What's new

The Ralph Lauren dream brush is in hand. Knot prognosis: not good.

She's a beauty, fellas. The pics didn't do her justice. I'd post some more now that she's in hand, but my lackluster photography skills certainly won't illuminate anything that the original pics didn't.

As for the knot... well, it's probably coming out. The up side is that it's definitely the softest hair that I've ever felt. Even more so than my Kent BK4. The down side is that it's already lost somewhere between 25 - 30 hairs in one test lather. The shedding needs to stop, like right NOW, or there just won't be anything left of this knot in a week.

So... I'm thinking in advance of restoration knot candidates. I know I originally expressed an interest in black badger, but now that I'm holding this piece of art in my hands, I want nothing but the absolute best, most luxurious knot I can possibly put into it. Any suggestions?

What size is the original knot?

With out cannibalizing a new brush, your best option for an ultra high end knot would be a Shavemac. Though I hear they are just shy of the price the brush would have been.

What size is the original knot?

This is where I have to claim ignorance, unfortunately. I really don't know how to tell. Do I need calipers? I can say that the bloom looks about like my BK4, which I think is a 22mm. Just by eyeballing, I wouldn't put it over 22mm.

Sorry to hear it's shedding, but a new silver tip knot will make it better than new! I would contact one of the guys that post some of their work on here for advise.

Caliper would help, but just eyeballing it next to another brush is good enough for this. 22mm sounds about right for that kind of brush. Not to big or to small to offend anyone.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Just measure there where the hair comes out of the handle, a decent ruler should be fine. The Silvertip Grade A is a very nice knot, but if you really want to splurge, get a custom made knot from Shavemac. They are the best badger hair knots available, and you have the choice of different hair qualities, and the knot can be made to your specs (knot size and loft).

Just measure there where the hair comes out of the handle, a decent ruler should be fine. The Silvertip Grade A is a very nice knot, but if you really want to splurge, get a custom made knot from Shavemac. They are the best badger hair knots available, and you have the choice of different hair qualities, and the knot can be made to your specs (knot size and loft).

Thanks Rudy. I appreciate your expertise. This is a special enough occasion that I might actually consider a Shavemac knot. Got a link to where I can buy one?

I'm a big fan of RL, but I didn't know they made a branded brush ... where did you find it?

Ebay, if you can believe it. You gotta keep an eye out though. They don't turn up often.

Where is the best source for a "plain-jane" badger knot? I would like to try my hand at replacing a knot and don't want to spend any more than I have to. Does anyone make boar knots?

Thanks Rudy. I appreciate your expertise. This is a special enough occasion that I might actually consider a Shavemac knot. Got a link to where I can buy one?

Ebay, if you can believe it. You gotta keep an eye out though. They don't turn up often.
sounds like you got a Polo handle with a Chaps knot.

I think the Grade A Silvertip from TGN compares really well to D01 from Shavemac, albeit with a huge difference in knot density. Individual hairs seem to have similar spring and softness in the tips, but the Shavemac knot is packed so densely in comparison. I have a little 18/40mm Grade A, and it releases lather fairly well, but still retains enough spine to properly face lather.

I think the Grade A Silvertip from TGN compares really well to D01 from Shavemac, albeit with a huge difference in knot density. Individual hairs seem to have similar spring and softness in the tips, but the Shavemac knot is packed so densely in comparison. I have a little 18/40mm Grade A, and it releases lather fairly well, but still retains enough spine to properly face lather.

Thanks for the info. I'm all for spending less money if it's going to get me nearly the same result.

Are you sure the knot can not be glued back in place? Bernd at Shavemac has replaced knots for me on several brushes. Fine work and worth the cost.

They are fine knots, you just have to set them very low to simulate the density...assuming you want that. Its just something to take into consideration that the hole for the knot might not be that deep on this brush. It could also be very deep too, who knows.

Actually come to think of it a the coloring of a two band knot might look very handsome backed by the pewter handle.

Last edited:
Are you sure the knot can not be glued back in place? Bernd at Shavemac has replaced knots for me on several brushes. Fine work and worth the cost.

I hadn't considered this. Hell, I didn't even know there was anyone capable of doing such a thing. I'm afraid though that the knot has already lost a ton of density due to shedding. Then again, what do I know? I didn't exactly get to see the thing when it was brand new.

Loric... I'm this close to asking you to meet up somewhere and help me restore this thing. I got lucky with my Old Spice restoration. It's as simple as that. You're some kind of brush guru though. I could give you a tube of C.O. Bigelow for your troubles or something.

Loric... I'm this close to asking you to meet up somewhere and help me restore this thing. I got lucky with my Old Spice restoration. It's as simple as that. You're some kind of brush guru though. I could give you a tube of C.O. Bigelow for your troubles or something.

I would not mind taking a look at such a handsome brush, but I have to admit I have never set a knot in my life. I have just had a lot of brushes filter threw my hands. Enough to know what I like, I just lack the good judgment to shut up about it :lol: Plus I have pestered SliceOfLife about 8000 times, he is the real Guru. He actually has a good thread where he talks about several of the TGN knots, it might be worth a look for you right now. Thanks for the kind words though.

I just took a look at the TGN Super Badger knots. The lofts are 65mm and 70mm depending on shape. At the native loft they would be very tall and floppy. The depth of the hole will be very important in your decision indeed.

Last edited:
There are several gents on this site that have set knots before. I have set one a few years ago. The knot held after curing. I don't remember what glue I used. You can try this first. If it does not work, send it to Bernd or one of our fine brushmakers.

I see. Well, I don't want to enlist you in something you're not comfortable dabbling in. You make a good point about loft, though. It's something I'm stressing out about. Say, for example, that I go with the Grade A Silvertip 22mm x 65mm on TGN. What happens if I dig this old knot out and the knot bed is super shallow? I basically get stuck with a new knot that has enormous loft? Because I don't want that at all for this brush. I can see why some people PAY to have their brushes restored...

Top Bottom