What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

I'm an everyday Pomade user. Love the look, I feel classically handsome, and I love the stuff their coming out with now a days.

My top 3 Pomades in order are..

1. My everyday pomade, The Daimon Barber No. 1 (scent is amazing, hold is great, can be restyled, doesnt dry, and is water based)
2. Teddy boy original is my back up.. (scent good, hold great, doesnt dry, is water based. doesnt hold like my #1 but still good hold)
3. Admiral's will be my 3rd choice if either of the first two are not within reach.

All 3 are outstanding pomades.

If so I think I'll skip it, I'm not a huge fan of Murray's Superior - the hold is simply not enough for me. My top 3 Murray's pomades are: the X-Tra Heavy, the Small Batch 50-50 and the Hair-Glo. Many thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I'd never even heard of Xtra Heavy or Small Batch 50-50 before. I will have to look into that. My hair requires a very heavy pomade. Murray's Superior and Dax Wave and Groom can keep it in place for most of the day, but Lusters S-Curl was the only thing I have found that can keep it all day so far. Even High Life Heavy has proven inadequate.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'd never even heard of Xtra Heavy or Small Batch 50-50 before. I will have to look into that. My hair requires a very heavy pomade. Murray's Superior and Dax Wave and Groom can keep it in place for most of the day, but Lusters S-Curl was the only thing I have found that can keep it all day so far. Even High Life Heavy has proven inadequate.

Murray's recently released 3 Special Edition pomades: X-Tra Heavy, Superior Vintage and Small Batch 50-50.

X-Tra Heavy: The Original formula + 25% more wax. This pomade is STRONG, for those who demand extra hold.

Superior Vintage: The Original formula housed in the original 1926 tin. Same vintage graphics and same vintage scent. A Collector's piece.

Small Batch 50/50: 50% Original formula + 50% Exelento. A great Medium Hold, with great skin/scalp care.

I couldnt pass up a weekend price of a mere £4.79 inc delivery via Amazon. An 80gr jar is on its way some time this week.

Kinda enjoying a better shine these days, now I've gone for the full fade side part / part pomp.

It arrived a few days ago and I must say the scent is superb, even SWMBO said WOW great scent.Its a kinda sandalwood and a mild lavender, very nice but doesnt last too long, maybe a hour tops. Its green in colour and came in a small 80ml glass pot with a screw tin lid top. It goes in very easily and leaves a superb shine. I've been using it with my regular store brand styling putty to great results. However as I'm in need on a trim I've backed it up with a little B&W pomade. Other wise a must for all old school cuts.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
It arrived a few days ago and I must say the scent is superb, even SWMBO said WOW great scent.Its a kinda sandalwood and a mild lavender, very nice but doesnt last too long, maybe a hour tops. Its green in colour and came in a small 80ml glass pot with a screw tin lid top. It goes in very easily and leaves a superb shine. I've been using it with my regular store brand styling putty to great results. However as I'm in need on a trim I've backed it up with a little B&W pomade. Other wise a must for all old school cuts.

It's my intention to get this Light Hold pomade as a companion for my beloved Murray's Hair-Glo when in need for a superior high gloss finish. Thanks for the update, Sir.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gents, this morning I used the Murray's combo X-Tra Heavy/Hair-Glo and I'm very impressed with the results. It's late evening now in Italy and today we had a sunny but windy weather here in Rome. My hair are exactly as I combed them this morning, not even one single hair out of place! Also, it was funny to use Murray's strongest and lightest pomade in combo, I simply got the best of both worlds: the firmest hold (X-Tra Heavy) along with the brightest high gloss finish (Hair-Glo). I got congratulations for the beautiful look from all my friends and one of them even asked what hair gel was that. My answer: "No hair gel, Old School pomades" and the discussion went on for about half an hour. That friend now wants to get some pomades for himself, too...

As someone born in the 90's this whole idea of the return to the traditional man speaks to me. Marco your first post was excellent, and once I made the change to wet shaving the switch back to classic hair styles and pomades came soon after. I had for the longest time gone to an old Italian barber, who cut hair for the love, but as he aged it was increasingly slow and he just didn't have the time. I found many new barber shops, which followed the traditional model, but were frequented by young men.
These are great places as they are to me as barber shops used to be. A place to go and speak with your fellow man, my barber knows my name, knows how I like my hair cut and knows which pomade I prefer. That and during the cut I can chat with him about the news/cars/etc. It is great to see that the traditional places still exist.

As for pomades this is my humble collection. All three Layrites, the Uppercut deluxe and a local brand North Standard which is an excellent grease/oil type pomade. A few missing from the collection is the venerable Murray's Pomade in the orange container, Dax wave and groom, Baxter of California and Suavecito. However these remained at home while I am away at school because the other 5 are the most used in my rotation.
$everything.jpg

This is how I kept my skin fade, executive cut groomed today.
$layrite.jpg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
As someone born in the 90's this whole idea of the return to the traditional man speaks to me. Marco your first post was excellent, and once I made the change to wet shaving the switch back to classic hair styles and pomades came soon after. I had for the longest time gone to an old Italian barber, who cut hair for the love, but as he aged it was increasingly slow and he just didn't have the time. I found many new barber shops, which followed the traditional model, but were frequented by young men.
These are great places as they are to me as barber shops used to be. A place to go and speak with your fellow man, my barber knows my name, knows how I like my hair cut and knows which pomade I prefer. That and during the cut I can chat with him about the news/cars/etc. It is great to see that the traditional places still exist.

As for pomades this is my humble collection. All three Layrites, the Uppercut deluxe and a local brand North Standard which is an excellent grease/oil type pomade. A few missing from the collection is the venerable Murray's Pomade in the orange container, Dax wave and groom, Baxter of California and Suavecito. However these remained at home while I am away at school because the other 5 are the most used in my rotation.
View attachment 529464

This is how I kept my skin fade, executive cut groomed today.
View attachment 529465

Sir, I totally agree with all your thoughts. The true Barbershop is not only a place where to have your hair propely cut, but also a place where to meet, drink a coffee together and discuss on everything. This is a powerful return to bygone days and to what was the original concept of barbershop.

You have a lovely collection of pomades, my friend. With the exception of North Standard I know them all very well.

P.S. Sir, please forgive me - what is you name? If not asking too much we at B&B would appreciate if you could add it in your signature. Just to make things more friendly, as in our beloved barbershops. :001_smile

P.S. Sir, please forgive me - what is you name? If not asking too much we at B&B would appreciate if you could add it in your signature. Just to make things more friendly, as in our beloved barbershops. :001_smile

Marco, pleasure to meet you I'm Alex.

My favorite combo as of late is:

Day 1 - Shiner Gold High Sheen - Great hold that stays all day. Really nice scent. I just straight up love the look.
Day 2 - O'Douds Heavy Hold - Lighter hold with a better scent, I think the leftover hold from Shiner really helps it along. Side benefit is that it helps rinse out the shiner gold.
Day 3 - Dax Roots - More of hair cream, limited hold with little scent, but it makes my hair happy and I can play with my hair all day.
Day 4 - Dax Roots - See Day 3.
Day 5 - Woody's Web - Water based pomade. Good hold, but relaxes nicely and does not get the crunchy feel of some water based pomades. Rinsing his out fully cleans my hair.
Day 6 - No idea, I do what I feel like.
Day 7 - No idea, I do what I feel like.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
OK Gents, after some hesitation today I finally decided to pull the trigger on two DAX pomades I desired to try: Wave & Groom and Neat Waves. I'm very curious about them and definitely want to see how they do perform alone and, most importantly to me, in combo. Order was placed today, probably shipping tomorrow but, at this point, I'm not sure they will arrive before Christmas. Anyway, I'll update as soon as they'll be here. Stay tuned!

what little hair I have left atop of my head is unruly. I don't guess I'll have that hair long enough to accumulate, let alone consume to 3017 ends, the vast variety of pomades that some of you have acquired. anyway, trust me when I confirm that Marco's methodology for removing petrolatum-based goo works even if the olive oil in the shower might make one's significant other guess that you are preparing a salad in the bathroom (shades of a Seinfeld episode where Cosmo Kramer washed lettuce while showering -- yecch!).

$15426895703_bbbe618727_z.jpg

goon grease has displaced a small arsenal of water-based pomades that includes a couple of Baxter of California products, Layrite, **** Grease XXX and Suavecito.

what little hair I have left atop of my head is unruly. I don't guess I'll have that hair long enough to accumulate, let alone consume to 3017 ends, the vast variety of pomades that some of you have acquired. anyway, trust me when I confirm that Marco's methodology for removing petrolatum-based goo works even if the olive oil in the shower might make one's significant other guess that you are preparing a salad in the bathroom (shades of a Seinfeld episode where Cosmo Kramer washed lettuce while showering -- yecch!).

View attachment 531232

goon grease has displaced a small arsenal of water-based pomades that includes a couple of Baxter of California products, Layrite, **** Grease XXX and Suavecito.

:lol:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
OK Gents, after some hesitation today I finally decided to pull the trigger on two DAX pomades I desired to try: Wave & Groom and Neat Waves. I'm very curious about them and definitely want to see how they do perform alone and, most importantly to me, in combo. Order was placed today, probably shipping tomorrow but, at this point, I'm not sure they will arrive before Christmas. Anyway, I'll update as soon as they'll be here. Stay tuned!

I just got an e-mail notification on this order as "shipped". The pack is coming from the Netherlands and could arrive just in time for Christmas. Fingers crossed.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hoping for the best, sir! How much does DAX cost over there?

Adam, I placed the order at www.pomade-online.com and paid €5,95 for each tin of DAX. The good thing is that you get free European shipping with Express Courier for all orders of +€50,00. Also, they have a very nice selection of traditional and new pomades, both oil and water based. To me one of the best places where to buy here in Europe.

Top Bottom