What's new

The Portly Regent in the company of its peers

I finally knotted this one with a Maggard 22mm Silvertip, at about 48mm loft.

P6260037sm.JPG

Three shaves in and the Portly Regent is a confirmed success. Maggard's silvertip knots are nice and dense, but not quite as cushy as a Simpson Super knot, I feel like they're a great compromise between luxury and actually having some tip texture for more face feel.

And now for something completely different...

well, not really.

Portly Regent Mk II, slightly less portly and in lignum vitae, rather than bocote, a Maggard 22mm 2-band is test fitted.

P6290038sm.JPG

...anybody who likes bigger knots, I did another in LV and somehow botched the knot hole so it's 25mm, if you'll use it let me know and I'll send it your way! (the wall of the knot socket is thin enough that opening to 26mm might not be advisable)

No idea how I managed to misalign the 22mm forstner bit so badly in my lathe, or how the hole turned out so clean despite the total failure to bore it correctly?!?

Rec’d LV handle from @awa54 the other day and have been thinking about what knot to use. I primarily use badgers, but do use syn/boar about once a week. Figured i try what i have on hand that would fit and it ended up being a boar knot from an Omega 40033. Liked that brush but the handle is too small for everyday use so I transplanted knot into what he sent me.

It was a perfect fit with the cup that Omega puts their knots in. Wasn’t sure if Id like how it looked, but once in, it looks pretty good. Took it for a spin and works great-very comfortable and hefty handle. Thanks again @awa54.

E3C821B4-A9C0-4A19-B58A-58905813C671.jpeg
73A8436A-6EE3-4B10-8BDD-E1CF71A41430.jpeg

Really like the shape/weight of the handle, but with the boar, i wasnt using this brush as much as I wanted to. So I built up inside diameter of handle using epoxy/nylon mesh strips to accommodate a smaller badger knot I had.

Here is 2 applications of epoxy/mesh that decreased diameter from 25mm to 23mm.
A7AE0150-894F-4F52-9FC1-EE9767F08AB4.jpeg

Here it with TGN finest bulb 20x49. Now it’ll get the use it deserves.
AD819B39-742C-445D-9A99-677A2567979D.jpeg

If you rub down the unfinished lignum vitae handles with a bar/kitchen/hand towel they'll gloss up quite easily and smell nicely resinous for a while afterward.

Top Bottom