg

You win the best of 2018 prize Chris, those look great!

I just checked my main seed supplier's website and they still have the 2017 catalogue up...

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
You win the best of 2018 prize Chris, those look great!

I just checked my main seed supplier's website and they still have the 2017 catalogue up...

dave

Thanks, always good to pick the trifecta. :)

When do you sow your first tomato seeds?

Thanks, always good to pick the trifecta. :)

When do you sow your first tomato seeds?

I've come to follow the local lore and after spending years pushing back the envelope as early as i could, transplant the tomato seedlings into the garden near the third weekend in May. I sow the tomato seeds six - seven weeks earlier, peppers, chard, herbs, slow growing stuff and hardier stuff i'll start during spring break which is mid March. We make a run then to our other main seed house which also carries high quality seeding mixes, potting mixes and the various cell packs and trays, kelp & fish meals and fertilizers, all the paraphernalia needed to get things under way.

Heirloom Seedhouse & Nursery: The Cottage Gardener is my main, heritage & open pollinated seeds, lots of stuff i don't see anywhere else up here.

dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Looking forward to the next growing season. I'm thinking about a bit of woodwork beyond the 8'x10" boards I plunked in but that worked very well.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Nice looking tomatoes there Chris. Mine all bit the dust with a 19 degree temperature last night.

Ah, that's no good. Never mind you had fresh garden picked tomatoes for Christmas.
Then again the ones you planted in Aotearoa are still going strong, you can always drop by if you need a tomato fix :)

20180104_161319.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ah, that's no good. Never mind you had fresh garden picked tomatoes for Christmas.
Then again the ones you planted in Aotearoa are still going strong, you can always drop by if you need a tomato fix :)

View attachment 849619
Oh, very nice Cherokee purple. The shoulders will remain green when they are ripe. I ate one tonight on top of my taco salad....delicious.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Oh, very nice Cherokee purple. The shoulders will remain green when they are ripe. I ate one tonight on top of my taco salad....delicious.

Looking forward to trying these.
The wife seems to struggle pronouncing their name. :stuart: I'm sure she won't find any trouble getting her mouth around them when they are ripe. :)

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
We had a bit of a wild weather this weekend. Heaps of rain and wind gusting around 120km / 74.5miles.
A friend of mine was heading back down to the South Island on Saturday on the interisland ferry.
The sailings before and after his sailing were cancelled. He said he lost his lunch about 10 minutes after leaving the harbour. He had never seen a ship go so high up on the waves and passengers were screaming.

Well my friend lost his lunch but I lost a tomato plant. :( Lucky it was just one big beef.
I don't think I'll tell him about my loss...... yeah I will.
Oh the humanity :)

20180107_184334.jpg

Chris is it snapped clean through or still partially attached? If still attached i'd mound the soil up around the break and keep it well watered and see if it can't be saved. You're still early in the growing season.

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I feel your pain Chris. I took out all the frozen tomatoes plants over the past weekend. There must have been 150 tomatoes on those plants. Not one made it. Oh well, you live and learn. Hurricane Harvey put me back by 2 weeks and even adding that time back in would not have been enough. I plan on making some changes for next fall.

Top Bottom