What's new

The Speakeasy Acquisitions 2024

Well nobody ever told me I was a subtle guy. So getting the easy out on 2 cocktails.

IMG_1780.jpg

Ron Matusalem 15 Year Old Gran Reserva Rum--I had been wanting to try this for some time. I am impressed. $24.99 on sale at Virginia ABC. Hard to tell from the on line material, but I am guessing all of the 15 year-olds are solera method, which makes me wonder what 15 year old really means. Dominican, from molasses, from a Cuban recipe. To me a fair amount of vanilla and spice. Dark in color. Reviews seem to peg it as a beginner rum, and I suppose as overly smooth, easy, and pleasant. I like it better than that. No hogo, low esters.

I am really going to have to track down why folks think this is do much beginners rum. I think of my palate as being more or less okay. There must be something I am missing about rums. I guess it seems to me like a more intense Ron Abuelo rum, something I really like.

Last edited:
Bottle update: no seepage noted from that bottle of Graham’s ‘85!
Prepping for Derby Day 2024:
IMG_1380.jpeg
I was able to find two bottles of Weller Special Reserve today. I also found plenty of mint, some of which will go in the ground for Derbies to come.

Bottle of Baby Saz Rye. I don’t know if it’s due to the expansion at Buffalo Trace, but I am seeing it more available lately. $33. Enjoy it in a Sazerac.

Trying to make myself not drink this week… but of course that didn’t stop me from perusing an order from a shop I buy from and grabbing a couple things they had on sale 🙄

Picture of 1800 TEQUILA 3 PACK GIFT SET 375ml

This set of 375’s was $20, mainly grabbed it to try the one on the right which is apparently the Cristalino Anejo.

TACONIC FOUNDERS RYE BARREL STRENGTH 750 STANFORDVILLE,NEW YORK

And then a random bottle of rye from a small producer in NY that I’ve never heard of.

In case you want to do something else than Xmas hopping in late november and want to see what France can offer in term of wine.

This was my go to place to stock up for Xmas gift and what's not good bottle for the year. All wine sold their must be sold by the wine grower and not sold through whole seller in France. It took more than a decade for my brother to finnaly drink all I had stached at my parents house after I left the US, Yes, I used to buy a lot of Wine when I lived in Paris in the early 2000s

This is a massive offering that might take you a day or two to fully peruse if your stomach allow it.

As for my American Friends, it often happened during thanksgiving week end making it a possibility to attend ... just saying.

Unfortunately their website do not appear to not cater to the non french speaking folks

Top Bottom