What's new

The Sandalwood Shaveoff

I wish I hadn't missed out on this shaveoff. Sandalwood is my favorite scent. I used the AOS tallow version this morning and would have loved to try the others. Color me jealous.

A restless night with the sound of a crying newborn baby
Out of bed before the sun and a cup of coffee saves me

A brisk run in the misty light of a cool and waking dawn
A shower and a luxury shave with a shaving cream icon

Out the door to start a day with true inspiration
Smelling like a million bucks is a luxury sensation

Day three with Truefitt & Hill and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite creams I have ever used, mostly due to the scent; I absolutely love it.

ATT S1
Gillette 7 O'clock yellow
Omega 10066
Truefitt & Hill ASB

I shaved right after my shower again as usual and performed my usual 2 pass shave. I rarely venture outside of what has proven to work perfectly.

The performance is exactly what one would expect from a luxury cream but I do agree with Vez, it is a thirsty cream and I add a little more water even after I think the cream consistency is perfect and the cream is the slickest I have ever used. I haven't had a bad shave with this cream and when paired with the balm the scent lasts well into the late morning. Post shave is great with this cream which is very important to me. If this cream shaved great but left my skin feeling dry afterwards then I could not consider this a great cream. I would rather have a cream not perform very well but have tremendous post shave because that is what I'm left with for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
I wish I hadn't missed out on this shaveoff. Sandalwood is my favorite scent. I used the AOS tallow version this morning and would have loved to try the others. Color me jealous.

Don't feel too bad. These are both quite good creams, but neither one of them is "Sandalwoody" in the way you would think.

I have to say that I am really enjoying the Truefitt and Hill Sandalwood. I get a close comfortable shave, and the I love the scent. Whether it's a A Sandalwood scent is for others more experienced to determine, but I like it very much. This cream also helped to remind me of how much I enjoy using my Semogue 830 Boar. It's a wonderful combination. The only real negative that I can see is that the cream can dry out quickly both on my face and on both my face and brush for additional passes. Perhaps I'll try it with more water in my brush the next go around, instead of continuing to add water as I go along.

Whereas in the past I thought that I'd just stick with Artisan products, I can definitely see myself exploring more Truefitt and Hill products. One note on the balm sample that was included with the soap. It doesn't seem to soak in as quickly as I would like, and is a bit tacky on my face for quite a while it's applied. Perhaps I'm using too much, but it's difficult to control the amount that gets dispensed from the sample pack, and I don't want to waste any. I'd love to hear other people's experiences with the brand, particularly the hard soap.

Really? Which one should I try then?
I can't say we're spoilt for choice when it comes to true-sandalwood-scented shaving agents. Of the paucity of choices, I'd say your AoS best approximates the essence of sandalwood. You might want to also consider Proraso [though earthier, and a tad spicier than the creamy AoS], or D.R.Harris, which is not uniformly Sandalwood but still a lot closer, IMO, to sandalwood than TH's cologne-like or TOBS' floral/cologne-like takes. [As fine as all of the aforementioned creams may be, I doubt any of them, use authentic Mysore sandalwood.]

Last edited:
No, but growing up we used to go to Meijer and get self serve ice cream. You'd pay for the cone, and then put the ice cream in yourself. My dad taught me the fine skill of the perfect swirl, to get the most amount of ice cream.

Really? Which one should I try then?

Shavingcreams.com sells their house brand "Hirsch luxury" which is great cream. I like their sandlewood scent. 8 whole oz too and they always have sales if you sign up for their newsletter thing.
They sell AOS there too. I picked up four AOS creams last sale for total of 60 shipped.

T&H #2
Merkur Futur @ 2.5
Fresh 7OC SS Blade
Rooney Victorian Super
John Allan SlickWater
Pre de Provence soap for überlather

loaded up the soap well
Used a generous quantity of cream

Felt like I had a rich lather
But, in fact I again found the whiskers inadequately softened / moistened and had an uncomfortable shave. Not DFS. Some after irritation from the second pass lathering and after.

Just my opinion, but this product is clearly inferior to the TOBS and not something I would add to my rotation. Just to be a good sport, I will go around once again tomorrow with much more cream and a very mild razor.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 69
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 69
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 70
So I am quite late on a few updates, so here goes:

Day 6 TOBS

Decided to use my CJB w/ feather AC Pro blades. This proved to be a poor decision with the TOBS cream and I will not use the kami style or straights on any follow on shaves. My neck was the most irritated it has been this week.
SOTD
$1106150809~2.jpg

Day 7 TOBS

The last day. Fairly good shave considering everything. My neck still hasn't really settled from Day 6. I went with the R41 with used feather blade. This was a fairly tuggy shave and I've promised myself to switch it out before T&H. Unfortunately no pictures as I had to get on the road to my family's house.

Day 1 T&H

The scent is too strong. I'm not a person to shy from strong scents, but T&H was close to the line. The scent is a nice fresh cologne with a base/hint of sandalwood. I'm left fairly disappointed, again, that there is no straight sandalwood. However, unlike TOBS, I find you can actually get some sandalwood out of the scent.

I actually like the tube quite a bit. It's easy to use and apply the cream to the brush.

The lather was quite slick and moderately less protective in comparison to TOBS. No complaints really. The shave itself was fairly good, but without taking a day off, I'm afraid that some irritation from using TOBS is carrying over. Post shave is pretty good, but I slapped on some aqua velva and went about my day. Not a bad decision at all and I thought the mingling of scents is pretty good.

$1108151244~2.jpg$1108151245a~2.jpg

Day 2 T&H
Shave was fairly rough with 4-5 weepers/nicks. The lather seemed good so it's probably on me. Finished up with the balm. Going into Day 3, I'm not super happy with the balm as a post shave. The scent is better than the cream though, more of the sandalwood comes through.

Day 3 T&H
This was a repeat of Day 2. I was a bit frustrated and decided to take Day 4 off from shaving. I also finished this shave with the aftershave balm and was similarly unimpressed. It is not a bad balm, but I've used better at this point.

$1108151241a~2~2.jpg

Day 4 T&H
Day off WOO

Day 5 T&H
BBS with NO IRRITATION. I am a happy camper. Unfortunately no pics as I was rushing for work. I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Shave 5 today.

Decided to try my parker shavette for first pass.
Not bad for first try with a shavette lol. But definitly need practice.
Finished with my faithful MR8 and some proraso splash followed by Nivea ASB to help the healing.
I do like the cream alot, but can't see myself using it daily.
Not because of the cream in any way, but because I'm ADD and like to switch my products.
But I do enjoy this cream. Because it is in a tube it's cleaner for me. I don't like putting my brush into any of my tubs.
But even though I never used a shavette, it allowed me to try it without cutting myself!!!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Love reading everyone's reviews, but sometimes I wonder if you guys are using the same cream as me. I'm sure you're thinking the same thing.:tongue_sm

tankerjohn

Shave number 1:
View attachment 614809
I kept the same equipment as the TOBS last week. I have to say, the packaging and presentation are top notch. I took a whiff of this and instantly fell in love with the scent. It doesn't quite top AOS but is very close. This is a mature scent to me. It may not be a pure sandalwood but I don't care. Whatever it is just works.
View attachment 614811
I went with a normal amount of product to start out with. This was my first experience with T&H.
View attachment 614812
No water added yet, just a damp brush. No problems yet.
View attachment 614813
This was my final product. Easy to make lather that is dense and rich. The smell of this cream helped set my expectations cautiously high. I was very pleasantly surprised that this cream met and even exceeded those expectations. The shaving gods smiled on me this day and everything came together in a near perfect shave. Two passes left me very close to BBS with zero irritation or redness. I noticed that this cream was very easy to rinse off. C&E ASB only served to make my face soft and smooth. I was stroking my face all day in amazement. Shave one, which was yesterday, was a resounding success. I hoped to see the same today.
Lovely 47c, sir. Seriously underrated razor.

tankerjohn

T&H shave five

Razor: Gillette Red Tip
Brush: Semogue 620
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Bay Rum

$image.jpg

Another quicky today. This morning was mainly notable because it was the maiden voyage for my 620, which lathered up the Sandalwood admirably. Then it was two passes with the Red Tip for a nice DFS and out the door. But not before splashing on some CC Bay Rum. Oooo, that's good stuff!

Like a lot of the other reviewers, I do believe I'm liking the T&H better than the TOBS. I'm mainly surprised by this realization because I had always assumed that the 3Ts' creams were more or less the same except for scents. But clearly not.

Top Bottom