What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thanks for that.

Any one here ever use Yardley Lavender Brilliantine?

Yardley English Lavender Brilliantine is on my short list of cover pomades to try. It's one of the oldest high gloss pomades still around, since presented to the world at the 1900 Exposition Universelle in Paris. Its nostalgic glass jar and metal screw cap with vintage logo is simply spectacular.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Yardley English Lavender Brilliantine is on my short list of cover pomades to try. It's one of the oldest high gloss pomades still around, since presented to the world at the 1900 Exposition Universelle in Paris. Its nostalgic glass jar and metal screw cap with vintage logo is simply spectacular.

I couldnt pass up a weekend price of a mere £4.79 inc delivery via Amazon. An 80gr jar is on its way some time this week.

$Yardley.png

Kinda enjoying a better shine these days, now I've gone for the full fade side part / part pomp.

My latest eBay score:

proxy.php

8 tins of Luster's Pomade in the old style metal tins for $25 shipped.

By far my favorite pomade of all time, with Murray's Superior and Dax Wave and Groom tied for second.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I would like to try Admirals but have seen no reviews :(

You should Nick, they are some of the finest water based pomades available IMHO. A few weeks ago I suggested this brand to my barbershop and Paolo, my Master Barber, is now officially the 1st barbershop in Italy to stock Admiral. On my last haircut we tried the Medium Hold Fiber on my College Contour and we were both impressed by its performance: great hold, great shine, great scent. A winner.

You should Nick, they are some of the finest water based pomades available IMHO. A few weeks ago I suggested this brand to my barbershop and Paolo, my Master Barber, is now officially the 1st barbershop in Italy to stock Admiral. On my last haircut we tried the Medium Hold Fiber on my College Contour and we were both impressed by its performance: great hold, great shine, great scent. A winner.
Thanks Marco. Now what does it smell like?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gents, I was thinking about reconsidering DAX. Time ago I had the Green & Gold (Green DAX) and although I considered it a good product it did not steal my heart. The ingredients list was interesting, the shine was OK but the hold was simply not enough for me, hence lacking and disappointing into this category. What I want is a super strong pomade to use as a base and I was thinking about trying the Wave & Groom (Red DAX), but would like to have some inputs on it from those who own it and use it regularly. In particular how is the hold of the Wave & Groom compared to Murray's Superior and to Sweet Georgia Brown Blue? If it's more than Murray's Superior and comparable to SGB Blue I may give it a try, if not I'll pass. If pulling the trigger I was also thinking about getting a tin of the Neat Waves (Orange DAX) to use both as a cover and as a touch-up pomade. I've read that the Neat Waves is a wonderful Medium Hold with great shine and that's exactly what I get from my SGB Red and Murray's Small Batch 50-50.

Last edited:
Once of the guys at work uses the wave and groom Dax product. His hair is super shiny and it doesnt seem to move out of place at all through out the day. He does have a curl to his hair and it keeps it looking very tidy. Mind he did say he has to use hand soap to remove it as its terribly water resistant. I mentioned your Olive oil treament but havent seen him for a while so dont know how he got on.

Gents, I was thinking about reconsidering DAX. Time ago I had the Green & Gold (Green DAX) and although I considered it a good product it did not steal my heart. The ingredients list was interesting, the shine was OK but the hold was simply not enough for me, hence lacking and disappointing into this category. What I want is a super strong pomade to use as a base and I was thinking about trying the Wave & Groom (Red DAX), but would like to have some inputs on it from those who own it and use it regularly. In particular how is the hold of the Wave & Groom compared to Murray's Superior and to Sweet Georgia Brown Blue? If it's more than Murray's Superior and comparable to SGB Blue I may give it a try, if not I'll pass. If pulling the trigger I was also thinking about getting a tin of the Neat Waves (Orange DAX) to use both as a cover and as a touch-up pomade. I've read that the Neat Waves is a wonderful Medium Hold with great shine and that's exactly what I get from my SGB Red and Murray's Small Batch 50-50.

Dax Wave and Groom (Red) is very similar to Murrays Superior in terms of conisistency and hold. It has a slighlty less greasy feel though.

Marco my friend been a long time! Had no idea you were into pomades until I saw this thread you posted. There is another pomade I think you would be very interested in. I don't know if it has been mentioned already but the pomade is Black & White. I comes in a 7 oz tub and is amazing value for the amount you get. I have very thick curly dense hair and although I have recently started using pomades my favorites at the moment are Lockhart's Medium & Goon Grease. Just excellent. As far as WB pomades go, i'm waiting for Slick Devil which is another I think you would be interested in. From reviews and blogs i've read, Slick devil WB based pomades works almost like an oil based but washes out with ease. Great thread and hope to keep finding about other new pomades I haven't tried. Have a great one my friend!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Dax Wave and Groom (Red) is very similar to Murrays Superior in terms of conisistency and hold. It has a slighlty less greasy feel though.

If so I think I'll skip it, I'm not a huge fan of Murray's Superior - the hold is simply not enough for me. My top 3 Murray's pomades are: the X-Tra Heavy, the Small Batch 50-50 and the Hair-Glo. Many thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco my friend been a long time! Had no idea you were into pomades until I saw this thread you posted. There is another pomade I think you would be very interested in. I don't know if it has been mentioned already but the pomade is Black & White. I comes in a 7 oz tub and is amazing value for the amount you get. I have very thick curly dense hair and although I have recently started using pomades my favorites at the moment are Lockhart's Medium & Goon Grease. Just excellent. As far as WB pomades go, i'm waiting for Slick Devil which is another I think you would be interested in. From reviews and blogs i've read, Slick devil WB based pomades works almost like an oil based but washes out with ease. Great thread and hope to keep finding about other new pomades I haven't tried. Have a great one my friend!

Balaji, my friend, it's one year now that I have a serious illness... The doctor told me it's called PAD and there's no cure. But, at least it seems that I'm not alone, many here are as sick as me. Now, seriously, I know Black & White and I think it's a great Medium Hold pomade, but as you probably have read through this thread, I like to use oil based pomades in combos: a Strong Hold as a base and a Medium Hold as a cover, with an occasional Light Hold as a finisher for extra shine. My current favourite combos are Sweet Georgia Brown Blue/Red and Murray's X-Tra Heavy/Small Batch 50-50, with Murray's Hair-Glo and Royal Crown as finishers. B&W sadly has no Strong Hold, hence there's no chance to use B&W in combo within the same brand. Anyway, thank you for the suggestion and of course thanks for the nice words of appreciation.

Top Bottom