What's new

The Simpson Trafalgar T2 is the best synthetic I have ever used.

Honestly, I was very skeptical regarding synthetics. Then, the Trafalgar Series appeared: they were inexpensive, the handles looked beautiful and they were Simpsons... I pulled the trigger on a T2 and loved it. After that I got a T1 and loved it even more. To complete the Series I also got a T3 and, finally, purchased a back-up of each!

That’s the problem with brushes!! Once you find one you like, then you ‘need’ to complete the set!
:a29: :a29:

My first brush of any sort was/is a T2. Love it, works really well. I got caught in the "maybe more is better" trap and bought a Chubby 2 Synth. As good as the T2 is, the Chubby 2 is better - for me. If money is no object, I think the Chubby 2 is the perfect, ultimate, end all synth. It's denser, lathers a bit more easily, feels great on my face (face lathering) and is just more luxurious. Is it worth the significant increase in cost? Probably not. Depends on what one wants. If the T2 is a tool, it works great, does exactly what I want. If shaving and hence a brush is more of a hobby, something that is to be enjoyed in it's own right, then the Chubby 2 is a better choice.

While I'm keeping both for now, I'll admit the T2 rarely if ever gets used.

I started a similar thread on July 26 entitled "Simpson Trafalgar T2 ..... first Shave."
It's already six pages long, with many wonderful comments. Here's my opening :

Good Evening Gentlemen ..... I just finished my first shave with my brand new Simpson
Trafalgar T2 brush, and, to be honest, I had no pre-conceived opinion. I've read many
different opinions about this brush, but convinced myself to remain open and objective.
So, ..... here's the deal. Pretty freaking impressive ! Face lathered with Barrister & Mann
Seville, the brush delivered the perfect blend of softness in the tips, lovely backbone, easy
maintaining enough luxurious lather for three smooth passes, and a pretty perfect handle
balanced comfort feel. Yes, it is a small brush, but thanks to the engineers at Simpsons,
it is pretty darn perfect. A sublime combination of balance, face feel, lather competence,
smooth facial stroke harmony, and all around happiness. Thank You Simpson Trafalgar !!!!!

I am primarily a badger brush user, but I do mix in the occasional boar or synthetic.

To date, Muhle STF has been my favorite synthetic and still is as I type this. But, the difference between the Trafalgar brushes and Muhle is not the 3x+ the price you pay for the Muhle.

I own both a T2 and T3 and bought both mostly because I thought the T3 might be too big for me. The T3 is not too big at all and I haven't even gotten the T2 wet yet. I am thinking about gifting it to my dad.

I am in total agreement that the performance of the Trafalgar brushes is exemplary, but also factoring in the cost, they are homeruns!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The t3 arrived today. Very impressed with it overall. The handle feels solid like the chubby 2 but slightly bigger. Nice logo. The knot looks and feels great. Certainly not whats in the isle of man handle. Very impressed with the feel of the knot and a dry run on my face. I already shaved today but im tempted to use it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
First use of t3 today was pretty good. Impressive. I had some low expectations because im not a fan of the chubby 2. Anyway good quality handle. On the small size for my general liking but ok. Gripping it with my fingers i had some hand discomfort after but minimum. The knot is pretty great. I like the size. Its full and thick but not stiff at all. Worked well face lathering. Didn't seem to hog lather. All in all pretty great. Looking forward to more uses. Grading based on price, this is top of the charts.

I am pretty new but for my second brush I got a Chubby 2 synthetic. Short story, I love it.

I have yet to find a soap I can't lather, it's so soft and just a joy to use, whether hot water or cold, presoak or none and cleans up super quick. I was reading on some forums and thought what the heck are these guys talking about when they said x brush was harder to lather. Then I got another badger brush and found out. They aren't all easy to use.

Have to agree. With all the plaudits about this brush I finally gave in and bought a T2. It arrived today and I gave it a test lather.

This is the first synth I’ve had that I actually, really like rather than just tolerate. It has the right amount of splay. I still don’t want to use it with tube creams, because it has the same problem as all synths where the bristles clump together when wet and I can’t lay down a line of cream on them. I’m going to keep using natural hair for that. But for having soft tips it sure lathered soap well. This one’s a keeper.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have the T2 and like it very much. For the price...I couldn't resist. Nice brush!

Just got my T3, and apart from a quality control issue with the handle (WCS has great customer service and is immediately sending another), this has dethroned my RR Plissoft performance-wise. Not quite as feather soft, but fuller and more enveloping. Feels so much better splayed and has a touch more backbone.

My only other brush is a Colonel 2XL that has never failed to shed a few hairs every shave. The price-to-performance of these modern synthetics is making me think twice about ever paying even that much for another brush.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Most synthetics seem to fling some soap around the bathroom

Yeah. The Shave Cave sometimes looks like the site of a high-speed chicken-pluckin' when I get a little too grooved-in on the perfect slickness and warmth of the lather and start trowelling it on.

With a RazoRock Beehive synthetic, BTW. Starting to explore brushes in depth, and looking at synth and boar at the moment.

O.H.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I purchased two Simpson T3 brushes, which I like very much, but I still like my other synthetic brushes very much also. So I guess my point is that the Simpson brushes are a nice addition, but not a replacement to my other brushes.

I had my first shave this morning with a T3 and there's a T2 still in the box that was supposed to be returned in lieu of the T3, but now, having now used the T3, I'm not sure the T2 is going anywhere. Not that I need a three brushes but holy cow that T3 was amaaazing! Denser knot and with a little more backbone than my Maggards brush, which is precisely what I was looking for.

I told myself I wouldn't become an Accumulator... GAH!!

I own the Trafalgar T3 and it’s my go to synthetic brush. I’m surprised Simpson sells them for such a low price; they far exceed their modest price point and I would easily recommend them to a newbie of wet shaving.

My T1 and T2 arrived this afternoon. They look amazing for the $$$. Will likely take the T2 for a spin tonight.

I ordered directly from Simpson and it was less than 2 weeks from the UK to Canada. 👍

Top Bottom